RMweb

Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
Just now, micknich2003 said:

Small world, I was signalman at Paragon 2002 to 2014, I well remember the 1983 resignalling, at that time I was signalman Gylberdyke.

3K PARAGON Panel 2003.jpg

I remember going to a project meeting in 1982 where Roger Pope; Project Engineer decided that point heaters were not needed because the air was salty from the sea. Not sure about that

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, coronach said:

I remember going to a project meeting in 1982 where Roger Pope; Project Engineer decided that point heaters were not needed because the air was salty from the sea. Not sure about that

I wonder if he knew anything about the mechanics and physics of the way points switches freeze?   I could tell him from experience, as could countless others, that you sometimes need a heck of a lot of salt just to stop pointwork re-freezing after it has been unfrozen.  On one less than comfortable night I used most of a 1 cwt bag of salt trying to stop a double slip re-freezing (but the temperature was well be low zero centigrade that night).

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, coronach said:

I remember Roger, nice bloke. He became my boss for a while in Intercity S&T HQ at York during the O4Q merry-go-round.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for the signalling diagram of Hessle and the photo’ of the interior of the box at Paragon. Please keep them coming.

This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Stanier 8F, 48443, as it crosses from the down main and is about to enter Inward Yard at Hessle Haven, in c1964.

c.1964 - Hessle Haven, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and many thanks, Mick, for the signal diagram of Hessle Haven. This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see, at Bridlington, B1, 4-6-0, 61255, as it shunts stock from the carriage sidings into the station at Bridlington, in c1964. The first carriage is a Thompson BSK in maroon livery, complete with the guards door open, as the fireman looks back from the B1.

c.1964 - Bridlington, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Goole allocated, WD, Austerity, 90044, as it approaches Brough from the west with a down freight for Hull, on the 29th June, 1963.

29/06/1963 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

Austerities everywhere!

And to think we used to say they were boring.

What I'd give to see and hear one struggling up the Gunhouse bank into Scunthorpe with either a J11 or an O4 banking.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/04/2023 at 13:19, iands said:

I remember Roger, nice bloke. He became my boss for a while in Intercity S&T HQ at York during the O4Q merry-go-round.

Yes he was my boss too - I worked at ICHQ first for Bill Boddy and then Roger Pope. Before that, I worked in the Signalling Project Office in Hudson House

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, coronach said:

Yes he was my boss too - I worked at ICHQ first for Bill Boddy and then Roger Pope. Before that, I worked in the Signalling Project Office in Hudson House

Ah, Bill Boddy. Another former boss of mine when I was at Doncaster. No doubt you you knew a fair few others from York?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iands said:

Ah, Bill Boddy. Another former boss of mine when I was at Doncaster. No doubt you you knew a fair few others from York?

Yes indeed, although I haven’t world there since ICHQ

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks once again, to John Turner, on Flickr, we see WD, Austerity, 90450, of 50B, at North Ferriby with an up freight, on the 26th October, 1963.

26/10/1963 - North Ferriby, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks once again, to John Turner, on Flickr, we see WD, Austerity, 90450, of 50B, at North Ferriby with an up freight, on the 26th October, 1963.

26/10/1963 - North Ferriby, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob, I think you posted same photo on 19th April. Still a good 'in though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks again to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Huddersfield, 55G, depot's BR Standard 5MT, 4-6-0, 73164, as it backs onto Bridlington shed for routine servicing after after working into the resort on an excursion train, 1Z08, on the 3rd June, 1963.

03/06/1963 - Bridlington, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, iands. You know, I thought it seemed familiar, but I couldn’t quite think what it was. So, all I can do is offer my sincere apologies, and here’s a photo’ which I know I haven’t posted before. 

So, here is tonight’s replacement photo’, with the same credit, and it is of a B1. Looking  forlorn and unwanted and less than a month after withdrawal, Thompson B1 4-6-0, 61065, languishes in store at Dairycoates, in circa October, 1964.

c.10/1964 - Dairycoates (50B) MPD, Hull, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

Is that a late-surviving GC van behind the B1?

Regards,

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Simon. It’s funny you ask about that van only the next photo’ is a close up of it. Perhaps I should have posted the photo’ yesterday. So here it is now, with the same credit. It is MP NE, Relief Breakdown Train Unit Packing Van, DE539329, at Dairycoates, circa October, 1964. According to the caption, it was built to the Great Central 19ft, Diag 43, design.

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Dairycoates breakdown train was a regular fixture of my childhood.

We lived adjacent to the High Level line, (close to Chanterlands Ave for any locals) given the amount of freight passing to the docks and industrial areas by the River Hull, its appearance a couple of times a week was quite regular.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks to John Turner and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we see a scene, at Brough, which, according to the caption, was possibly a Friday, judging by the number of British Aerospace workers milling on the far left platform, waiting for EE Type 3, D6782, to run round its train, then change platform before taking them home to Hull. Aerospace closed early on Fridays, hence the lunchtime crowds. The date is sometime in the Spring of 1964.

c.1964 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
On 27/04/2023 at 20:09, Market65 said:

Hi, Simon. It’s funny you ask about that van only the next photo’ is a close up of it. Perhaps I should have posted the photo’ yesterday. So here it is now, with the same credit. It is MP NE, Relief Breakdown Train Unit Packing Van, DE539329, at Dairycoates, circa October, 1964. According to the caption, it was built to the Great Central 19ft, Diag 43, design.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob

The fact that sliding doors on a GC van open to the left rather than the more common right always helps in spotting them.

Regards,

Simon

• Like 2