Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

I think a number of people need another ce cup of tea and a lie down!

Here's an unusual question from me. What is the correct width over the cylinders? Many moons ago I struggled with what I was building a Comet V2 and asked this exact question to which a member piped up and told me they are up to 8' 6". The cylinders had been moved in board for OO. Has the same occurred here? I am not suggesting that they should be 8'6" but they may have been brought in for other various reasons.

Asked Hattons re the loco, and were told there may be an anoucement 4thJan from Hornby.

As a Aussie it looks i have missed out, and cannot afford to ring every shop in the UK.  Seems it has been a popular model, and what a shock to everyone. Hope others can attest to future production......

I want  at least 1, any colour ;)

Regards,

David Head

Asked Hattons re the loco, and were told there may be an anoucement 4thJan from Hornby.

As a Aussie it looks i have missed out, and cannot afford to ring every shop in the UK.  Seems it has been a popular model, and what a shock to everyone. Hope others can attest to future production......

I want  at least 1, any colour ;)

Regards,

David Head

Hereford  Model Centre still have MSC and H&P

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=340_350_354_351&sort=20a&page=3

Now the No11 is running around the test track complete with a five pole motor and flywheel, the motor is the Chinese no name skew slot 5 pole from ebay, with double shafts and drops into the existing space, with worm transferred, although I had an identical pitch worm fitted already. The flywheel was turned up in the lathe, drilled out with three holes to lighten the centre, and fitted on the shaft with a dab of loctite.

Runs exactly the same on straight level track, haulage the same, but is quieter and smoother over points etc, and can run over old Farish dead frog points. It starts a bit smoother and runs down in speed a bit better than the other one I have.

Done mainly in case motors fail, it shows you can replace the motor for £1.00 !!! but I expect the Hornby is as robust.

Interesting about an announcement from Hornby coming on the 4th relevant to the Peckett, I heard about this and it may be addressing the issues around supplies shortages, thankfully due to it's success. I for one, will be buying more, and would been in the next few days if they had them for sale, but it looks like another waiting game so far.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

Now the No11 is running around the test track complete with a five pole motor and flywheel, the motor is the Chinese no name skew slot 5 pole from ebay, with double shafts and drops into the existing space, with worm transferred, although I had an identical pitch worm fitted already. The flywheel was turned up in the lathe, drilled out with three holes to lighten the centre, and fitted on the shaft with a dab of loctite.

Runs exactly the same on straight level track, haulage the same, but is quieter and smoother over points etc, and can run over old Farish dead frog points. It starts a bit smoother and runs down in speed a bit better than the other one I have.

Done mainly in case motors fail, it shows you can replace the motor for £1.00 !!! but I expect the Hornby is as robust.

Interesting about an announcement from Hornby coming on the 4th relevant to the Peckett, I heard about this and it may be addressing the issues around supplies shortages, thankfully due to it's success. I for one, will be buying more, and would been in the next few days if they had them for sale, but it looks like another waiting game so far.

Stephen

Do you have a link to the motor? (or an example of anyway, ebay has lots of the same thing from lots of sellers of these far eastern bulk sells)

Hopefully the announcement will be another container load of locos arriving. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The construction of the lathe is very like the Peatol, but without a steel bed surface, and it has decent bearings etc., what it lacks can be added unlike the Unimat 1, which was barely more that a toy compared to this product.

There is a more expensive version with a Milling/ Drilling head, which again looks like the Unimat, but is not related in design. They sell, for about £150, but I have not tried the version myself, whereas I have the basic lathe for experiment, and it all works.

Stephen.

Thinking about getting one of these instead of throwing money at my recently failed sieg CO baby lathe I have found that in looking around on ebay that you must be very careful as you suggest.

While appearing to be the same it seems that there are in fact several versions/clones of this similar looking design, with differing qualities of construction and overall specification, yet little to help you sort one from another. The differing handwheels are a clue, some very toy-like with no graduations. I presume these machines may be of all plastic construction but not really sure. The more expensive multi-purpose ones seem to fall into this category as do those from EU based suppliers as far as I can tell, the Red/Black coloured versions, while the metal based ones are, well, metal colour. Is this correct?

