Buxstone

D9JEF

Ian,

Thanks for the comments. 410 does look a bit overcooked on the photo - it looks much better in the flesh. I think the issue is that I have left too much dirt on the yellow parts and I think I need to make this a touch more subtle in future.

Had a delivery of a professionally weathered and renumbered Tug today. 60 049 Scafell in full Metals 3TG. One for Grimley and Shedmaster to enjoy...

Comparing my own efforts I have a long way to go in the weathering stakes as I couldn't recreate this (yet!). I am particularly impressed with the blinds, newspaper and other cab details

Pic attached

post-7486-067673300 1287840367_thumb.jpg

I have finally got some more time to spend on the layout so I am relaying the track and finishing off the platforms. I will take some pics and update the thread when I am happy with the progress

Regards

Jeff

Excellent weathering ;)

What mixture of paint did you use?

Thanks Arpley,

The paint is a combination of roof grime and sleeper grime. Both are liberally applied and then removed with baby wipes and thinner soaked cotton buds.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Very slow progress with Buxstone due to health problems which massively affects motivation.

However, I have been active with detailing and weathering stock as I will be exhibiting at Wigan with Oulton TMD and I always wat to run some of my own stock. I have recently bought and completed weathering a HEA coal train and a rake of Scrap steel wagons (SSA's HEA's and an OBA all carrying baled scap metal. I am very happy with the outcome and have weathered all the wagons. Anyone going to the wigan show should see these running. The loads are by Ten Commandments and complement the rake of OBA's I have carrying steel coil. Pics to follow if anyone wants to see.

Regards

Jeff

Ian,

Thanks for the comments. 410 does look a bit overcooked on the photo - it looks much better in the flesh. I think the issue is that I have left too much dirt on the yellow parts and I think I need to make this a touch more subtle in future.

Had a delivery of a professionally weathered and renumbered Tug today. 60 049 Scafell in full Metals 3TG. One for Grimley and Shedmaster to enjoy...

Comparing my own efforts I have a long way to go in the weathering stakes as I couldn't recreate this (yet!). I am particularly impressed with the blinds, newspaper and other cab details

Pic attached

post-7486-067673300 1287840367_thumb.jpg

I have finally got some more time to spend on the layout so I am relaying the track and finishing off the platforms. I will take some pics and update the thread when I am happy with the progress

Regards

Jeff

To be honest mate as a pro weatherer myself I think yours are nearer the mark than the 60. Theres never an excuse for airbrushed tiger stripes on any loco! You get too many people being IMHO too reliant on the airbrush thinking airbrushing it means its pro, it doesn't. Its a tool like any other and should be used for what its best at. In weathering its best used for applying the dirt and grime that is a result of airborn particles which rain washed grime down the bodyside never ever is! You need to add about 85% of your weathered finish using a brush and mainly taking most of it off again in dabs and streaks with cotton buds and thinners. That leaves muck in all the nooks and crannys where real life muck stay's even after washing too as the brushes dont get in there to fish it out. Then add the bodyside streaking using the rainstrips and panel edges as a guide as to where rain would run (a nice controlable way of doing this is using a soft pencil instead of paint, draw it on and do one rub down the body with a finger to just soften it a touch, once clear coated the graphite shine vanishes and it looks the biz. Pencil is good for adding panel lines too with a ruler, it an old model aircraft/sci fi trick and look tons better than you'd think! See attched defiant pic, I did the whole panelled surface with pencil.). Only then are you in a position to blow dirt on trying to mimick what the real airborn stuff would do as it is sucked onto the bodywork and underframe by the passage of the train and the way is moves the air around. Looking as photos of the actual class of loco pays dividends here. Finish of with the exhaust soot which needs to be blown on to get the subtle coating that exhaust dirt gives.

As I say I think you are going the right way with yours the effect is good, maybe just take a little more paint off as you fill those nooks but dirtiness is a preference really so have a play. I try to restrain myself but thats again my preference, its about enhancing detail and that needs to be done even to ex works locos if you want them to look real. I've added a pic of 60 024 and 37332 to show what I mean.

Cheers

Cav

post-6894-096772400 1290979869_thumb.jpg

post-6894-049088900 1290980085_thumb.jpg

post-6894-067798700 1290979694_thumb.jpg

Jeff - I think that 47 looks the business mate. I would much rather have my locos look like that than your 'pro - weathered' 60049, which I presume you paid a decent bit of wedge for!

When comparing the two Tug's, Cav's 60026 looks a lot more realistic having been appropriately weathered. 60049 hasn't got that organic look about it, if I can use such a word to describe weathering!

Cheers

Alex

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback on my weathering attempts. Nice to get some positive feedback.

ArpleyModeller,

I will take some pics of the HEA's tomorrow and post them.

Regards

Jeff

Hi All,

Quick update as I have weathered a few more wagons.

Arpley - HEA's just for you. The loads are by Ten Commandments.

post-7486-093591200 1291405538_thumb.jpg

I have also completed my baled scrap train which consists of 7 POA's, 2 HEA's and an OBA. All have been weathered and loads added (Ten commandments again!)

post-7486-003532400 1291405662_thumb.jpg

Close up of the loads - painted with Oily Steel, then dry brushed with matt black and finally rust colours added over the top

post-7486-023132300 1291405752_thumb.jpg

Finally I managed to pick up some grain wagons cheaply and I have weathered these. I have 5 and will run them as a part of a mixed speedlink rake

post-7486-026852800 1291405849_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Jeff

Evening all,

In preparation for the Wigan exhibition where I am helping Allan Cromarty with Oulton TMD, I have weathered a few more loco's and some stock.

Thought one or two of you might want to see....

