New Bachmann class 40 erratic running

hucknall byron

Can anyone help please. I have a new (1 year old) Bachmann class 40 D211 with sound. From being a really good runner straight out of the box it has started to run very erratically, sound breaking up , jerky running and even stopping. This has been a slow deteriation and the model has not had a lot of time on the rails. I don't want to return it as it is probably out of warrenty anyway. Did I read somewere that there was an initial problem with this model with an easy fix? If so I would be very greatfull for any help.

Can anyone help please. I have a new (1 year old) Bachmann class 40 D211 with sound. From being a really good runner straight out of the box it has started to run very erratically, sound breaking up , jerky running and even stopping. This has been a slow deteriation and the model has not had a lot of time on the rails. I don't want to return it as it is probably out of warrenty anyway. Did I read somewere that there was an initial problem with this model with an easy fix? If so I would be very greatfull for any help.

My first reaction is to suggest that the wheels, pick ups and rails need a thorough clean using IPA or another cleaning agent. Slow deterioration in performance is rarely the way a decoder would behave.

• RMweb Gold

I hope  cleaning does the trick but also check the spring contacts between loco and speaker. I don''t want to be a prophet of doom but I ended up putting a stay alive in mine as none of the above cured the problems I experienced..

Chris

See this thread 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51724-Bachmann-class-40-32-475dc-and-32-480ds

Problems with poor pick-up due to non conductive grease etc have been well documented in the above thread.  

IIRC all D211's were delayed in arriving due to Bachmann checking and cleaning every example before they were dispatched.

The only long time fix, it to fit extra pick-ups to bypass the problem, as your example now shows, just cleaning etc is not a long term solution.

See this thread 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51724-Bachmann-class-40-32-475dc-and-32-480ds

Problems with poor pick-up due to non conductive grease etc have been well documented in the above thread.  

IIRC all D211's were delayed in arriving due to Bachmann checking and cleaning every example before they were dispatched.

The only long time fix, it to fit extra pick-ups to bypass the problem, as your example now shows, just cleaning etc is not a long term solution.

We cleaned up the grease and relubricated with conductive grease, also put in a stay alive from ESU..      She now runs like a dream.    Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Well credit where it's due. Bachmann offered to sort it out even though I had no receipt (from santa). Just got it back and its fine. Well done Bachmann.

It's worth considering that "every" example of D211 was cleaned of the problem grease and tested by Bachmann BEFORE any were released for sale.  As you and others have found out, this works in the short term, but the problem appears to come back with use.  Question is: after being cleaned now for a second time, how long will it run properly before the problem comes back again ? 

I appreciate what you are saying tractor as some people were saying that the non conductive grease was only part of the problem and poor running may return. My point was that Bachmann have had a look at my model and you never know may have cured it longterm? I think that was commendable bearing in mind that I had owned the model for near on a year and had no proof of purchase. 

• Like 1

We cleaned up the grease and relubricated with conductive grease, also put in a stay alive from ESU..      She now runs like a dream.    Charlie

Aye the "stay alive" is probably masking any poor pick-up problems, how well does it run if you disconnect it.......................

Aye the "stay alive" is probably masking any poor pick-up problems, how well does it run if you disconnect it.......................

Not much point of disconnecting it if it working nicely.   Will leave it.  The Bachmann 40 has pickups only on 8 wheels, running would be helper with additional pickups on the centre wheel.

Charlie

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spoke too soon. Bachmanns D211 is back to running like a bag of nails. How easy is it to fit either more pick ups and/or a stay live? Cant be doing with it as it is

Worth having a look at this post

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51724-Bachmann-class-40-32-475dc-and-32-480ds/page-25

All of that thread is full of good gen

You should get this sort of running

Phil

• Like 1

When I bought D369 it ran superbly and Phil G remarked that I must have been very lucky!  Later I bought D211 to play sound on analogue and I was disappointed - the sound file would keep restarting.  Sadly as Phil has said the models need wipers touching the backs of the wheels rather than Bachmann's innovative live wheel bearings (did I hear someone say split axles?).

I pinched phosphor bronze pickups from my scrap box, some came from an old DoG tender whilst others came of an old Dapol Castle chassis. It was a straightforward solder job.

37252157034_f7d597beb7_c.jpg

24110662028_5da4d8c56b_c.jpg

Additional Pickups

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I bought D369 it ran superbly and Phil G remarked that I must have been very lucky!  Later I bought D211 to play sound on analogue and I was disappointed - the sound file would keep restarting.  Sadly as Phil has said the models need wipers touching the backs of the wheels rather than Bachmann's innovative live wheel bearings (did I hear someone say split axles?).

I pinched phosphor bronze pickups from my scrap box, some came from an old DoG tender whilst others came of an old Dapol Castle chassis. It was a straightforward solder job.

37252157034_f7d597beb7_c.jpg

24110662028_5da4d8c56b_c.jpg

Additional Pickups

Can't see if SilverLines has done it here but I've added pickups to the middle axle as well. Slaters do a packet of phospher pick up material for very little money, got mine from ebay.

Short answer Mike, no not the middle axle.

Can't see if SilverLines has done it here but I've added pickups to the middle axle.

That might make the soldering too complicated for the likes of myself.  Someone else will know but I am wondering if the latest cClass 40s from Bachmann only have pickups to the outer wheels?

Ray

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to reopen an old thread 

My D211 ran fine when I test ran it about three years ago now it is very glitchy I've cleaned the wheels and a bit better but nowhere near as good as the latest one

Is copper grease conductive and how easy is it to fit a stay alive? 

Also as anyone got a function key list for 211 please  as it seems different to the latest one 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, russ p said:

Sorry to reopen an old thread 

My D211 ran fine when I test ran it about three years ago now it is very glitchy I've cleaned the wheels and a bit better but nowhere near as good as the latest one

Is copper grease conductive and how easy is it to fit a stay alive? 

Also as anyone got a function key list for 211 please  as it seems different to the latest one 

Have you tried adding wiper pickups Russ? Latest one has them as new.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have you tried adding wiper pickups Russ? Latest one has them as new.

I haven't Phil,  I was wondering if stay alive was the easier option 

When I cleaned the wheels I noticed it doesn't pick up on centre driving wheels on each bogie 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

I haven't Phil,  I was wondering if stay alive was the easier option 

When I cleaned the wheels I noticed it doesn't pick up on centre driving wheels on each bogie 

Spot on …. That’s the problem. With a 3 axle bogie any uneven track means the centre axle plus only one other set of wheels will be in contact with the track. That axle needs pick ups.

Haven’t tried a stay alive though…..

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Spot on …. That’s the problem. With a 3 axle bogie any uneven track means the centre axle plus only one other set of wheels will be in contact with the track. That axle needs pick ups.

Haven’t tried a stay alive though…..

Cheers Phil,  since I sent my last post I've been texting a mate who is on here and he has converted one to P4 and has had to make new pickups and is actually quite easy so that is route I'm going to take 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, russ p said:

Cheers Phil,  since I sent my last post I've been texting a mate who is on here and he has converted one to P4 and has had to make new pickups and is actually quite easy so that is route I'm going to take 

That will fix it! 

• Thanks 1