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

I actually hope they resist the temptation to duplicate the current production, but instead announce another 3 examples / liveries. (Red/Maroon would be nice)

We've been down this road before, where the first batch sells out, so it's duplicated either a second run, or a renumber.. the second batch swamps the market, sticks forever and ends in the bargain bin: K1, J15, J50, B17, R3115 Exeter comes to mind.

Another 3 new livery examples still provides a Peckett to the Peckettless but also has potential for some further sales to those from the first round, and so maybe a few first batch will creep back into the market, but overall "value" of the model is retained.

It could also be beneficial for the whole Hornby brand, as at least to me it looks like anything they make will be "Asda'd" at some point... A few sell outs would help restore that image that "if I don't buy i'll miss out", rather than "if I don't buy it'll be cheaper later".

Imho, The "value" of a Peckett isn't H&P, Dodo or MSc, but that it's a small well made rtr colourful industrial which modellers have been starving for..

Look at Dodo's namesake...Farm the success, don't Hunt it to death on the first go.

Edited by adb968008

did a online order, so fingers crossed......  again Nerron, thanks.

May I ask how much you paid? I got as far as the pay point and VAT had not been deducted and the postage was for the UK.This is quite different from Hatton's process.As I was unsure if this was  the final cost I did not proceed.

I actually hope they resist the temptation to duplicate the current production, but instead announce another 3 examples / liveries.

We've been down this road before, where the first batch sells out, so it's duplicated either a second run, or a renumber.. the second batch swamps the market, sticks forever and ends in the bargain bin: K1, J15, J50, B17, R3115 Exeter comes to mind.

Another 3 new livery examples still provides a Peckett to the Peckettless but also has potential for some further sales to those from the first round, and so maybe a few first batch will creep back into the market, but overall value of the model is retained.

It could also be beneficial for the whole Hornby brand, as at least to me it looks like anything they make will be "Asda'd" at some point... A few sell outs would help restore that image that "if I don't buy i'll miss out", rather than "if I don't buy it'll be cheaper later".

Look at Dodo's namesake...Farm the success, don't Hunt it.

I'm afraid this is exactly the situation which has prompted Hornby to over-produce in the past. It will be interesting to see if they resist the temptation this time around, with new people and new policies in place. Better to actually have some frustrated punters now, and make them wait for the 2017/18 production run than to rush out more of the same - even with different identities - than to have the 2-BIL/2-HAL situation where there were not only new identities for the BIL but a new very similar tooling. Forget the 'design clever' issues - over-production of similar 2-car EMUs is the fundamental problem here. With the DJM 'Austerity' and the Hornby Peckett both well received, it could be that there's a massive market for industrials. Or it could be that these two models will have satisfied that market. Cue caution. (CJL)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid this is exactly the situation which has prompted Hornby to over-produce in the past. It will be interesting to see if they resist the temptation this time around, with new people and new policies in place. Better to actually have some frustrated punters now, and make them wait for the 2017/18 production run than to rush out more of the same - even with different identities - than to have the 2-BIL/2-HAL situation where there were not only new identities for the BIL but a new very similar tooling. Forget the 'design clever' issues - over-production of similar 2-car EMUs is the fundamental problem here. With the DJM 'Austerity' and the Hornby Peckett both well received, it could be that there's a massive market for industrials. Or it could be that these two models will have satisfied that market. Cue caution. (CJL)

I quite agree however one thing about the Peckett is the considerable authentic variety available at a reasonable price.  Thus the Year 2 models could be different enough to tap a further area of the market but it would have to be done with great care and definitely not like the ludicrous situation with the 2 BILs, Hawksworth coaches or even the 'Kings' and certain LNER locos.    

Thinking about getting one of these instead of throwing money at my recently failed sieg CO baby lathe I have found that in looking around on ebay that you must be very careful as you suggest.

While appearing to be the same it seems that there are in fact several versions/clones of this similar looking design, with differing qualities of construction and overall specification, yet little to help you sort one from another. The differing handwheels are a clue, some very toy-like with no graduations. I presume these machines may be of all plastic construction but not really sure. The more expensive multi-purpose ones seem to fall into this category as do those from EU based suppliers as far as I can tell, the Red/Black coloured versions, while the metal based ones are, well, metal colour. Is this correct?

