Vera the V1

david.hill64

The kit also includes some whitemetal crew (Sandy and Iain I think). I need to attach their arms and then get them painted up.

Maybe the grandsons of the famed Angus McPhwat who worked on the Craig and Mertonford many years ago?

I had hoped to be posting pictures of the completed model by now, but was required to work at the weekend. Then last night I discovered an issue that I was vaguely aware of but thought was under control.

The loco runs well when on the test leads but was very erratic when on the track. I guessed the issue immediately: the plunger pick-ups are not quite in the right place, being slightly too close to the wheel centres so the plungers are on the interface between the tyre and the plastic centres. The really annoying thing is that I had noticed right at the start of the build that the holes in the frames did not seem to be quite in the correct place. However, I thought that I would get away without moving the holes - wrong! They need to be moved by about 1mm.

It would have been so much easier to do this before assembling the frames, so to add to my list of suggestions for next time: check the position of the holes in the etch and adjust accordingly before building.

I am using Slater's plungers in this. They are well glued into the frames so I think the quickest solution will be to unsolder the leads and then use a slitting wheel to cut the plungers by the frames, remove the debris and then elongate the holes with files/burrs. It will be a pity to scrap a set of plungers but I think the time required to get them out without damage isn't worth the effort, and Vera is booked to take the Bangkok Soi Cowboy to Reading express this weekend. Fortunately I have a spare set of plungers in the bits box.

Well I got lucky with the pick-ups. I was able to remove them without damaging them: I guess that Epoxy doesn't key that well to the plastic. I then elongated the holes and refitted the plungers this time using the spacing washers as well. In my notes on how I will do this better net time, I will elongate the holes then solder the Slater's spacing washes in the correct place. This time I have relied on superglue and epoxy. She now runs nicely.

I finished the glazing, but think I will re-do the sliding window on the driver's side. I also need to use the inner hole on the front coupling rather than the outer as it's a bit floppy. Finally there will be the fireman's side lubricator drive to add. Full marks to DJH here: I sent them an email with a scanned copy of the damaged parts form and a photo of the sprue showing the malformed part and a replacement arrived in the post (in Derby) the next morning. Well done I say.

Here she is: looks like I didn't seat the cab roof properly before taking photos. Vera and I will be on the Gladiator stand at Reading this weekend, so if you are there please drop by and say hello!

post-13840-0-58116800-1449022092_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-07871500-1449022095_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-07115700-1449022098_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-80856100-1449022100_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-46883800-1449022103_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-96113200-1449022105_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-12013700-1449022108_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-92574000-1449022110_thumb.jpg

Sandy and Iain prepare for the long journey home, still shell-shocked from the experience of their unaccustomed lodging turn.

post-13840-0-37202700-1449022815_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-22254400-1449022818_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-04429800-1449022826_thumb.jpg

'Well' says Sandy, 'I've never seen anything like that before, not even in Leith!'

post-13840-0-70472700-1449022821_thumb.jpg

Iain grabs a handful of ashes to go with the sackcloth he'll be wearing when he gets back home. 'Honestly hinnie, I thought Suzy Wong's was a Chinese restaurant. When they said they had fresh clams, I thought they meant  the seafood.............'

Been an absolute pleasure to watch this one come together. Thank you for posting up all your trials and tribulations as the methods used to overcome the odd problem apply to just about any kit really.

All very much appreciated.

Jon F.

Been an absolute pleasure to watch this one come together. Thank you for posting up all your trials and tribulations as the methods used to overcome the odd problem apply to just about any kit really.

All very much appreciated.

Jon F.

Jon, thank you for the kind words. I have enjoyed building this kit. It has its niggles as do most kits but has been a lot of fun to put together. I hope that the story I tell is useful for those lucky to have one of these to build and, as you say, many of the issues are generic and can be applied to any kits.

Vera starts her journey to Reading tonight. From there she will be heading to her home on Haymarket depot, where I am sure David Allan will do his usual excellent job of making her look like she has been doing something useful! I'll post pictures of her in her workday attire.

