Buxstone

D9JEF

Quick update ...

I have spent some time this week laying the final sections of track on the scenic side. I have 'bitten the bullet' and made the bay platform a through road and added a long headshunt at the other end. Some pictures attached:

View of my Mk 2 Gauging train in what was the bay platform. The platform ends are at the end of the scenic section and the Station building will be above. The platform edge on the far left will be fenced off from the 2 freight sidings. I hope to have working lights and station canopies along the platforms at some stage.

post-7486-126841206027_thumb.jpg

A view of the new pointwork where the tracks go round in to the fiddle yard

post-7486-126841212072_thumb.jpg

New trackwork laid at the platform headshunt. This will hold 5 coaches if required.

post-7486-126841217078_thumb.jpg

I have also started the ballasting in the Depot area using woodland scenics light grey ballast. So far I have started in the fuel unloading track ...

post-7486-126841226385_thumb.jpg

As they say on Loony Tunes ...

Thats all Folks !

Quick update. Following on from the excellent weathering guide that Kevin of Leaford Park uploaded I have finally had a go at weathering some of my stock. I completed 4 Heljan Cargowaggons.

Full guide can be found at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/4130-leaford-1990s-nse/page__st__175

I used a spray can of track dirt and a baby wipe to take the paint off.

I have posted a few pictures of the finished results.

I have also been wiring the new track to the Track Bus and have weathered more track.

Look forward to receiving any comments.

Jeff

post-7486-126894996385_thumb.jpg

post-7486-126894999761_thumb.jpg

post-7486-12689500263_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Quick update. Following on from the excellent weathering guide that Kevin of Leaford Park uploaded I have finally had a go at weathering some of my stock. I completed 4 Heljan Cargowaggons.

Full guide can be found at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/4130-leaford-1990s-nse/page__st__175

I used a spray can of track dirt and a baby wipe to take the paint off.

I have posted a few pictures of the finished results.

I have also been wiring the new track to the Track Bus and have weathered more track.

Look forward to receiving any comments.

Jeff

post-7486-126894996385_thumb.jpg

post-7486-126894999761_thumb.jpg

post-7486-12689500263_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

The weathering looks superb mate, you have certainly done a great job, i often find that spray cans are hard to create a 'mist' with but you really seem to have mastered this!

I seem to recall you had a method of connecting wires to the BUS without the need to solder? If so could you post a few pics of the end result 'under the board' and the tools required wehn you get a minute, i'm quite intrigued!

Cheers, Rich

• RMweb Premium

Nice job Jeff, they look pretty much how I would expect to see them on the 'real' railway.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Good to see you're making progress with the layout as well, we're still at pretty much the same stage, which if I remember right I said on your thread last year sometime!icon_lol.gif

Forgot to add thanks for posting the video on my thread earlier it does sound good doesn't it, obviously the 31 wouldn't be my first choice, but was good all the same.

Jeff,

The weathering looks superb mate, you have certainly done a great job, i often find that spray cans are hard to create a 'mist' with but you really seem to have mastered this!

I seem to recall you had a method of connecting wires to the BUS without the need to solder? If so could you post a few pics of the end result 'under the board' and the tools required wehn you get a minute, i'm quite intrigued!

Cheers, Rich

Rich,

The tools required for the power bus once the wires are soldered to the rails are:

Crimp Tool - used to squeeze the the crimp blade to the wire (red on picture below)

Normal Pliers - used to squeeze the Blade splice to the power bus wire (blue on picture below)

post-7486-126903644452_thumb.jpg

post-7486-126903691212_thumb.jpg

Hope it shows it clearly enough Rich. You are always welcome to pop round and you can have a look see.

Jeff

I have also taken a few more pics of my Weathered Cargowaggons and I have had a practice on a Lima 47 with Hampshire Hogs method.

post-7486-126903664937_thumb.jpg

post-7486-126903667368_thumb.jpg

Class 47 317 Willesden Yard

post-7486-12690367145_thumb.jpg

And finally a comparison between factory weathering and my attempt - The yellow Blue circle van is factory weathered.

post-7486-126903680472_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jeff

I have also taken a few more pics of my Weathered Cargowaggons and I have had a practice on a Lima 47 with Hampshire Hogs method.

47317 is Lima RTR, as the above caption mentioned. The weathering - especially on the bodyside, where it suggests rippling of the structure - is very convincing. The home-brewed Cargowaggon is to my eye more convincing than the factory BCC van too. Good stuff!

Evening all,

Recieved some Steel Coil loads from Ten Commandments that I have painted and loaded in a rake of OBA / OCA's. I have also been busy weathering the wagons.

Hampshire Hog has a lot to answer for with his wetahering guide - done 14 wagons so far !! Just need to pluck up the courage and weather one of my Sound chipped locos ...

The coils have been painted with Oily steel coloured paint.

A few pictures of my new steel train, look forward to receiving any comments.

Jeff

post-7486-126947578396_thumb.jpg

post-7486-126947579928_thumb.jpg

post-7486-12694758216_thumb.jpg

Evening all,

Spent the evening in the garage working on Buxstone. Progress has included gluing concrete troughing all over the layout and I have completed ballasting the shed area. I find ballasting strangely relaxing and feel very satisfied when you transform plain track into something (hopefully) resembling the real thing.

I have also fitted the Fuel unloading point and decided to add 2 fuel points for locos. These are the Bachmann scenecraft ones and I am pretty pleased with them though I am not sure if 2 fuel points would be found on a small shed !

I am going to add some more concrete as I want to add another shed next to the main running shed for repairs to my selection on RTC Stock (thus the second fuel point). I am debating whether to have a go at scratchbuilding / modifying (inspired by Temeraires running Shed on Exford) or using a single road Pikestuff shed. Decisions, decisions ...