Izzy

There are several versions the one I have is the black/red one with the longer leadscrew extension on the front. The main material is aluminium extrusion, removing the need to machine it, other parts are plastic, but seem robust enough for light lathe work,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorized-Metalworking-DIY-Tool-Universal-Soft-Metal-Wood-Mini-Lathe-Machine-/221822413096?hash=item33a5a56928:g:scQAAOSwPcVVn3uI

Edited by bertiedog

I quite agree however one thing about the Peckett is the considerable authentic variety available at a reasonable price.  Thus the Year 2 models could be different enough to tap a further area of the market but it would have to be done with great care and definitely not like the ludicrous situation with the 2 BILs, Hawksworth coaches or even the 'Kings' and certain LNER locos.    

The Year Two models should definitely be very different from the first batch - completely new liveries plus any appropriate detail variations. However, it is much easier and cheaper to simply repeat a livery with a change of number/name and that is the trap Hornby has fallen into time and time again, particularly (but not solely) with Rail blue era models. Odd, considering their view that 'blue locos sell, that there's no blue 'MN' in the first batch. Perhaps there's a strong clue here that a follow-up batch is on the cards. (CJL)

For goodness sake, we now have people who are calling for a shortage! Every sale helps Hornby and it is obviously a success, and there are people like me who want to buy more of the same, especially the Dodo version. I am sure that Hornby have sufficient expertise not to wildly over order! As so often said, it needs steady production, in either the FE or GB, but not the Glut and Famine method of sales.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

For goodness sake, we now have people who are calling for a shortage! Every sale helps Hornby and it is obviously a success, and there are people like me who want to buy more of the same, especially the Dodo version. I am sure that Hornby have sufficient expertise not to wildly over order! As so often said, it needs steady production, in either the FE or GB, but not the Glut and Famine method of sales.

Stephen

The problem identified by CJL is that in the not too distant past Hornby have very clearly demonstrated that they had considerable expertise in over-ordering - leaving them with unsold stocks they had to clear out at considerably reduced prices.  Undeniably part of this stemmed from the way they had grossly mismanaged their relationship with the retail trade (in a number of different ways) but equally clearly part of it was trying to sell into either sated or saturated markets where they had misjudged demand, particularly - but not wholly - for Year 2 and Year 3 runs.

If Hornby are to get themselves onto an even financial keel they must avoid that pitfall.  Fortunately the Peckett does allow far more variation than simple re-livery and it is to be hoped that if they go for a Year 2 run they will exploit that rather than just putting on different colour schemes.

Lets see if there are any silly bu**ers out there who will pay £139.00. I think we all realise that the next batches will not be at the £70.00 to £85.00 but £139.00!

Opportunist "businessmen" that deserve to flounder.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

... I am sure that Hornby have sufficient expertise not to wildly over order! ...

Wait a minute! Wasn't it you who, ten minutes ago (when it looked like Pecketts might not be here before Christmas), was bitterly complaining that Hornby was the most incompetent company in the world?!?!

Paul

Wait a minute! Wasn't it you who, ten minutes ago (when it looked like Pecketts might not be here before Christmas), was bitterly complaining that Hornby was the most incompetent company in the world?!?!

Paul

No, that is taking comment out of the context, and I did not say what you quote, please read the comments more carefully.

Edited by bertiedog

• RMweb Gold

There are still plenty of Pecketts out there. Ring smaller shops. I know AC models haven't had there's yet and when I asked they still had unsold versions of all three. My local also had a couple left but they may have gone now as they were looking so good in the window. Ring round the smaller shops in the adverts in RM etc and I'll bet you can find them without paying daft prices ;)

Why does every thread with Hornby in the title have everybody turning into an economist? Can we please keep this about models, and not business? There are already hundreds of incredibly dull posts from these armchair Alan Sugars in the relevant threads if anybody cares enough to want to read them. 

Now lets get back to the important stuff, playing with trains and/or hacking them to bits. 

• RMweb Gold

Stephen

No Stephen sadly they have demonstrated quite the opposite recently and all too frequently.Dibber25 has highlighted the issues clearly and concisely for you and I think all of us should take due note of that.
  • Like 1