New Bachmann class 40 erratic running

hucknall byron

• RMweb Gold

Having a bloody nightmare with this thing 

Added extra pickups using nickel silver wire but this made run fine but it made lateral the movement to stiff causing derailment so I looked at the later on and wipers are copper just on the outer two driving wheels

I made some up but I've ran it and derailed again and it seems a bogie may have warped probably with too much soldering 

I've checked Bachmann spares site and replacements are available but only the ones with cr@p pickups so I may have to buy this and be more careful adding pickups

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2022 at 20:18, russ p said:

Having a bloody nightmare with this thing 

Added extra pickups using nickel silver wire but this made run fine but it made lateral the movement to stiff causing derailment so I looked at the later on and wipers are copper just on the outer two driving wheels

I made some up but I've ran it and derailed again and it seems a bogie may have warped probably with too much soldering 

I've checked Bachmann spares site and replacements are available but only the ones with cr@p pickups so I may have to buy this and be more careful adding pickups

Sorry to hear that! Perhaps best to strip right down before soldering if not sure about soldering whilst still attached to bogie….

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Sorry to hear that! Perhaps best to strip right down before soldering if not sure about soldering whilst still attached to bogie….

I rang Bachmann ordered a bogie gear case and although not on their website the additional wiper pick ups are available for £1.50 each so I've ordered 4 

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, russ p said:

I rang Bachmann ordered a bogie gear case and although not on their website the additional wiper pick ups are available for £1.50 each so I've ordered 4 

That’s good news! Always found them helpful….

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

I fitted the new pickups today it now runs as well as my new one and doesn't derail

I should have asked them for a sound function list I haven’t a clue what the ones that don't make a noise do!

Edited by russ p
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/02/2022 at 17:43, russ p said:

I fitted the new pickups today it now runs as well as my new one and doesn't derail

I should have asked them for a sound function list I haven’t a clue what the ones that don't make a noise do!

Can I ask how straightforward the new pickups are to fit? 

I have a 32-475DC (40 141 BR Blue) which I've always known is going to need sorting. It ran OK when new, but was very erratic on subsequent use. I did clean the gears and pickups as best I could but its clear they need a thorough degreasing and the additional pickups seem essential to override the design weakness.

I haven't had one of the newer Bachmann 40s in bits so any advice on releasing the bogie mountings would be useful - I'm aware that the cardan shafts need to be releases and also reattached on reassembly but it would be useful to know how much the model needs dismantling and any tricks to either avoid removing the wrong screws or avoid missing an obscure screw that needs to be undone.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Can I ask how straightforward the new pickups are to fit? 

I have a 32-475DC (40 141 BR Blue) which I've always known is going to need sorting. It ran OK when new, but was very erratic on subsequent use. I did clean the gears and pickups as best I could but its clear they need a thorough degreasing and the additional pickups seem essential to override the design weakness.

I haven't had one of the newer Bachmann 40s in bits so any advice on releasing the bogie mountings would be useful - I'm aware that the cardan shafts need to be releases and also reattached on reassembly but it would be useful to know how much the model needs dismantling and any tricks to either avoid removing the wrong screws or avoid missing an obscure screw that needs to be undone.

Very easy Andy,  removed the bogie frame and there are 4 pick up straps to add and this is done with a dab of solder on each one

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1