A couple of pictures now...

Fuel Unloading before Ballasting

post-7486-126955577754_thumb.jpg

And after ballasting - still needs weathering.

post-7486-126955582323_thumb.jpg

General views of the Shed area with newly installed diesel fueling point

post-7486-12695558765_thumb.jpg

post-7486-126955590514_thumb.jpg

I also took a short video of my new steel train being hauled by Viking through the station centre road.

I originally tried to film Hartlepool Pipe Mill but managed to drive it off the layout (forgot to change the point!!!!!!!!!) and bust the bufferbeam on one end.

Look forward to any comments

Jeff

You have been busy Jeff, the steel coils lok good as does the ballasting. I have to admit to fiding ballasting relaxing too. Just as well really as I have so much to do..

The weathering is coming along nicely and as for the two fuel points, I don't see a problem with it, it doesn't look over crowded or anything.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Jeff, have to agree with previous posts the steel loads for your wagons do look really good. That is a nice length train 14 wagons, I bet that looks really good on your layout. A nice metals Grid would be just right up front!

Depot is really coming on, you have done a good job there. I look forward to seeing what you do with your second shed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Spent some time in the garage ballasting and extending the concrete area for the second shed I'm going to build.

I have used polyfilla to make the concrete and this is built as follows:

Check rails glued to inside of running rails. The area to be concreted is then battened out so I have an edge to fill up to (see picture below)

post-7486-127033143991_thumb.jpg

String is pushed in to the gap between the rails and taped at the ends

post-7486-12703314542_thumb.jpg

Polyfilla is then smoothed over the track - I use a pallette knife

post-7486-127033146114_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127033147532_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127033148546_thumb.jpg

I ran out of white, so used quick drying filler to complete the first covering. This is filled as close to level as possible and the I will sand with a sanding block and fill any depressions

post-7486-127033150042_thumb.jpg

I will take more pictures as I sand and fill the rest - may take a week or so !!

Finally I have nearly completed ballasting all the track and below is a view of the ballasting at the station throat with all the concrete cable troughing in place.

post-7486-127033151399_thumb.jpg

Look forward to receiving any comments

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

A couple of weeks have passed since my last update. As ever progress is slower than I would like, but I don't think I would be happy if it was finished ! Very confusing.

The concrete section is still not complete as I am at the sanding stage and I just don't feel like doing it (yet).

I have finally built the second platform and all the ballasting is largely complete - just 5 feet of main line to do ....

A couple of pictures of the new platform in position

post-7486-127177877795_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127177878591_thumb.jpg

I have also spent some time weathering more of my stock. Strange how I was always terrified of ruining rolling stock by weathering it badly. I am quite pleased with the results I have managed to get.

So far I have weathered rake of Cargowaggon vans, a rake of Silver bullets, a steel coil train (OBA, OCAs) and a number of VDA and pallet vans.

I have also completed a rake of BDA's and Cargowaggon flats that I have made steel girder loads for ... pics below

BDA's

post-7486-12717790194_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127177906224_thumb.jpg

BDA's on Buxstone with weathered Silver Bullets behind

post-7486-127177907785_thumb.jpg

And finally, weathered Pallet Vans

post-7486-127177909385_thumb.jpg

Look forward to any comments

Jeff

Thanks Lewis,

The BDA's are wetahered usingRailmatch enamel frame dirt aerosol cans. I spray the wagon and give it a good coating and then start to wipe off the paint using a baby wipe. Keep wiping until you have taken as much as you want off. It is really easy and took me about 20 miuntes to weather 6 wagons.

I take no credit for the method - I used the weathering guide provided by Hampshire Hog of Leaford fame. Details can be found at ....

It is on page 8 of the thread.

Regards

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Jeff there's no stopping you with the weathering now eh, but its all looking good though.

Weathering of a lot of my stock is something else on the list 'to do' at some point for me, although some of the locos need renumbering first as well! When Im not improving things on the layout the urge to play is higher than the need to renumber and weather unfortunately!wink.gif

A milestone has been reached!

All the track has now been ballasted. Finished ballasting the line through Platform 1. I have also painted both platforms ready for installation. Once they are glued and screwed down I can infill the ballst between platform and track and at both platform ends and bed them in.

A view of the final ballasted line - the one on the far right.

post-7486-127203524331_thumb.jpg

The platforms have been painted and disteressed. Just need to re-paint the white platform edges

post-7486-127203525657_thumb.jpg

I have also cracked on with the arduous job of sanding polyfilla to complete the conctered area that the small carriage shed will sit on. This will be a single track shed that is capable of holding 2 coaches. The idea behind it is a small shed to hold RTC stock for repair / maintenance. I have a small collection of RTC stock and 2 blue and red locos - Class 24 Experiment and Class 46 Ixion. Both are sound fitted. I am toying with the idea of getting a sound and light fitted 08 in RTC - IVOR. Funds as usual is the stumbling block ....

View of the sanded polyfilla concrete

post-7486-127203527413_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jeff

This is certainly a nice layout Jeff and thank you for the updates smile.gif

Call me thick if I have missed it I'm to busy looking at the photographs but are you using code 100 track and what is the actual size of the layout?

This is certainly a nice layout Jeff and thank you for the updates smile.gif

Call me thick if I have missed it I'm to busy looking at the photographs but are you using code 100 track and what is the actual size of the layout?

The track is all Code 100 and the overall layout dimensions are 17 feet by 8 feet. This is made up of three 5 feet by 3 feet scenic boards and all other boards 2 feet wide.

The smallest radius curve is equivalent to Radius 3 set track on the approaches to the fiddleyard.

Regards

Jeff

Archived