Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

.... and what the folks at Bachmann are thinking?

Bachmann have their own "industrial" locomotive in the works - albeit a 009 model with the Baldwin Class 10-12-D.

So of course does DJM with the Hudswell-Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST.

The day of the high-fidelity industrial model is dawning. It will be interesting to see how customers react. I think Hornby have chosen very well with the Peckett. (I still wish it was the E class, but that's not going to stop me from buying one, and maybe more.)

• Like 3

I have been puzzled for a long time as to why manufacturers never took the industrial steam market seriously. There ought to be huge interest in this model.

Hopefully it will encourage manufacturers to try a few others, like Manning Wardles and Barclays for example.

Me, too.

The great thing about the Hudswell Clarke is that it is an example of the innumerable six-coupled tanks with the distinctive saddle tank shape favoured by many manufacturers of industrial locos including Hunslet and Manning Wardle. 

Together with the Peckett, we would have one each of two of the most characteristic basic types of small industrials. 

I'd love a Manning Wardle.  Any Manning Wardle, but the K Class was probably one of the most numerous.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only thing that will likely affect sales will be liveries. I know that none of the initial batch interest me specifically, so unless I feel I can take off all the detail to do a decent repaint then I'm likely to hang on for one I actually want (specifically 'George Jennings' for the Parkstone pottery line).

• Like 1

Lest we forget as well, the DJM 'Austerity' is also on its way out. A fair few of those reached industry :)

Trouble is I'm all Austeritied out with Airfix, Dapol, Hornby, and Centre Models versions, the Pecketts are a very welcome change.

The only thing that will likely affect sales will be liveries. I know that none of the initial batch interest me specifically, so .........

That is one of the clever things about Hornby's choice (and applies to DJM's Hudswell Clarke and austerity as well) they can do initial runs that they think will sell and then every two years or so run a pair of new liveries.  The changes will mean that collectors will buy each one and the lack of repeats will mean that serious modellers might pick up odd ones as they know they won't be repeated (the Huntley & Palmer one is so pretty that I am sure many people will buy one to run under "Rule 1").

I cannot see me getting one - but if a CEGB one ever gets released who knows ?

(Was there a standardised livery for CEGB locos ?   And, if so, what was it, especially for "Croydon B" Power Station and Gas Works ? )

• Like 1

The only thing that will likely affect sales will be liveries. I know that none of the initial batch interest me specifically, so unless I feel I can take off all the detail to do a decent repaint then I'm likely to hang on for one I actually want (specifically 'George Jennings' for the Parkstone pottery line).

I think the H&P will be so splendid that many will be unable to resist (I am not sure I will), and dark green is a fairly generic livery that is believable in most settings.

The star for me is Dodo, whose leaf green livery Hornby believes to be the Peckett works, or default, livery, so Dodo is just one new nameplate away from being the property of any freelance industrial concern you care to provide with a railway.  Smashing idea.

I believe the Manning Wardle works livery was a rather attractive and distinctive blue (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).  That would be even better!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just done a quick Google search and I've just seen what appears to be an original colour photo on a blog by Tim Hale (ex of this parish):

http://georgejennings.blogspot.co.uk/

The colour picture is about a third of the way down the page. It doesn't appear to be a light green, so is probably a dedicated livery? There doesn't appear to be any lining either.

In terms of general arrangement, I think GJ is closest to the H&P livery version that Hornby have a picture of on their website. If I get one of those I might be able to do a full repaint at a later date. If Hornby beat me to it with a GJ of their own, then I just have an extra W4 for general duties :)

Edited by Ian J.

Given in and pre-ordered a 'Dodo' from 'Rails', who seem to be cheapest at present at £68.50.  At least I've a while to think of a new name, and order the plates!

That is one of the clever things about Hornby's choice (and applies to DJM's Hudswell Clarke and austerity as well) they can do initial runs that they think will sell and then every two years or so run a pair of new liveries.  The changes will mean that collectors will buy each one and the lack of repeats will mean that serious modellers might pick up odd ones as they know they won't be repeated (the Huntley & Palmer one is so pretty that I am sure many people will buy one to run under "Rule 1").

I cannot see me getting one - but if a CEGB one ever gets released who knows ?

(Was there a standardised livery for CEGB locos ?   And, if so, what was it, especially for "Croydon B" Power Station and Gas Works ? )

I don't know about a standardised livery but you might find these photos of a couple of the Pecketts at Croydon B Power Station useful. As far as the gas Works is concerned, their saddle tanks weren't Pecketts. Moss Bay was a Kerr Stuart while Elizabeth was a Bagnall. Photos of both attached as well.

Peter

post-7254-0-33531500-1463245791_thumb.jpg

post-7254-0-60086100-1463245804_thumb.jpg

post-7254-0-88592300-1463245822_thumb.jpg

post-7254-0-55157100-1463245833_thumb.jpg

post-7254-0-23009900-1463245850_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I don't know about a standardised livery but you might find these photos of a couple of the Pecketts at Croydon B Power Station useful. As far as the gas Works is concerned, their saddle tanks weren't Pecketts. Moss Bay was a Kerr Stuart while Elizabeth was a Bagnall. Photos of both attached as well.

Peter

Thanks very much  -  excellent.