Queen Mother - Sound fitted and detailed

post-7486-000010400 1291935467_thumb.jpg

40 145 also been weathered and detailed and had sound and lights fitted. I am particularly pleased with how it has turned out. I just need a Pathfinder Tours HEadboard for it to complete the model.

post-7486-091126400 1291935476_thumb.jpg

I have also included a couple of pics of weathered stock I am taking to Wigan. Hope to see one or two of you there

post-7486-094267600 1291935489_thumb.jpg

post-7486-017268300 1291935506_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

hey Jeff, anynew loco from xmas? your stock looks like the real thing (weathered) you will have to teach me at the club when your free?

Hi Rory,

Thanks for the comments about the weathering.

Got a few new locos recently - 47340 in Freightliner grey, 37421 in Railfreight Petroleum (both Vi-trains) and my wife bought me 47853 in XP64 livery (Heljan). I just need 47840 in banger blue to complete a full set of Virgin class 47/8 heritage repaints. I just need Bachmann or Hornby to pull their finger out and make some decent Mark II air con coaches.

No updates on the layout for a while as I have been working on stock and have lost my drive to continue with the layout. Don't worry as it has started to return and I think I will go in the garage later.

Regards

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Hurray!!!!

My modelling mojo has finally returned. I have finally got out in the garage and completed the fiddle yard extension boards and wired up the additional point motors to complete it.

As a result I have managed to write a manageable to-do list for the next few tasks. As follows:

- lay the last 3 tracks in fiddle yard (taking it up to 15 through roads

- solder the tracks to the screws at the end of each board to hold in position

- use slitting disc to cut through tracks

- dismantle fiddle yard boards

- bring fiddle yard boards in house and complete wiring on point motors

- move scenic boards across garge to allow access to other side of the boards

- rectify track issues on scenic boards (only 2 small areas) that caused me to lose my mojo

- complete point motor wiring on scenic boards

- build point panels

Nice small list !!! But at least it has allowed me to understand what the next steps are. I would be interested if others have had small(ish) trackwork / electrical / scenic issues that have stopped modelling for a while and what made you crack on again. For me it was operating an exhibition layout that my son couldn't come and 'play' with (operate is the technical term I believe) and I want him to be able to use mine.

Pics to come soon when I have done something worth photographing.

Regards

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

Progrress has been made. All fiddle yard trackas have been laid and all the tracks at board joins have been soldered to screws to hold them in place!

Pretty pleased with that - next job is to silt the tracks and then dismantle the fiddle yard boards to wire all the point motors up.

Pics to follow if there is anything worth photographing!! NEED TO DO SCENIC STUFF........

jeff

Evening all,

I have laid all track, nailed it all down in the fiddle yard and ballasted it all in the scenic area. I am now starting to draw a track plan that is just straight lines so that I can use it as a numbering sequence for the point motor wiring. Has anyone drawn track plans like this as I am really struggling with it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Jeff

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

Just 5 months and 10 days since my last update! How embarrasing...

Not much of an update as the modelling has taken second fiddle to family matters and the new job. I have managed to do a little bit but not masses on Buxstone. The main thing is to draw up a to-do list and cut the fiddle yard boards and start to complete the wiring underneath. However, I have continued to buy stock even though someone once told me you can have too mush. Not sure I believe that! How many is too many... I would love to hear other opinions on this!

The bulk of the new stock fits nicely in my chosen timescale but I just had to buy the Class 60 in British Steel livery and a banger blue Deltic. Can I justify a Class 28 as I went in to Hattons last week and they look superb! My thinking is to buy one and repaint in to Derby RTC colours and renumber in to the DB series.

During my inactivity I have changed my mind about what the depot will be. My thoughts are to have a 2 road running shed for general loco servicing and the line next to it will be a single road carriage shed capable of holding 2 coaches or a 2 car DMU. The idea is to have this as a maintenance shed for RTC stock that is based away from the main base at Derby. I currently have Experiment, Ixion and 6 coaches all in RTC livery. My wish list (i.e. I will buy next) are a couple of the Silver Fox models (Hydra, Iris) and the aforementioned Class 28 plus a Class 23 (potentially repainted) and run the layout as a mainline station plus depot and the RTC shed.

I will also be keeping my eye out for other pieces of RTC and S&T stock as I like how unusual they are. The nicest model I have seen was a Class 84 load bank loco that someone asked to see on Oulton TMD when we were exhibiting once. I can see a Bachmann 85 being reworked to see what can be done.

To finish, I thought I would show a few pictures showing how the layout is looking at the moment...

Chaos in the garage...

post-7486-0-96018800-1314132181.jpg

View of the wiring under the fiddle yard boards

post-7486-0-07591200-1314132198.jpg

Finally, a plan of the fiddleyard showing the point plan as the points will be controlled by a push button 12v plan. The layout will be DCC control for the rest of it

post-7486-0-40741700-1314132207.jpg

Any comments are welcome and hopefully I will update again sooner than I have!

Regards

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Heh welcome back stranger. ;)

Glad to see things are moving on and you've started on the point motors, but don't worry about the lack of progress, we all have periods where the layout is down the pecking order for a while. Its been ages since I made any significant progress on mine and so I haven't posted anything and my thread was on page 7 last time Iooked I think!

• 8 months later...

Ahem.

It's over 8 months this time Jeff are you still out there fella???

Good grief! I didn't realise it had been so long. Not really moved on very much with other priorities taking hold of my time. I am still helping operate Oulton TMD and this gives me enough of a fix. I still lurk around RMWeb most weeks and keep meaning to crack on.

I will try and make some improvements as I have started building my running sheds so I will post some updates in the next week or so with the progress.

Thanks for the nudge...

Jeff

Archived