Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

The current equivalent of Connie/Nellie/Polly/No27 type "freelance" industrial locomotives seems to be R3496 and its ilk, which are loosely based (I believe) on a small class of South Wales colliery locos.  They serve the purpose for which they were designed, small cheap rugged toy locos to play trains with, that don't completely lose touch with what a loco looks like.  As for the "memory of the Polly", R355 in its various forms lasted in the catalogue for 10 years, from 1961 to 1971.  It was the sort of thing produced over half a century ago, and I have fond memories of that little 0-4-0...

The Pecketts, like the Sentinels, are something completely different, far more sophisticated in terms of detail, livery and mechanicals, that don't look out place on a model railway.  It would be nice to see Hornby produce some Train Packs of both classes of loco, together with a trio of suitable wagons as a showcase of what they can do if they put their minds to it.

Don't give them ideas!!! they might take them seriously and go off the plot on delivery of the bread and butter product.

Now, I am 100% confident that Hornby can and will go off-plot on liveries for this loco, and don't mind in the least so long as they are sufficently well judged to earn profit. Pretty sure they will continue to produce more authentic liveries too.

• Like 2

Going off the plot was about ludicrous liveries, read the posting! There is a massive opportunity to do hundreds of legitimate liveries that modellers and the buying public can appreciate.

And before saying a hundred pound loco is expensive, a ten pound loco in the late 60's would costs £150 now.......on retail price inflation. And before you quote me I am not saying the Polly cost ten pounds!!!! this is just an example figure, and an average one, as some indices value £10 then as much as £300 now.

Prices are relative to wages, and any calculation shows the current offerings to be very good value in relation to disposable incomes.

Many of us remember that our parents were in no financial position to be able to afford even a complete train set, let alone consider regular purchases.

• Like 1

Also on memories of the Polly, it was just that, memories of a past product, that has been trounced by later offerings. Tri-ang could have done better at the time, they chose not to, that's all. I suspect that at that time they made a good profit margin on the loco as well as the shops 50% mark up, some thing modern dealers would dream about being able to do.

I think a lot of comments are taken far too literally, and without appreciation of irony, comedic effect or, entertainment value or judgement of the level of seriousness by posters .......and even this should be read with this in mind!!!!!

Anyway, back to the Peckett, it looks a fantastic candidate for body only etched  brass, resin, or 3D printed bodies and conversion kits for many other makers of Industrial locomotives. The scope is vast as long as exacting matches to prototypes are dismissed. It provides a good running chassis, and a nice saddle tank, the rest can be altered to suit, semi open cabs, open spectacle plates, taking it back to Victorian days, the list is huge. If you include changing the wheel diameter, the list in endless.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Now, I am 100% confident that Hornby can and will go off-plot on liveries for this loco, and don't mind in the least so long as they are sufficently well judged to earn profit. Pretty sure they will continue to produce more authentic liveries too.

I doubt they would need to in view of the very long list of proper liveries (and detail variations) which existed among the W4 Pecketts.

• Like 2

Don't think it's been mentioned before. Hornby have published the Peckett Data Sheet. Handy for those planning conversions and DDC chips.

HSS422 on this page:

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/34/

P

It looks as though the DCC decoder is going to be unique to this model. It is a pity they didn't go for the 6-pin N gauge decoder so that people could chose their own, or the Plux18 as per Bachmann/Farish.

Does anybody know the size of the X9659 decoder that Hornby suggest? 

Google is your friend. Apparently it's the decoder that was used for the Sentinel. It gets a good few mentions on RMweb & elsewhere.

The livery sample looks absolutely stunning. I am usually a sucker for blue liveries but am not such a fan of the company branding, so I will hopefully go for the Manchester Ship Canal variant.

What would the W4's haulage capacity be in terms of Mk1s? I'm guessing no more than 2, and even then that would be a stretch? More likely one Mk1 and a brake van? I would like to have a couple of industrials in the Moretonhampstead fleet, but think that the W4 may be too small for purpose for a 9 mile (Moretonhampstead-Heathfield), relatively steep railway.

What would the W4's haulage capacity be in terms of Mk1s? I'm guessing no more than 2, and even then that would be a stretch? More likely one Mk1 and a brake van? I would like to have a couple of industrials in the Moretonhampstead fleet, but think that the W4 may be too small for purpose for a 9 mile (Moretonhampstead-Heathfield), relatively steep railway.

That depends. You have small wheels and what looks to be decent gearing so you might be surprised at how much you can pull on straight and level track with a small engine. My Sentinel (Model Rail version) will pull 8, 50g wagons with ease and 10 at a pinch. Much will depend on how the weight is distributed and if the drawings in the repair sheet are any indication there's lots of weight.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Further to my previous posting. I gave my Sentinel a test drive with 5 Mk1s and it handled them with no trouble and just for fun tried the same load with a High Level Neilson 0-4-0T with the same positive results. The route was through a crossover and around a broad curve. There's a lot to be said in favour of little engines if the gearing is done right and it looks like Hornby have done it right.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

I have seen the Hornby Sentinel handling 10 Bachmann MBAs, a train of over 7ft length, with ease on a dead flat track, so would expect that like always haulage capacity is more dependant of the layout than the loco.

Good news! Better news (for those who ordered the MSC and/or Dodo version) the H&P are supposed to be the last ones to come out so things are moving ahead. Maybe Christmas will come early this year?

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

That depends. You have small wheels and what looks to be decent gearing so you might be surprised at how much you can pull on straight and level track with a small engine. My Sentinel (Model Rail version) will pull 8, 50g wagons with ease and 10 at a pinch. Much will depend on how the weight is distributed and if the drawings in the repair sheet are any indication there's lots of weight.

Cheers,

David

I presumed the question was about the prototype rather than the model.

NGB1 (W6 class) normally hauls two coaches on the C&WR, but I believe it has hauled three on occasions.

• Like 1

could this be a better chassis for putting under an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 ?  (in the past it was the l&y pug chassis).

On Hornby's current form, this will be the best small 0-4-0 steam mechanism available from an OO RTR range, and I should think it will only be the price that holds down the number of adaptions it is employed for. Nonetheless, I am sure there will be a 3D print operator or two with thoughts of what other bodies might fit, and ready to go once the product is available for measurement. The relatively small parts count for the alternative of a kit build equivalent mechanism, will probably make the cost much the same whichever method is chosen.

• RMweb Gold

On Hornby's current form, this will be the best small 0-4-0 steam mechanism available from an OO RTR range, and I should think it will only be the price that holds down the number of adaptions it is employed for. Nonetheless, I am sure there will be a 3D print operator or two with thoughts of what other bodies might fit, and ready to go once the product is available for measurement. The relatively small parts count for the alternative of a kit build equivalent mechanism, will probably make the cost much the same whichever method is chosen.

HI Joe,

Should that read 'I am sure there will be a 3D print operator or two with thoughts of what other bodies might can be made to fit'?

Despite me not having much to do with steam - I would like one!

Thanks

Hopefully this is a sign that that will also re-engineer the 0F (L&Y class 21) "Pug." I have had to do several major modifications to mine to get it to run smoothly (front axle compensation) and even then it gets a bit temperamental depending what sort of controller I use.