RMweb

Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for posting that excellent photo’ of H & B Rly, No22, at Hemsworth Sidings. 

With thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Thompson B1, 4-6-0, 61080, as it runs light towards the carriage sidings at Bridlington, in about August, 1963.

c.08/1963 - Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

22 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Not in 1963 .  ( bit surprised that they don’t have their nameplates on in 1963 ) 60145 would go on to become the last A1 in service . I do take your point of all the locos that past though Drapers it was a black five he saved .

You are correct, of course, I'd not read the date with the picture.

I saw, cabbed, and had a short ride on 60145 at York in, iirc, 1965.

Last A1 I ever saw.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, I want to update everyone about the removal of the footbridge at Beverley station. There is not much of it left now, as you can see from this photo’ I took on Thursday.

FullSizeRender.jpeg.2997006af6cf623c8d9a1f66f5f4dc52.jpeg

Now, this evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see WD, Austerity, 2-8-0, 90427, as it runs through North Ferriby station with a Hull-bound Class H freight, on the 26th October, 1963.

26/10/1963 - North Ferriby, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

On 07/07/2023 at 10:29, D.Platt said:

Not in 1963 .  ( bit surprised that they don’t have their nameplates on in 1963 ) 60145 would go on to become the last A1 in service . I do take your point of all the locos that past though Drapers it was a black five he saved .

If SAINT MUNGO had been around in 1968 then she might have stood a chance.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2023 at 09:05, JeffP said:

You are correct, of course, I'd not read the date with the picture.

I saw, cabbed, and had a short ride on 60145 at York in, iirc, 1965.

Last A1 I ever saw.

I read recently (can’t remember where sadly) that there was a BR edict that all nameplates should be removed for collection at a central depot and those on Evening Star disappeared. Might even have been here on RMWeb. Was that just for Western Region locos? If national policy might explain the missing plates.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Doncaster shed's B1 4-6-0, 61135, as it eases away from Brough station with a Hull bound ordinary passenger train in August, 1960. The first carriage is a BS of a twin art, non corridor, steel bodied set which means the second carriage is a CL.

c.08/1960 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

15 hours ago, john new said:

I read recently (can’t remember where sadly) that there was a BR edict that all nameplates should be removed for collection at a central depot and those on Evening Star disappeared. Might even have been here on RMWeb. Was that just for Western Region locos? If national policy might explain the missing plates.

Pretty sure it was national after they realised just how much the plates were worth.

I've seen the same post about the plates from Evening Star, and that they quietly reappeared.

A bit like one of the Falcons off 1200 at Ebbw Junction.

Looking through this thread, I am amazed at just how clean many of the locos were even just months before withdrawal. A credit to the area. (I grew up in Gloucester - Horton Road locos were in abominable condition in their last few years).

• Like 1

On 09/07/2023 at 19:04, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we have three photo’s, of Ellerby, on the former line from Hull to Hornsea, in August, 1964, and we see, in the first one,  three 2-car Cravens (later Class 105) DMUs accelerate away from Ellerby with a summer Saturday Hornsea Town to Hull service.

c.08/1964 - Ellerby, East Yorkshire.

Best regards, 

Rob.

The Cravens car nearest the photographer is from the batch 56125 - 56129. These entered service with the 2 digit headcode box (LMR style of headcode box) and a marker lamp on the roof dome. Where the outer marker lamps would have been, there were circular blanking plates. They came from the factory like this, but were in a batch of vehicles with the "4 lamp" cab fronts. I suspect that the cab fronts were made with holes for the four lamps, and that it was a late design change to fit headcode boxes.

These 5 driving trailers were matched with motor coaches 50370 - 50374 that also had the same cab front arrangement.

These five units were to a similar configuration to the Class 114 units, 2 digit headcode and marker lamp on the roof dome.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, many thanks, Mick, for the signalling diagram of Ellerby, and thank you, too, EddieK, for the information about the Cravens cab end details. 

This evening, courtesy of John Turner, on Flickr, another of Dairycoates' Gresley K3’s, 61985, pauses at Brough with a Doncaster to Hull stopping train, in about 1961.

c.1961 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

On 01/07/2023 at 21:03, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mick, for the excellent photo’ of H & B Rly, 2-4-0, number 40.

This evening we see three photo’s of Ottringham, in about August, 1964, on the branch to Withernesea, courtesy of John Turner, on Flickr. The first photo’ shows an unidentifiable 2-car Craven's (later TOPS Class 105) DMU, as it departs Ottringham with an afternoon Hull to Withernsea local service.

c.08/1964 - Ottringham, East Riding of Yorkshire.

The next photo’ is of the double track through Ottringham station as it gave way to single line operation (as far as Patrington) here at the station's eastern end, and the main arm on the bracket signal gives access to that bi-directional single line, whilst the smaller shunting arm signalled entry to the headshunt for access to the goods yard and coal yard.

The third photo’ is of the main station building, and station master's house. 

Best regards,

Rob.

Are the harvesters in an adjacent field? Whilst working on RMDRC’s Aylesbury Town, we turned up photos of harvesters arriving from Felixstowe on lowmacs, unloaded through the station end dock for delivery to the New Holland plant. These look like they’d be out of gauge.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Hornsea, 1898, the signalling was later simplified, but the layout remained much the same until the end.

HORNSEA 1898.jpg

Superb trackplan for a model.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Here is the later signalling, with the coming of DMU's the engine release was removed and likewise the turntable.

HORNSEA TOWN 1929.jpg

HORNSEA TOWN.jpg

Afternoon Mick 

Was the crossing always just for a headshunt or was there plans for the line to go further? 

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone.  Firstly, thank you, Mick, for more excellent and informative postings, especially the photo’ of the track being lifted and the level crossing removed at Hornsea Town, plus that photo’ of 45528, at Little Weighton, in early 1959, which is a remarkable sight.

This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Gresley D49/1, 62710 "Lincolnshire" on the turntable at Botanic Gardens, in about August, 1952.

c.08/1952 - Botanic Gardens (53B) MPD, Hull, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19