When I get back from Reading I have a few weeks left here in Bangkok before moving back to UK to run the Gladiator business. Enough time to start the next project: another DJH kit, one of the last Piercy B1's produced by them. I am looking forward to it. I hope it takes less than the 2 years it took me for the first one I built!

David

I can only echo the comments from John F above. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable and informative thread to follow throughout. When I get around to doing my own I hope I can match the quality shown in this build

Dare I say I also have an original Piercy B1 kit in the cupboard not quite the same as the DJH version which has certain modification so I'm certainly looking forward to that build when you get around to it

Thanks again  David

Regards

Bob

Will there be a build for the B1?

Don't they offer the Piercy B1 any more?

I will describe the build.

Sadly the DJH B1 is no longer available. The one I will be building was I think the penultimate kit.

You'll just have to buy the Gladiator version  :jester:

Jon, thank you for the kind words. I have enjoyed building this kit. It has its niggles as do most kits but has been a lot of fun to put together. I hope that the story I tell is useful for those lucky to have one of these to build and, as you say, many of the issues are generic and can be applied to any kits.

Vera starts her journey to Reading tonight. From there she will be heading to her home on Haymarket depot, where I am sure David Allan will do his usual excellent job of making her look like she has been doing something useful! I'll post pictures of her in her workday attire.

When I get back from Reading I have a few weeks left here in Bangkok before moving back to UK to run the Gladiator business. Enough time to start the next project: another DJH kit, one of the last Piercy B1's produced by them. I am looking forward to it. I hope it takes less than the 2 years it took me for the first one I built!

David, I support the above above favourable comments. As the customer, I've enjoyed watching Vera's build and have, yet again,been very impressed by your skills and ingenuity. I'll do my best to weather her to do justice to the build and will certainly provide pics of her in her 1959 workaday state.

I wish you the very best with the Gladiator business and I know that you will be offering a building service as well. As the extremely satisfied owner of several of your works, I am very happy to commend your services to anyone out there who is looking for a quality model f on their kit.

Sadly the DJH B1 is no longer available. The one I will be building was I think the penultimate kit.

You'll just have to buy the Gladiator version

The Piercy one is out of my price range.

I have an idea of a Gladiator one, but my Corsa keeps having ideas too.......£880 last month for a new DPF, EGR, Cat, exhaust and intercooler. Another £885 this month for clutch and dmf...at 54,000 miles. Some day I will meet the guy who invented the dmf........

I think the dmf was invented because of the torque these diesel engines push out nowadays, but I am in the same boat as you as I have just had one fitted to our car at 56,000 miles, robbery.

Your wait till the "swirl flaps " need replacing at £600 plus £300 labour, I kid you not !!!

Martyn.

This will be my last Vauxhall, that's for sure...and probably my last diesel, the way they are going.

The technology obviously isn't keeping pace with what's required of it...or someone is being very stupid with the requirements.

The Piercy one is out of my price range.

I have an idea of a Gladiator one, but my Corsa keeps having ideas too.......£880 last month for a new DPF, EGR, Cat, exhaust and intercooler. Another £885 this month for clutch and dmf...at 54,000 miles. Some day I will meet the guy who invented the dmf........

Jeff,

Sorry it's a bit like shutting the door after the horse has gone, but I'm in the motor trade, in particular, vans and we convert them back to single mass. Recently a Vauxhall Combo 1.7 CDTi was £186 in parts and 4 hours labour. The benefit also being is that any future clutches are considerably cheaper. I can provide links, etc.

David,

Lovely build on Vera, and I for one am looking forward to the Gladiator range becoming available again.

Jinty ;)

Thanks to everyone who came and said 'hello' at Reading yesterday. Vera arrived unscathed (complete with cinder guards) and had her lubricator drive and plates fitted at the show. I look forward to seeing her in workday attire.

• 6 months later...

Archived