Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, I want to thank Mick Nicholson for a most enlightening and enjoyable slide show and talk about the level crossings in Hull. I look forward to more slide shows when they can be arranged. And that’s an excellent photo’ of St, George’s Road crossing.

Now, this evening, courtesy of knoxrj, on Flickr, we have a look at A3, 60086, Gainsborough, on a Liverpool to Hull train, at Ferriby, in 1958. 

60086 Gainsborough

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

firstly wound like to thank Mick Nicholson for the talk I really enjoyed it plus got to meet a few "old faces"(Steve j) 

interesting comment about walliker st /selby st possible level crossing??. always thought a proper road to a footbridge a bit strange ?(maybe one of the many what if plans)

secondly there's a picture in hull daily mail's images of hull (orange cover) page 28 of children on a live track snowballing as a train goes by with the gate wide open !!!!(health and safety)

I did manage to find the owner of said photo (on hull daily mail yahoo group  many years ago) and he told me it was of haltemprice st crossing   

plus there's a two part article in backtrack mag (first part march 2003 vol 17 no.3)  about hull's level crossings 

Edited by heavymetalwagons
forgot to mention
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2023 at 08:53, JeffP said:

There's a refinery at Saltend.

Or did you mean where did the tanks go?

Please excuse my  ignorance I didn’t know there was a refinery on the north side of the Humber .

I take it that trip 13 was from the refinery to the exchange sidings ? So yes where did the tankers go to , you don’t see many photos of tanker trains around the east coast main lines . 

The ones around the Leeds area , didn’t they all originate from Stanlow or was there some from Hull ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Please excuse my  ignorance I didn’t know there was a refinery on the north side of the Humber .

I take it that trip 13 was from the refinery to the exchange sidings ? So yes where did the tankers go to , you don’t see many photos of tanker trains around the east coast main lines . 

The ones around the Leeds area , didn’t they all originate from Stanlow or was there some from Hull ?

The tankers from Saltend, went to various places in the north, but the block workings were more often Cowlick, Deepcar, Dewsbury.

Al Taylor 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 45125 said:

The tankers from Saltend, went to various places in the north, but the block workings were more often Cowlick, Deepcar, Dewsbury.

Re the Dewsbury tankers. 

Was the depot actually in Dewsbury or was it at Liversedge on the LNW "New Line"?

I can certainly remember when this was open during the early eighties and occasionally saw trains as I was out cross country running.

Generally speaking I really enjoy this thread as it brings back memories.

I did teacher training at Hull University in 1978 so I am familiar with some of the Hull locations.

I did teaching practice at Bridlington and used to visit Beverley Minster for mid week choral evensong so I knew the coast line as well. 

Rather disconcertingly we visited Beverley Minster a few years ago to sing the week end services and I was looking forward to a pint in the Telegraph (the railway pub), for old time's sake, only to find that it had long gone!

Still, "Nellies" was still there!

Ian T

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Ian, when signalman at Cherry Tree, many an illicit pint was sunk on late turn in the Telegraph.

I can quite well believe that.

In later years, when I had obtained more common sense, I left teaching to become a signalman.

I was told this story about the local boxes, which I have posted elsewhere.

The Lynn road Saturday service was around one train every two hours.

The Downham Market signalman used to meet his colleagues from Stowbridge and Magdalen Road regularly.

They drove, or walked in the case of the local signalman, to the Jolly Farmers at Stowbridge for a pint., whilst on duty.

Those were the days, but before my time on the railway!

The pub went thirty years ago, although the building is still there. 

Stow box went around 1990 but I used to sign the two others before I retired.

Ian T

• Like 5

15 hours ago, 45125 said:

Al Taylor 

The Gas Works was at Saville Town so would be connected off the L and Y.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45125 said:

The Gas Works was at Saville Town so would be connected off the L and Y.

I agree with that but I thought that the tankers were carrying oil.

If that was the case Liversedge might be their destination.

It was reached by a BR chord installed between the L&Y Spen Valley line and the LNW New Line.

We are straying from the East Riding now so perhaps as a "Wessie" I should pipe down!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
additional info
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mick, for posting that excellent photo’ of Market Weighton, on the 31st December, 1957. It was taken just days after my parents wedding on the 24th December, 1957. The view you took from the box at Cherry Tree is great and has a Deltic too.