Oh ! That the power station had to go just so Ikea could hang their signs on the chimneys !  (Well, not really.)

It reminded me that a little landmark was passed last Monday/Tuesday  -  the first time since 1882 that NO electricity was generated by coal ;

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/13/uk-energy-from-coal-hits-zero-for-first-time-in-over-100-years

• RMweb Gold

Yep, why risk an unknown market when you have an existing cash cow? What's more remarkable is they are trying it now or is it a sign of desperation?

Lgb buried their heads in the sand after the initial buy out and just re-liveried stuff but soon realised the previous lot had actually got it right and they needed new models. It was only poor timing that crippled LGB as they introduced a rash of new stuff just as the recession hit and the banks stopped looking long term.

Edited by PaulRhB

Yep, why risk an unknown market when you have an existing cash cow? What's more remarkable is they are trying it now or is it a sign of desperation?...

To me, it looks as though they've mined pretty much all the major / popular classes that there are to mine. So what other things might be usefully rendered as models?

Edited by Horsetan

IMHO the subject of replacement wheel sets for those locomotives that have nothing available is something of a vexed one.

I had a brief conversation at the AGW stand on Sunday re the possibility of further RTR wheel sets but it would appear that attention is being paid elsewhere on more pressing managerial and marketing issues.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

To me, it looks as though they've mined pretty much all the major / popular classes that there are to mine. So what other things might be usefully rendered as models?

Hence my comment about it being remarkable OR is it a sign of desperation ;)

I meant remarkable because of them not burying their heads in the sand.

Surely there is still some obscure 1950s diesel that they only ever made 3 of and that was crap and only ran for 3 days before withdrawal that has yet to be made available RTR and for which the World is crying out? 

• RMweb Gold

Surely there is still some obscure 1950s diesel that they only ever made 3 of and that was crap and only ran for 3 days before withdrawal that has yet to be made available RTR and for which the World is crying out? 

Unfortunately there is - but fortunately there was only one Fell

One thing, which I have so far fruitlessly championed in poll lists, etc. is the 37 or 79 Class, London, Tilbury and Southend Railway locomotives.  Beautiful in the original LTSR colours, they were little altered after grouping, apart from extended smokeboxes, and ran through to late BR steam days, their range being extended by then much further than the original routes.  Yet another Adams tank I know but less limited in area than the Radial.

Plus No. 80 Thundersley is available for scanning!

post-312-0-99387200-1463406002_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I had a brief conversation at the AGW stand on Sunday re the possibility of further RTR wheel sets but it would appear that attention is being paid elsewhere on more pressing managerial and marketing issues.

Regards

To quote myself, I thought that's what I more or less said in my next sentence.

For 4mm scale the two major wheel manufacturers/suppliers understandably, appear not to have the time to expend on new developments without neglecting the day to day profit making aspects of the business.

I speak with Colin (or one of his "show assistants") about wheels reasonably regularly, and probably appreciate the difficulties of developing a new wheel more than most. It's hard to get across to some, that in most instances it's hardly viable to spend time (to the detriment of the core business and regular trade and customer base), evolving a new product when that new product may have very limited sales potential.

To take the new Pecket loco as an example.

Most that buy it will probably be leaving the loco as 00 gauge.

Those that model in EM will probably get away with re-gauging the wheels as the RTR manufacturers now produce wheels with a far finer flange reducing the potential number of EM modelers that would prefer complete replacement (for better fidelity?)

The P4 and etched chassis market (should a chassis become available?).  This area seems to be where most potential sales could arise. Would sales be sufficient to recover all development costs, cover lost sales in other areas due to lack of production, lost customer goodwill etc., etc. and still make enough to feed the kids and pay the rent?

That's why I don't find it surprising that 4mm wheel manufactures will not risk new developments and bought a lathe.

Maybe this is where the S4 and EM gauge societies could play a part. Perhaps they could gauge (pun fully intentional) members feelings toward producing specific wheels and if sufficient interest was shown subscribers could pay for wheels up front, therefore pre-paying for development work and minimising risk to the small trader.

I say the above being fully aware of the lack of progress with the Britannia/Ultrascale wheels using a similar idea.

From the past.  (Repeating mesen & further reading). http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94832-exactoscale-wheels/?view=findpost&p=1886930

P

Edited to insert missing words.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

a new County, Saint, LTS Tank, Fowler 3MT 2-6-2T, Stanier 2MT 2-6-2T, N7, 77xxx, 84xxx, WD 2-10-0

then industrials..

Hudswell Clarke Sweden tank (MSC), Avonside 0-6-0ST, Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 are amongst the more popular or more commonly preserved.

Modern..

class 02, 06, 81, 82, 83,84..

EMUS..

where do you start... (But personally I'd be looking at a 304/5/8 and a 303.)

DMUs

Class 104, 107, 120, 124

Coaches...

Buffet cars !!!, MK1 Carflat, consider some L&Y, GNR, GE coaches to match some of the more recent loco offerings.. they ran until BR days too !

I'm sure theres lots of wish list threads out there !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

....Maybe this is where the S4 and EM gauge societies could play a part. Perhaps they could gauge (pun fully intentional) members feelings toward producing specific wheels...

That would be pretty much everything that used to be on the Sharman Wheels *rolls eyes* list, then.