Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

Why do I look at the front of this loco and think Cyberman?  :)

Voted with my feet and ordered, due Friday can’t wait! Going to have a BR blue open day on the kitchen table Saturday morning. I’m guessing the 03’s will be next maybe January followed by the 50’s in say March / April then the re run 47’s later next year. I really hope they facelift the 40’s and do a split or centre headcode. Then the Peaks - I need more shelves!

• Like 1

Voted with my feet and ordered, due Friday can’t wait! Going to have a BR blue open day on the kitchen table Saturday morning. I’m guessing the 03’s will be next maybe January followed by the 50’s in say March / April then the re run 47’s later next year. I really hope they facelift the 40’s and do a split or centre headcode. Then the Peaks - I need more shelves!

37/4 is the next release but if you're into BR Blue then not much use.

• Like 1

I agree re 40's, I think a centre headcode would be really popular...

• Like 1

Well mine's just arrived and I think it's easily the best looking loco I've got so far - not that I've got many! and although I'm no expert and I'm sure someone will find a few faults it looks like a 25 to me and there's no way I could build anything - if it's available in the first place - to the same standard.

Mine appears to have had a rough shunt somewhere and one the grills had dropped off and the fuel tanks had also partially dropped off, both easily fixed with a spot of glue and it's probably just the usual problem with Heljan and poor glue. Slightly annoying but then again I would prefer too little glue than having too much and having globs of it everywhere.

I would say if you're thinking of getting one do it - I reckon they'll sell out quite quickly

Well mine's just arrived and I think it's easily the best looking loco I've got so far - not that I've got many! and although I'm no expert and I'm sure someone will find a few faults it looks like a 25 to me and there's no way I could build anything - if it's available in the first place - to the same standard.

Mine appears to have had a rough shunt somewhere and one the grills had dropped off and the fuel tanks had also partially dropped off, both easily fixed with a spot of glue and it's probably just the usual problem with Heljan and poor glue. Slightly annoying but then again I would prefer too little glue than having too much and having globs of it everywhere.

I would say if you're thinking of getting one do it - I reckon they'll sell out quite quickly

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, faults as these models have however small are insignificant when you think of the effort needed to kit build something to the same standard. I laugh at people who criticise them as I am positive they have never built a loco kit in their life and if they have I wonder to what standard. Edited by delticfan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is a very nice little model indeed.  As always with Heljan, the loco is weighty and the mechanism superb (something which doesn't get much of a mention on here).  I love the factory weathering - which is on the heavy side - and the whole thing just oozes class 25 atmosphere.  A great addition to the fleet.  

Here are a few pics of my efforts (which have consisted of installing DCC sound - I need to tone down the lighting).  

Now I have to tone down my unweathered BR blue example.  

PM

post-3981-0-72524600-1540642386.jpgpost-3981-0-45521500-1540642397.jpgpost-3981-0-89231400-1540642408.jpg

• Like 9

Mine has just arrived from Sheffield - a couple of greasy fingerprints to wipe off and a grille and window dropped off in transit, but easy enough to remedy. It really does have the 'wow' factor and has to be a contender for one of the best RTR O Gauge diesel releases yet?

One question - does anyone know what the 2 small plastic pieces at both ends of the board on which the loco is mounted are for? They are glued to the board and align with two vertical cylindrical 'bits' at both ends of the loco, but nothing links the two so they don't appear to be part of the 'mounting for transit' system? 

• RMweb Gold

Think that’s out of gauge now...

Funny you should mention out of gauge.  I have two of these, and both have at least one set of wheels hopelessly out of gauge.  Easily rectified, but very odd.  Has anyone else had this problem?

It certainly is a very nice little model indeed.  As always with Heljan, the loco is weighty and the mechanism superb (something which doesn't get much of a mention on here).  I love the factory weathering - which is on the heavy side - and the whole thing just oozes class 25 atmosphere.  A great addition to the fleet.  

Here are a few pics of my efforts (which have consisted of installing DCC sound - I need to tone down the lighting).  

