The Unusual and Unexpected on British Railways

Fascinating. I think you'll find that oddball and obscure snippets like this are genuinely interesting to at least 99.5% of the RMWeb membership. The other 0.5% will simply have to find something else to amuse them. Great stuff.

• RMweb Premium

When someone lives with depression, anxiety issues and emotional detachment, sometimes, just sometimes, starting and continuing a posting like this is enough to give a glimmer of purpose to their day, their week, their life. And then someone comes along and tells him that it's a pointless exercise. Thank you for snuffing that out.

I, for one, find these snippets very interesting, and I'm sure that many others do, too. 

Please keep them coming.

Thanks for posting these snippets - really interesting.

I'm a bit obsessed with making sure I am "authentic" when playing trains on the M&GN, so a snippet like this (which goes completely against the way the M&GN nearly always ran, with its rigorous poolicy of changing locos seemingly every 10 minutes) is always welcome:

While the following is delightful, and not something I am conscious of ever having seen before (the furthest west I remember a B17 is Melton Constable, from just one photo - though my memory is not what it was):

It reminded me of the discussion on the wonderful Peterborough North thread, about which new train should be modelled: someone suggested that a failed engine further north could be a reason for a loco of Type X to be seen.

I think it's interesting; many of us strive to follow working timetables and the known rosters, but by doing so we may actually risk being inauthentic - the best laid plans frequently went awry on the railways, and strange things happened instead. By never including any strange things, our models may be unrealistic.

So as you can guess I don't agree with jonny777 who wrote:

I often find myself criticising things for what they are not, rather than accepting them for what they are and trying to build on them. What the OP did was what it was; and I for one found it fascinating and surprisingly useful.

Please keep them coming!

Paul

I understand your reasons for disagreeing; but the point I was trying to make was, what happens when there are multiple pages of these snippets?

How do people (especially newcomers) find what they may be looking for without trawling through the entire thread?

How do people (especially newcomers) find what they may be looking for without trawling through the entire thread?

The same can be said of almost any other RMWeb thread. Enjoy it for what it is, don't nitpick that it isn't perfect. What is?

... How do people (especially newcomers) find what they may be looking for without trawling through the entire thread?

By cunningly doing as I have - cutting and pasting the snippets that I know will interest me and including them in a reply. A quick search of my own posts and, hey presto!

More seriously: it's not the OP's job to create a complex database which will service my particular needs and those of everyone else. What he has taken the time and trouble to do is much, much better than doing nothing. Surely how any of us choose to use it (or not) is up to us?

Paul

When someone lives with depression, anxiety issues and emotional detachment, sometimes, just sometimes, starting and continuing a posting like this is enough to give a glimmer of purpose to their day, their week, their life. And then someone comes along and tells him that it's a pointless exercise. Thank you for snuffing that out.

Nooooooooo.

When I first saw this thread, I was mildly interested. Once I started reading, I passed an enjoyable half hour, (when I shoukld have been painting a windowsill).

PLEASE don't let one "off" comment spoil it for you and by that, us too.

I'm sure Johnny wasn't being critical, and he has a point if you want to use this for research...but 95% of us won't.

I think the point of the OP was less to provide specific examples for use than to provide a general illustration that it is often possible to justify the running of a favourite locomotive or stock on a layout set in an area where they would not normally be seen.

For example, Unless I was modelling Blackpool, Wolverhampton or one of the stations in between, on a specific date, it's of limited use to me to know exactly which three Britannias arrived there in quick succession and when. However, it may well be useful to me to be aware that Brits could be seen in great profusion in the general area at times so that I can justify, to myself at least, running several into the fictional north-west seaside resort station of New Bournemouth one after the other.

• RMweb Gold

For example, Unless I was modelling Blackpool, Wolverhampton or one of the stations in between, on a specific date, it's of limited use to me to know exactly which three Britannias arrived there in quick succession and when. However, it may well be useful to me to be aware that Brits could be seen in great profusion in the general area at times so that I can justify, to myself at least, running several into the fictional north-west seaside resort station of New Bournemouth one after the other.

Research for my West Midlands scenario c1960 threw up all sorts. Besides a lot of rarities on incoming excursions from B1s to Spamcans there were examples such as a Jubilee on a special coal working towards Stourport Power Station, don't know how far it got, but it was in the Dudley area at least.

