GWR Hall Class

'Halls' are a mixed bag. Hornby's Railroad Hall in maroon is good value when one is going to carve off all the mounded handrails and fit knob & wire ones. Hornby's BR livery Hall is around £100.00 and as it still has mounlded hnadrails it is not such a bargain. In fact it's a cheek,  but it does represent the earliest Halls with no fire-iron tunnel over the rear splasher. Both are DCC-friendly and run very well with fly-wheel mechanisms.

Bachmann produces the Collett 'Hall' with fire iron tunnel. It is a neat accurate model.  Bachmann also does a Modified 'Hall' with Hawksworth detail married to Collett front end, although it is easily missed...! Both models run well but are not DCC-Sound friendly.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

It's Universal Studios, Orlando - any idea which loco this is?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97290912@N05/22094392643/in/dateposted-public/

That is the static model.

The ride version is pictured in #33, and is has obvious shortcomings--note the off-center boiler etc. That and the North American whistle they use.. Don't even get me started on the coaches.

The (slightly older) static model is very convincing however. I haven't been there and can't attest to its dimensional accuracy but it really looks quite good.

Quentin

Edited by mightbe

Yea I went to Orlando back in April an I could not believe how well they did with the static hall! They went to the extream to be accurate ! I had to get down an under to see around the front that it was made from wood as well as metal. Very good it was.

Well, I have acquired 'Adderley Hall' off Ebay for £68 and have to say it looks very good indeed. There are obvious omissions and compromises like the moulded smokebox darts and rear tender handrails, rather 'iffy' looking chimney with a rather conspicuous join round its base, skimpy cab fittings and somewhat simplified crosshead/slidebar detail, but I wonder if all this applies to the 'mainstream' version too? I have not had the works out yet to see what motor it has, but we ran it round the Club layout last night and it ran very sweetly straight out of the box. Although I will be hacking it about to change the boiler fittings, it does seem remarkably good value 'as is' and if the dodgy red versions are to the same standard then they definitely represent a good basis for some TLC.

I have noticed however, looking at the Ebay  offerings that the 'Hogwarts Castle' looks to be a Modified Hall, judging by the fire iron tunnel on the fireman's side and the swept back steam pipes.

Edited by steve howe

I have noticed however, looking at the Ebay  offerings that the 'Hogwarts Castle' looks to be a Modified Hall, judging by the fire iron tunnel on the fireman's side and the swept back steam pipes.

Fire Iron tunnels were introduced with 5920. The model "Hogwarts Castle" is based on a Castle Tooling and so does not match the real loco properly. Check the images below.

DSCF7057-800.jpg

photo-7.jpg

Easiest way to tell the Modified Halls are the shape of the front. The modified Halls have chunky cast reinforcements over the front bogie.

047.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

• RMweb Gold

The essential difference in the bogie is that the one used on 'Modified Halls' has plate frames - hence a piece of plate across the front - and the mainframes are extended right through to the bufferbeam above footplate level with a far better arrangement between the frames below the smokebox door for shovelling smokebox  char.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a Bachmann 32-005 Hall 4962 'Ragley Hall', which is in Green with early emblem which I would like to re-number.

I believe Bachmann have modelled this on its mid 50's livery. 

I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of what other non modified halls carried an early emblem with green livery?

I am especially interested in locos that were allocated to sheds in the West country.

Due to the time period of around 1955 with B&W photos I find it very difficult to distinguish between black and green liveries.    

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lee 

The light grey of LNWR style lining out on black locos would be pretty obvious on black & white photos whereas the fine orange lining on green locos is often quite invisible. The Western Region was quick off the mark adopting green and it pre-dated the 1956 livery changes. I seem to recall the 'Halls' were amongst the first recipients and of course carried the early totem. Not sure if a list of locos so painted exists and so as usual photos are the best bet. A quick glance through 'Portrait of Western 4-6-0's shows 4914 Cranmore Hall, 4949 Packwood Hall and  4910 Blaisdon Hall in green with early totem. Two photos of locos photographed ex works in Swindon Works yard are dated February 1957 (early crest) and November 1957 (late crest).

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

The light grey of LNWR style lining out on black locos would be pretty obvious on black & white photos whereas the fine orange lining on green locos is often quite invisible. The Western Region was quick off the mark adopting green and it pre-dated the 1956 livery changes. I seem to recall the 'Halls' were amongst the first recipients and of course carried the early totem. Not sure if a list of locos so painted exists and so as usual photos are the best bet. A quick glance through 'Portrait of Western 4-6-0's shows 4914 Cranmore Hall, 4949 Packwood Hall and  4910 Blaisdon Hall in green with early totem. Two photos of locos photographed ex works in Swindon Works yard are dated February 1957 (early crest) and November 1957 (late crest).

Many thanks Coachmann,

I will see if I can now identify the liveries from black & white photos with your advice.

Regards

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a short video with closeups of my Hornby Railroad 'Adderley Hall'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7La9zdGr9g

I think it's a great value Railroad model

A Trax feedback controller was used.

(I'm sorry about the dust and cat hair and the slightly misaligned valve gear. All fixed after the video was shot :) )

Anders

Edited by AndersJ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Recently I've acquired one of the Harry Potter Olton Hall's for a good price.  The plan is to repaint it into post-war GWR G-crest-W livery.

My question is should a pre-nationalisation Hall carry the speedo mounting bracket moulded on the Hornby model?

Thanks in advance.

Mark