Lifting eyes on Class 43 Warships

westerner

Having recently purchased the new Bachmann Cl. 43 I am about to start adding the detail bits and have studied many photos of Warships, on none can I discern any lifting eyes. Could someone tell me if they were always on the loco or just screwed in when the loco was about to be lifted?

Having recently purchased the new Bachmann Cl. 43 I am about to start adding the detail bits and have studied many photos of Warships, on none can I discern any lifting eyes. Could someone tell me if they were always on the loco or just screwed in when the loco was about to be lifted?

Try post 383 ,on the Bachmann class 43 thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Always fitted, used to lift the panels off the roof only, not anything more.  Of the relatively few clear photos all which show them indicate the eyes should be in line front to back and not transverse across the roof.

I've done three 43s now.  The technique which worked for me was to ease each eye off the sprue one at a time with fingers and have a tiny amount of suitable adhesive ready.  I used Revell Contacta.  Each eye is then carefully grasped in fine tweezers, the tip offered up to the glue - just enough to ensure it collects some - and then placed in its hole on the roof.

After two or three I found the process quite easy though it requires patience, a steady hand and decent dexterity.  You've got 24 eyes on the sprue and only need 20 so if a couple end up on the floor don't panic.

Archived