Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

I seriously hope they don't do fictitious liveries.

You wait a lifetime for a manufacturer to make a decent model of an industrial tank locomotive and then people want to turn them into toytown trains. It's just as bad when the "heritage" railways paint them as Big Four and Thomas The Tank Engine. These are real engines with a history just as interesting as any A3 or Castle.

It's up to individuals what they do with their model, but I would be extremely disappointed if Hornby go down that route.

Yes real liveries will sell to modellers but I'm equally sure Hornby could get more out of retailer exclusives like the Xmas sets. I'm not suggesting they don't do real ones, there's plenty to choose from BUT there's no harm in tasteful freelance models too when the fancier lined liveries work so well. I have no use for the H&P version for any project but bought it solely because it looked so nice ;)
  • Like 2

Yes real liveries will sell to modellers but I'm equally sure Hornby could get more out of retailer exclusives like the Xmas sets. I'm not suggesting they don't do real ones, there's plenty to choose from BUT there's no harm in tasteful freelance models too when the fancier lined liveries work so well. I have no use for the H&P version for any project but bought it solely because it looked so nice ;)

To some of us that's just like painting a Hall red and calling it Lord Westwood or Hogwarts Castle. I thought we were trying to get away from that sort of nonsense and leaving that for the GWR Holden and Smokey Joe.

There was 140 Peckett W4s in various liveries. Why do we need freelance ones?

Jason

• Like 1

There were 140 Peckett W4s in various liveries. Why do we need freelance ones?

A fair point well pointed out SS. I can think of no valid reason why all forthcoming liveries shouldn't be historically accurate. Indeed, it would preserve a special air of realism and authenticity that a fictitious livery would throw away.

I did suggest to the Hornby people at Warley that since DODO had sold so well they might look at another one in Peckett stock livery, either an unnamed one or another short name that would cover over with a longer plate.

The answer was they would see what other locos of the class were available, but no commitment as to which - in other words the answer I had expected....

les

Modellers tend to model one of the real mainline railways, GNR, LMS,BR or whatever and so authentic main line liveries are demanded for main line stock.

Most models of industrial railways tend to be freelance so some Hornby Pecketts in non specific blacks, maroons and greens, either lined or plain would be very suitable for use in freelance industrial settings. I suspect that few of those already sold will actually see service on models of biscuit factories or the Ship Canal Railway.

I don't see models in the HP livery working a fictional dockyard any more authentic than one in a freelance livery working the same model. In fact, I'd prefer the latter.

• Like 6

That's why I hope they choose more anonymous liveries in future. Huntley and Palmers is about as big as they come, but there must be hundreds of practically anonymous acronyms to choose from, and with authentically elaborate livery options.

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 1

If anyone wants to model MSC number 11 in its earlier days just get Dodo and rename it Alexandria, which is what Peckett w/n 654 was originally named (no number) when it was delivered to the MSC. It originally had the same kind of dome as Dodo and probably wore the same livery when new. The MSC also had another W4 named Valencia (later numbered 25) that had the original style of dome and livery but the rear part of the cab was slighty different.

There was also MSC 12, which looked the same as 11.

11 Was sold to Esso Petroleum in 1954.

Its worth remembering that these locos generally lasted longer than the factory paintwork. In the case of the Culter Paper Mill Peckett, [the later one at any rate] it was no doubt bought off the shelf in factory-applied leaf green and retired in green, but by then it was a darker green scrounged from the gods know where. I've also seen photies of the Pecketts used by British Aluminium at Burntisland wearing a rather bright dark green which might have come out of the back door of a British Railways workshop but certainly didn't come from Bristol.

• Like 1

Modellers tend to model one of the real mainline railways, GNR, LMS,BR or whatever and so authentic main line liveries are demanded for main line stock.

Most models of industrial railways tend to be freelance so some Hornby Pecketts in non specific blacks, maroons and greens, either lined or plain would be very suitable for use in freelance industrial settings. I suspect that few of those already sold will actually see service on models of biscuit factories or the Ship Canal Railway.

I don't see models in the HP livery working a fictional dockyard any more authentic than one in a freelance livery working the same model. In fact, I'd prefer the latter.

Are we talking about modellers or collectors though?

I'm sure a modeller would easy change the identity if they really deemed it necessary.

I reckon if somebody did the research then almost every colour under the rainbow could appear, probably including yellow. A bit of T Cut and you can already have two shades of green and blue.

It's the idea of Kit Kat, Weetabix and Yorkshire Tea versions that are worrying me.

Jason

I'm sure a modeller would easy change the identity if they really deemed it necessary.

It's the idea of Kit Kat, Weetabix and Yorkshire Tea versions that are worrying me.

Jason

Some would, I will be changing liveries on a couple myself, but many would not. Nothing to do with being collectors but modellers feeling that they don't have the skills to repaint a model without making a mess of it.