PM

Which sound project have you gone for?..I always thought the South West Digital one was best in OO...

attachicon.gifIMG_0139.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0142.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0143.jpg

• RMweb Gold

PM

Which sound project have you gone for?..I always thought the South West Digital one was best in OO...

attachicon.gifIMG_0139.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0142.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0143.jpg

Confession time: I have got enough ) gauge class 25s to have sound projects from Legomanbiffo and Southwest Digital (on ESU) and Paul Chetter/Digitrains (on Zimo).  They are all good and there is a definite family resemblance (as you would expect).  I still like the drivability of Legomanbiffo's projects, so they pip the others for me.  But I would commend all three as providing a good representation of the prototype.  

• Like 1

Confession time: I have got enough ) gauge class 25s to have sound projects from Legomanbiffo and Southwest Digital (on ESU) and Paul Chetter/Digitrains (on Zimo).  They are all good and there is a definite family resemblance (as you would expect).  I still like the drivability of Legomanbiffo's projects, so they pip the others for me.  But I would commend all three as providing a good representation of the prototype.

I’ve only got Paul Chetter’s 08 sound project on Zimo which is certainly excellent!

Guess I’d better have a thorough listen on YouTube and decide!

I’ve only got Paul Chetter’s 08 sound project on Zimo which is certainly excellent!

Guess I’d better have a thorough listen on YouTube and decide!

The new Legomanbiffo Class 25 has DriveLock and Active Braking.  Functions below:

Function Key Layout for ESU/LOKSOUND V4 Sound Decoders.

F0 Lights

F1 Sound on / off

F2 Playable high horn

F3 Playable low horn

F4 Buffer clash (when moving slowly) / Coupling hook (when stationary)

F5 Brake application (when moving) / Brake dump (when stationary)

F6 Driver's door slam

F7 Compressor (single or double, see below)

F8 Drive Hold (DriveLock)

F9 Automatic variable speed flange squeal

F10 Despatch whistle

F11 Not Used

F12 Roof fan

F13 Sanders

F14 Vacuum exhauster

F15 Spirax Valves

F16 Selects ETHEL mode (When used as a  train heating loco)

F17 Not Used

F18 Detonators (A speed-dependant ‘three bang stop’)

F19 Aux 1 (for cab lights etc)

F20 Aux 2 (for cab lights etc)

F21 Not Used

F22 Battery isolator switch prior to start-up

Compressor

Factory default is for a single compressor (as in vacuum braked only locos, or dual-braked locos when in vacuum brake mode) (CV48 set to 0). To change to double compressor (dual-braked locos when in air mode), change CV48 to 1.

• Like 1

The new Legomanbiffo Class 25 has DriveLock and Active Braking.  Functions below:

Function Key Layout for ESU/LOKSOUND V4 Sound Decoders.

F0 Lights

F1 Sound on / off

F2 Playable high horn

F3 Playable low horn

F4 Buffer clash (when moving slowly) / Coupling hook (when stationary)

F5 Brake application (when moving) / Brake dump (when stationary)

F6 Driver's door slam

F7 Compressor (single or double, see below)

F8 Drive Hold (DriveLock)

F9 Automatic variable speed flange squeal

F10 Despatch whistle

F11 Not Used

F12 Roof fan

F13 Sanders

F14 Vacuum exhauster

F15 Spirax Valves

F16 Selects ETHEL mode (When used as a  train heating loco)

F17 Not Used

F18 Detonators (A speed-dependant ‘three bang stop’)

F19 Aux 1 (for cab lights etc)

F20 Aux 2 (for cab lights etc)

F21 Not Used

F22 Battery isolator switch prior to start-up

Compressor

Factory default is for a single compressor (as in vacuum braked only locos, or dual-braked locos when in vacuum brake mode) (CV48 set to 0). To change to double compressor (dual-braked locos when in air mode), change CV48 to 1.

There’s quite a price difference between the ESU XL and L for this Class 25 project. Is that due purely to the fact that you have to solder the wires to the L decoder, or does the L come with an inferior speaker than that with the XL?

F12 Roof fan, with all the racket a 25 makes I've never really noticed the fan in all the years I've been playing with the real thing.

I have one old sound chip that you can hear the driver walking into the engine room just before start up (local start up for those that know)

• 2 weeks later...