Nooooooooo.

When I first saw this thread, I was mildly interested. Once I started reading, I passed an enjoyable half hour, (when I shoukld have been painting a windowsill).

PLEASE don't let one "off" comment spoil it for you and by that, us too.

I'm sure Johnny wasn't being critical, and he has a point if you want to use this for research...but 95% of us won't.

No I wasn't being critical, but because I do not want to upset people I have deleted my original post.

As for a database, I have tried. In fact the idea was to piggy-back this kind of info onto the BRDatabase site, but there were many extra complexities that I had not thought about when having my "brainwave".

• RMweb Premium

There are some "sightings" of locos already on the BRdatabase, some routine such as "Works Visit" to slightly more unusual. but still thin on the ground.

It is however a project that is evolving all the time.

Keith

Yes, some sightings are on there.

But they all had to be input manually because of field size and layout considerations.

The main problem is that they will only appear if a search is done on a particular loco. It was hoped that a way might be found to enable searching on a year (very useful for modelling purposes) and a location, but this would involve a complete rebuilding of the site, not to mention extra searchable fields.

No I wasn't being critical, but because I do not want to upset people I have deleted my original post.

As for a database, I have tried. In fact the idea was to piggy-back this kind of info onto the BRDatabase site, but there were many extra complexities that I had not thought about when having my "brainwave".

I spent an hour on it last night, so much so that I dreamed about it, but could NOT come up with a workable plan.

• RMweb Gold

7th October

1952 - GNR 4-2-2 No.1 (from York Musueum) and GNR 4-4-2 251 (from Doncaster Works are towed up to London for the King’s Cross Centenary Exhibition 13-18 October. 60022 Mallard (A4) makes it’s own way.

1955 - 73100/01/02 (Clan) (Std 5MT) form a unique consecutively numbered trio working three football specials from St Enoch to Stranraer 

- D20 4-4-0 62387 pilots A2/2 Cock o’ the North between Ripon and Harrogate on the 8.55am Newcastle to Liverpool, an impressive combination

1959 - Up fish train leaves Carlisle behind 45504 Royal Signals (Patriot) (82E Yeovil Pen Mill shed ?) ex-works. Bristol engines are not often seen in Carlisle.

- 70053 Moray Firth (Britannia) (55A Holbeck shed), also ex-works, heads the 5.30 am Scrooby to New England freight. Holebeck Britannias are rarities on the East Coast main line

1960 - 3.44pm  East Croydon to East Grinstead is hauled by 80015 (Standard 4MT T) and includes three 1st Class Pullman cars, to be used for filming on the 11th 

1963 - 0-6-0PT 3759 heads the 5.50pm Exmouth to Tipton St Johns, unusual power

1964 - 4.20pm King’s Cross to Leeds (the XP64 train) fails at Mashmoor. The following 4.22pm to Royston terminates at Brookham’s Park, is then run on the Down main line  and pushed the 4.20 to Hatfield

1965 - 6947 Helmingham Hall (Hall) is seen - uniquely - on Lickey incline banking duties when D6939 derails at Bromsgrove and no other loco is available

1968 - The ‘Euro-Scot Freightliner’ is inaugurated by D9021 Argyll & Sutherland Highlander, (Class 55) seen heading north complete with headboard

• RMweb Gold

8th October

1956 - 76033 (Standard 4MT) is a small engine to work the 8.50am Liverpool Street to Ely

1957 - 61234 (B1) (30A Stratford Shed) heads a troop train from Harwich through to Dover (Marine) and returns with the empty ER stock

1958 - D34 4-4-0 62471 Glen Falloch pilots 60068 Sir Visto (A3) between Edinburgh and Hawick on the 9.25pm Waverley  to St Pancras, a nostalgic combination

- 45725 Repulse (Jubilee) (41C Millhouses shed)  is an unexpected guest in Gorton Works

1961 - 0-6-0 2210 is a rare sight at Northampton, booked to work a train to Stratford-on-Avon

1962 - 8.10am King’s Cross to Hull leaves with D1500 (Class 47)  & 61389 (B1) (to Grantham)

- D336 (Class 40) (5A Crewe North Shed) reaches Plymouth (a first for this type) on the 12.5pm from Manchester. D156 (Class 46) also arrives on ‘The Cornishman’. Both are sent specially to test Laira’s new loco washing facilities, for LMR guidance

1965 - 4079 Pendennis Castle (Castle) and A3 4472 Flying Scotsman both appear on Southall Shed.

