GWR Hall Class

The early 50s produced a few livery anomalies as the new painting guidelines bedded in. A handful of locos from various classes received lined MT black livery when the standard for their class was plain black. At least one loco I know of (1470) received both lined black livery and red-back number plates. There may have been others.

It would be really great if Hornby and Bachmann could do a deal with Precision paint and paint their Halls the right colour at the factory.  It really is a pain to have to repaint the locos while trying to retain the lining.  

The "right" colour is always a tricky subject. Prior to nationalisation, paint tended to be mixed locally (often by hand). Whilst there were official recipes, there was still a fair bit of variation and that is before the effects of fading and weathering are taken into account.

• RMweb Gold

The red background to names and number plates was usually used with black livery engines.

Mike Wiltshire

Off topc but here's an example shewing 7827 Lydham Manor.

post-126-0-02257000-1472227221_thumb.jpg

I found it interesting that the latest Railroad Hall (6947) has a fire iron tunnel and is £70-odd quid. When the non-fire iron tunnel version was done in green it wasn't labelled Railroad and was just over £100.00 around the same price as Bachmann's fully detailed Halls.

Edited by coachmann

• 2 years later...

Good Morning All

I may dig out the Hall thread and ask if Baccy's modified Halls have tender pickups now and the DCC plugin in the tender.

With regard to the non-modified Hall class models, does Kinlet Hall (ba 32-003) provide for NEM pockets?

Cheers

Mark

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

Good Morning All

I may dig out the Hall thread and ask if Baccy's modified Halls have tender pickups now and the DCC plugin in the tender.

With regard to the non-modified Hall class models, does Kinlet Hall (ba 32-003) provide for NEM pockets?

Cheers

Mark

The older, split chassis, slightly over-wide firebox  ( before DCC became a standard fitment) Modified Halls, I have, didn't include tender pick-ups, but I added my own.

5 hours ago, Guardian said:

Good Morning All

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, Kinlet Hall does have NEM pockets. 

Jon

• 2 months later...

My son asked me to read him the blurb on the back of our R 3205 Rood Ashton Hall.  I rarely read these but this one seems spectacularly error strewn.  Churchward died in 1933, the Hall had smaller wheels not larger wheels and I think 2925 wasn’t renumbered until a few after modification to a Hall.  Any advance?  You’d think these would be proof read and fact checked.

David

F62D87EF-8340-47D4-8EA3-7E34A7B442A7.jpeg

I liked the description of a 63' long locomotive weighing 75 tons plus a 46 ton 14cwt tender. So I estimate loco and tender together are about 127 footons weightlong overall. I suspect someone's notes in poor handwriting which have been transcribed into soft copy by another (with no knowledge of the subject) for production purposes.

Further errors are in evidence on other Hornby blurbs. A very striking example was on their very nice D16/3 4-4-0, the sketch plan showing a loco and tender of overall length 16.275m over buffers, somehow accommodating an impressive 71.628m loco wheelbase.