Who does a GWR Pagoda building in 7mm ?

muddys-blues

Hello, as the title asks, I am seeing if anybody knows of any good 7mm GWR Pagoda kits, I know that Skytrex make one, but I was seeing if there was a more refined kit, or is the Skytrex one okay for the money and is a good base for detailing ?

Thanks in advance

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

PLM Cast-Aways do one in plaster, but I don't know of any others (other than Skytrex), nor how good this one is.

http://www.invertrain.com/detail.php?item=2055

the only other alternative would appear to be building one from Metalsmith corrugated Iron sheeting, but curving the roof sections may prove to be a problem.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

If you can draw it in 3D you can always get one printed? but it wont be cheep.

Marc

3D print the roof only.

If you only design one end and a short straight section, you'd have the components to make a variety of sizes of pagoda.

Edit : A 'smaller supplier' on here is looking for new items to print, he already does 4mm platform canopies - Model Railway Structures. Usual disclaimers apply.

Edited by Stubby47

Wow I didn't know that there were so many  variants. If someone can send me a drawing of one I will have a go a drawing one out for our new small building range. We have just done a GWR/Lamborne Shed, and a brick privy which will be available at Reading.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig

There are no makers of `refined` GWR Pagodas in 7mm or 4mm that I can recall.

Your right, Skytrex do a resin effort in 7mm, but the roof is wonky....the sides are not too bad and if you are prepared to kit bash with a slitting disc you can turn it round to make a half decent model........

post-17779-0-59046400-1444489585_thumb.jpg

john

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 2

Hi John, thanks for the detailed reply, I was searching about the pagodas and I came across your Churchill Halt thread "also on Western Thunder", are the white metal supports under the platform the ones from the Skytrex platform kit ?

Best regards

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

Yes they are Craig......

Out of the platform kits, I scrapped the platforms as they are too thin. The fencing is good but more suited to the alternative GWR shelter available at Duncan Models.

Cheers

John

• 1 year later...

looks like another little model I will look at myself for 3D printing.

I can find drawing of exterior. Is there an internal framework?

Also was there a standard depth, as I presume that would alter height of the roof? Thinking modular for design.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• 11 months later...

Most models that I have seen of GWR corrugated iron huts, whether pagodas or not, suffer in appearance from the use of corrugated material which is too coarse. The actual corrugated iron used had corrugations at 3 inch pitch and anyone designing 3D-printed or laser-cut versions will find that following the prototype in this respect will produce a much finer looking model. The corrugated iron used was factory coated with a bitumen-like covering, even if the hut was subsequently to be painted in station colours.

• 3 months later...

I recommend you talk to Intentio models. Here are some photos of my test-build for their GWR Pagoda hut. It is corrugated card on laser-cut mdf. The shape and curves of the roof are perfect and the best I have seen on any model.

I have no business connection with Intentio.

Regards,

CK

post-13142-0-01458100-1532674558_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-17078400-1532674587_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-43122900-1532674608_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-01458100-1532674558_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-17078400-1532674587_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-43122900-1532674608_thumb.jpg

• Like 6