Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

You have probably already seen this site but some lovely models which would fit in nicely:

http://www.kingfisherminiatures.co.uk/1-76-Vehicles-c1.htm

Thanks for that, that manufacturer had actually passed me by.

They are pricer than sands but the detail looks finer. I shall have to see how the sands ones turn out ( bearing in mind they are designed for war gaming so may be less detail more sturdy ),

Thanks for the info, I would also like a couple of Bedfords although they were getting rarer by the end of the 90s I feel looking at photos

They are pricer than sands but the detail looks finer. I shall have to see how the sands ones turn out ( bearing in mind they are designed for war gaming so may be less detail more sturdy ),

Thanks for the info, I would also like a couple of Bedfords although they were getting rarer by the end of the 90s I feel looking at photos

We had loads of Bedfords still in the early 90s at my regiment

We had loads of Bedfords still in the early 90s at my regiment

Only just found this Rob. EXCELLENT detail work.

Thanks for the info ESS1,And thanks for the words Pete.Having just brought the wife a new fridge for the garage and a new dyson in that horrible ' Black Friday ' I felt justified in acquiring one of the bargain RFD 47s from hattons, as they fit the period and location perfectly.

post-450-0-67593700-1448820222_thumb.jpegpost-450-0-67593700-1448820222_thumb.jpeg

This comes as 47365. I have spent enjoyable time searching Flickr for images of MOD trains of the period, and have amassed a lot of images of RFD 47s, class 37s, 58s and the odd 60.

Likely candidate for this to renumber to is 47306 ' the sapper' . I wanted to do 47033 , but in conversation with James makin, it appears some roof surgery would be needed and I'm not sure I have the time to give it.

I'm off for a week now, so hope to finish the footbridge and the fiddle yard plywood top should be appearing as well

I'm going to be selling off some stuff on eBay shortly to fund this constant expansion - namely 4CIG blue grey, Stratford blue roof 47276 , bauxite brakevan and anything being sat around not being used.maybe even my inspection coach...

• Like 9

You could always have a couple of Bedfords and a few DAFs! Some nice Fodens too.....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Thanks for the info on the 432s. That kit looks like it's going to be a lot of work to get them looking right. Good luck with it let us know how it goes together.

Regards Lez.Z. 

Some more work, in between putting up the Xmas lights.

The ' modern ' foorbridge is nearly there. Plastic strip and basswood, and plastruct steps.

post-450-0-52388300-1449004006_thumb.jpeg

I put a discarded magazine and fag packet on it

post-450-0-82250500-1449004045_thumb.jpeg

The baseboard top for the fiddle yard came today. So many possibilities with a plain sheet of plywood !

It was nice to remove the buffers this end and have a look out at the plywood world beyond.

post-450-0-40747900-1449004131_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-13577000-1449004157_thumb.jpeg

I'll be messing about with the fiddle yard board getting it attached tomorrow, and maybe finish the bridge.

As well as Xmas shopping.....

• Like 7

So I joined the fiddle yard properly this time, the join is nice and flat.

Here is some quality reading matter holding down the cork tiles.

post-450-0-71885000-1449079222_thumb.jpeg

First loco across the join was 60026, this always does the honours as the fleet flagship .

post-450-0-43552800-1449079303_thumb.jpeg

I always test a variety of stock with this sort of extension.thus the yard is a bit busy with 08,37,47 and 60 all having a turn.

post-450-0-57687200-1449079360_thumb.jpeg

Also managed to get this lot done !

post-450-0-88242900-1449079392_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

English Electric Lightning - Incredible machine. I lived just off the flightpath of Binbrook in the 70's when they were operational there.

:offtopic:

Back in the 90s when I used to drive Arun Valley line out of Horsham depot, there was a scrapyard near Portsmouth in the triangle between Hilsea, Cosham and Bedhampton stations. Visible from the train was a big pile of Lightning cockpits. Always meant to stop the train and take a picture but I never did. Found this on Flickr, though:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77175657@N00/8634488176

Even disembodied, they were a stirring sight. Fantastic aircraft.

Sorry for the O/T drift, Rob, Acklam's post just reminded me.

• Like 2

Thanks for the Kingfisher link, I've just got myself a couple of kits from there.

As for the Bedfords, I was mobilised from the reserves into a foreign policy adventure in 2003 and was hugely surprised to find that aside from the squaddies getting younger the kit, radios and vehicles hadn't changed much. My Bedford MJ out there was christened Roxanne and I was very fond of her.

Edited by Moggs Eye
  • Like 4

English Electric Lightning - Incredible machine. I lived just off the flightpath of Binbrook in the 70's when they were operational there.

A great machine indeed !

Pete, that photo is interesting as they are ex- Saudi versions.must have flown back for disposal.

My database of MoD train shots continues. Just found Tim Horns Flickr pages- some great stuff around wymondham .

Also found shots of trains at Wool, powered by 2 EDs. I'll have to see how the Dapol version turns out.

• Like 1

The corner by the footbridge, next to the depot has received some work.

The bright yellow fiesta - my first car- has been toned down. I've noticed it has no wing mirrors...

I may try and gain access to fit people. Parked up in this forgotten corner they may be train fans, they may be a courting couple....

Trying to get some debris in. I'm going to attempt to make some discarded beer cans. That may well be a discarded copy of ' Fiesta' by the car

post-450-0-47473200-1449222124_thumb.jpeg

The bridge isn't quite finished, and the steel trusses as supports aren't working as they don't block the fiddle yard view at all, so I'll go back to concrete I think. And of course the MOD depot needs the rest of its fencing....

• Like 10

Well grotty corner is coming on.

This is the angle you should see it from

post-450-0-78851000-1449508329_thumb.jpeg

And this a close up, lager cans added near the car in a suspicious wet stain. Seems to be fosters and Heineken .......

post-450-0-40307700-1449508416_thumb.jpeg

The canal at the front wasn't a well thought out scenic break . I've put a canal picture on the back scene, but it's a different colour water for starters. I may make it a canal basin and have a solid break like a building instead.

I can see why people use tunnels !

• Like 5

Not much progress this week.

I recovered 2 peco points off the old baseboard that was lying behind the shed in our garden . Decided as this is my last code 100 layout that I didn't want to spend money on new track, so I have dusted them off and was about to solder droppers to them when work called me out - I'm now stuck in a hotel abroad.

My aims are limited before Xmas as I have no days off now until the 25 th. I'd like to get the points and six fiddle yard tracks in place ( just ordered some flexi from hattons , couldn't avoid that ).

I've just emailed peco about the ratio security fencing asking what thickness the top wire is as I'm going to need some long bits the depot front fence and that supplied in the kit is a bit meagre.

Rolling stock wise - I think 47365 will become 47306 the Sapper . Speaking to fox they have added a Sapper nameplate with black backing as they think I may be right that blue or red isn't correct.

The 37116 project will become the 37178 project I think - I have some photos of this one at wymondham with an MOD working and I fancy a 3 TG version . I'm determined next year to only have one loco undergoing any work at once.

I also have a longer term project - I have a 47 chassis looking for a body, but RE the above I may well just sell it instead.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to get photos if there is any progress

• Like 1