This evening, we have two photo’s courtesy of knoxrj, on Flickr.

The first photo’ is of B14, 2113, at Bridlington, in about 1925. It appears to be shunting the goods yard.

B14 2113

The second photo’ is of B12/3, 61577, going up Enthorpe bank, on the 14th May, 1959, on an excursion train. 

B12 61577

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks again to knoxrj, on Flickr, we have another three photo’s. This first one is of a J21, in the summer of 1931, leaving Beverley, on a Hull service, possibly ex- Bridlington. The exact location appears to be at England Springs, Flemingate box is faintly visible in the distance.

J21

The second photo’ is of another J21, this time at Cottingham, shunting the yard on the down side of the line, in 1932.

J21 981 (65049)

The last photo’ is of the now preserved B1, 61306, departing from Hull Paragon station in c1961, with the Hull portion of the Yorkshire Pullman.

B1 61306

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

49 minutes ago, JeffP said:

That's a very busy scene, with every platform filled, a Deltic and one of the Transpennine units.

and all loco-hauled stock (I think), with the exception of the Trans Pennine unit!

Was there an event on somewhere?

Edited by s182ggu

1 minute ago, birdseyecircus said:

3rd May 1980. Hull KR v Hull FC. Rugby league challenge Cup final at Wembley.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

City must have been empty!!

• Agree 1

A quote from David Scott on Facebook: (mods please remove if not allowed) 'There were 10 special in addition  as follows.  47420 on the 0624 to Marylebone, 47406 on the 0630 to  Kings Cross, 47457 on the 0634 to Paddington, 47223 on the 0705 to Wembley Central, 47524 on the 0710 to Paddington, 40118 on the 0716 to Wembley Central, 47402 on the 0730 to Kings Cross, 47217 on the 0737 to Wembley Central, 47213 on the 0755 to Wembley Central  and running about 30 mins late due to failure  of the booked loco  was 40 080 on the 0745 to Kings Cross.'

Paul 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, birdseyecircus said:

A quote from David Scott on Facebook: (mods please remove if not allowed) 'There were 10 special in addition  as follows.  47420 on the 0624 to Marylebone, 47406 on the 0630 to  Kings Cross, 47457 on the 0634 to Paddington, 47223 on the 0705 to Wembley Central, 47524 on the 0710 to Paddington, 40118 on the 0716 to Wembley Central, 47402 on the 0730 to Kings Cross, 47217 on the 0737 to Wembley Central, 47213 on the 0755 to Wembley Central  and running about 30 mins late due to failure  of the booked loco  was 40 080 on the 0745 to Kings Cross.'

Paul 

Again - thanks for this information, Paul.

I wonder if 'micknich2003' happened to be on duty that weekend? The ECS and loco moves to cope with those additional services must have taken some planning and execution. Presumably the stock used was from the ECML services that were spare at the weekend but I guess they would still need to be moved to Hull and then berthed in the short term prior to being moved into Paragon for the Saturday morning. And then it would all need repeating again in the evening after the return of all the services from London!

Looking at the picture again, It doesn't look as if there is any capacity at Paragon to cope with the regular more local services, even though it was a Saturday! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Ray M, for the photo’ from the big day of the 1980 Challenge Cup final at Hull Paragon. A big occasion, for the city of Hull, and so plenty of extra trains needed to get all the fans to and from London. For me the wrong team won! (I’m black and white).

This evening, we have four photo’s courtesy of knoxrj, on Flickr.

The first one is of the G5 0-4-4T, waiting to return to Hull, at Beverley, in c1950. It is the one with the extended side tanks. Note the footbridge on the other side of the station LC, which is long gone. 

G5 67???

The next photo’ is of D20, 62396, at Hull Paragon, on the 29th June, 1957. There is an LNER design of horsebox leading the formation, and on the adjacent line a Metropolitan Cammell class 101 unit can be seen. 

D20 62396

The next photo’ is of J72’s, 68753, 68747 plus others which are unidentifiable, at Alexandra Dock, Hull, c1955. A classic photo’, which I understand was taken on a Sunday.

J72 68753, 68747 plus others

Finally, we have a view of J21, 65035, at Little Weighton, on a freight train to Hull, in March, 1958.

J21 65035

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19