As for Yorkshire Tea and Kit Kat, I know what you mean, certainly wouldn't interest me (unless they were cheap fodder for the spray booth) but if they sell for Hornby and the retailers, so be it.

• Like 1

For Christmas, my dear brother and his brood gave me a Hornby R1151 train set as my present.  This cost HALF the price of My Little Peckett from the same well-known retailer and we set it up on the dining table and used the wagon to ferry chocolates from a tub of Heroes to the roll of a die, you know, 1 for an eclair up to 6 for a dairy milk.  After a while I swapped the Caly Pug in the set for MLP which although smaller and more perfectly formed, did an excellent job of delivering the chocs!

The Bachmann Wickham wasn't up to the job at all.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I reckon if somebody did the research then almost every colour under the rainbow could appear, probably including yellow. A bit of T Cut and you can already have two shades of green and blue.

Jason

I wasn't suggesting gimmick liveries, think more plausible big names and breweries that might make nice fictitious liveries too in the steam period but would be recognisable to collectors and modellers. Done in the vein of the H&P livery rather than plastering a modern brand logo across the tank  ;)

• Like 3

Jason

What about LoadHaul?

• RMweb Gold
Crikey! How inventive is that? Once again Kirsty Allsopp to the rescue. A post Christmas use for all that chocolate........brilliant. Might have been better lettering as Cadburys rather than N.C.B though.

In fact, with all this talk of livery, how about a Christmas special for 2017 which is based on a Christmas pudding?

Rob.

post-14122-0-90568100-1482971809.jpeg

post-14122-0-70051400-1482972152.jpeg

Edited by nhy581

To some of us that's just like painting a Hall red and calling it Lord Westwood or Hogwarts Castle. I thought we were trying to get away from that sort of nonsense and leaving that for the GWR Holden and Smokey Joe.

There was 140 Peckett W4s in various liveries. Why do we need freelance ones?

Jason

Nonsense, it isn't. They need to be rid of the GWR Holden and Smokey Joe. They are long-since life-expired designs. They do the trainset end of the market no good at all, with their poor performance and very dated quality. What is needed is an alternative Railroad body for the Peckett chassis - and, yes, WE might not need fictitious liveries, but that end of the market thrives on them. Leave off the 'bells and whistles' and the complex printed liveries and keep those for the existing 'Peckett market'. That way we'd have the best of both Worlds. (CJL)

• Like 6

Have faith in Hornby, so far they've brought out three locos with fully prototypical liveries so there's no reason to think this will continue, at least for now.

Both the Sentinel and in the longer term, the Terrier have been produced in a multitude of prototype liveries. The most obvious one with the popularity of Dodo would be another one in Peckett Green.

Having had a few years in the wilderness, their more recent products that I've seen from my Dad's collection, notably the Pullman carriages, B1 and Q6 have all been top notch.

Give them chance and get back to the Modelling bench...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Nonsense, it isn't. They need to be rid of the GWR Holden and Smokey Joe. They are long-since life-expired designs. They do the trainset end of the market no good at all, with their poor performance and very dated quality. What is needed is an alternative Railroad body for the Peckett chassis - and, yes, WE might not need fictitious liveries, but that end of the market thrives on them. Leave off the 'bells and whistles' and the complex printed liveries and keep those for the existing 'Peckett market'. That way we'd have the best of both Worlds. (CJL)

I normally agree with your postings, but don't dismiss the Hornby Smokey Joe. We have quite a few and the new ones run very well, without being at warp speed. They can survive diving into the floor and can be uncoupled by five-year-olds without risk. Often available for a fiver or so, they can allow the creation of a fleet for repainting and fun, and if they are dead it is easy to remove the motor and let them become dead loads.

Meanwhile, my Peckett is lovely, but not child proof!

• Like 4

Yes, I've been impressed by the improvement in the basic 0-4-0 mechanism, but Railroad isn't a fixed standard purely for kids running at Warp 8 and could allow for a variant Peckett (perhaps with the original flywheel) - or better yet, another close-enough industrial. What else would be plausible?

[bTW has there been much discussion of the accuracy of the body?]

• RMweb Gold

Well, the leurgy that is currently afflicting me has seen me give up the unequal struggle of waiting until I feel better, to arrange a trip down to Camborne, and I have rung the excellent people at Kernow Model Rail Centre and asked them to post my Peckett to me. I only did this about half an hour or so ago, yet the chap there still hoped to be able to get it in the post to me this afternoon. That is just superb service.

Well, here's something amazing - after having rung Kernow Model Rail Centre yesterday to pay for my Peckett, it actually arrived just now with the postie, whilst I was catching up with this thread!

Again, I must reiterate how good the service from Kermow Model Rail Centre is.

It's still in it's brown paper wrapping, but I think I might just pop off and open it now, if you'll all excuse me for a moment!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 10