1966 - A3 4472 Flying Scotsman reaches Blackpool Illuminations special ex-Lincoln

- 60532 Blue Peter (A2) heads a railtour, Edinburgh/Hawick/Carlisle/Beattock and back to Waverley via Corsairs. A2s don’t often traverse Beattock

1967 - Unprecedented event - a Sunday train over the St Andrews branch! Excursion from Glasgow is run in connection with a golf tournament, headed by D5369 (Class 27) to Leuchars where D5122 (Class 24) (60A Inverness Shed) attaches at the rear to top & tail the train

• RMweb Premium

7th October

1955 - 73100/01/02 (Clan) form a unique consecutively numbered trio working three football specials from St Enoch to Stranraer 

1959 - Up fish train leaves Carlisle behind 45504 Royal Signals (Patriot) (82E Yeovil Pen Mill shed ?) ex-works. Bristol engines are not often seen in Carlisle.

Some really odddities there Scottystitch, keep them coming.

A couple of anomalies possibly.

I assume the Clans should be 72000/1/2 ?

82E was Bristol Barrow Road, although 45504 had been a Carlisle (12A) engine until near the end of 1958 so is there some logical explanation?

Corsairs = Carstairs?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Some really odddities there Scottystitch, keep them coming.

A couple of anomalies possibly.

I assume the Clans should be 72000/1/2 ?

82E was Bristol Barrow Road, although 45504 had been a Carlisle (12A) engine until near the end of 1958 so is there some logical explanation?

Corsairs = Carstairs?

Cheers

Keith

Sorry Keith, I'm not firing on all cylinders. Please bear with me re errors/typos. Please also continue to point them out and I will correct them. Apple spell-correct doesn't like Carstairs, clearly.

Re the "Clans", my mistake, they are of course Std 5MTs.

Re 82E, I got the info from here: http://www.railuk.info/steam/getshed.php?id=538 It might be easier if I don't search and include shed info, as it seems I'm creating more confusion than necessary. I was actually trying to help, but I'm making too many errors I think.

Fascinating stuff. I used to love reading the traction reports in the Railway World back in the 1970s and 80s when odd workings would get a report, and occasionally seeing an oddity myself working past my primary school along the Trent Valley line then reading about it a couple of months later in the back of the RW was always exciting.

Do please keep them coming.

• RMweb Gold

9th October

1948 - 3.42pm Liverpool Street to St Ives unusually arrives at Cambridge with 61621 Hatfield House (B17) piloting streamlined B17 61659 East Anglian.  The pilot is detaches and 61659 works on to it’s destination

1952 - ‘Midlander’ arrives in Paddington behind 7927 Willington Hall, plus boat train from Liverpool (Riverside) behind 5066 Wardour Castle. ‘Mancunian’ arrives in St Pancras behind 45595 Southern Rhodesia (Jubilee)

1953 - Q 0-6-0 30548 reaches Bath - a first for the class - over the S&D from Poole. Returns to Bournemouth with the 9.55am from Green Park on the 15th

1954 - 76002 (Standard 4MT) (66b Motherwell Shed) arrives in Aberdeen on the ‘Saint Mungo’, the 5pm from Buchanan Street. A 4MT 2-6-0 is very unexpected power on this train!

- O4 2-8-0 63821 & J39 0-6-0 64824 is equally unexpected power to be seen on the York to Banbury express north of Nottingham

1957 - D5700/01 (Class 28) appear at Manchester (Central) on the 12.5pm to St Pancras

1960 - Most unusually, the ‘Golden Arrow’ is worked via Chatham in each direction

1961 - Cliffe to Uddingston cement train is worked by 92186 (Standard 9F) as far as York

1963 - Rarity of the month is the arrival of 60021 Wild Swan (A4) at Derby on the 12.15pm Newcastle to Bristol! 60021 returns on the 6.30am Derby to Sheffield local next day

1964 - Down ‘Aberdonian’ limps into Hitching behind D1568 (Class 47) (40B) - itself rare on a Deltic diagram - and is replaced by D5903 (Class 23) to Peterborough, even rarer

Archived