Buxstone

D9JEF

Rory,

The only extra sound loco I have is a Class 46 Ixion in RTC colours. I have funded this by selling a couple of sound 66's and a sound 57 that don't really fit my era. Next sound will probably be an 08 followed by my HST - not sure the wallet can cope just yet!

Stephen,

The cable trunking is from Ten Commandments. Excellent service and lots of useful bits.

Regards

Jeff

Disaster has struck !!!

I have built the two platforms and I thought all was well!

I have since tried to run a variety of my stock through and a number of wagons are catching on the platform edge. The worst culprits are Heljan Cargowaggons and Dapol Silver bullets.

I will have to rebuild that platform and reduce the width by 2mm. AARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Jeff

Disater has struck !!!

I have built the two platforms and I thoughtball was well!

I have since tried to run a variety of my stock through and a number of wagons are catching on the platform edge.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Jeff

oh yes, quite a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

First update for a while. Had a bit if a lull in modelling as my platform track needs 're-modelling' and I have not been in a place to do it so thought I would leave well alone for a while.

The platform is 2mm too wide so I have decided after much deliberation to rip up one track and then relay it at the correct distance - just a shame that I had ballasted it in...

It would have been ok if I didn't have any silver bullets or cargowaggons. Never mind!

Been in to the garage today and took a few pics of some of my newest stock and I thought I would post them as part of the update:

First one - Weathered Hornby Sound Fitted Class 31 in Railfreight Petroleum stands in the siding.

post-7486-127464485101_thumb.jpg

Ixion takes on dielsel at the fuel point. This is fitted with an Olivia's Sound chip and sounds superb. Still needs the lighting kit and a touch of weathering.

post-7486-127464486803_thumb.jpg

A personal favourite of mine - Heljan Class 47 500 Greta Western fitted with Olivia's sound chip.

(Apologies - the photo is not great)

post-7486-127464487785_thumb.jpg

Latest addition to Buxstone's fleet - Class 25 Tamworth Castle circa 1991 - just fits in to the era I model. I have a couple of 25's now - this one plus an Intercity liveried ETHEL

post-7486-127464488844_thumb.jpg

The era I model spreads from 1990-ish all the way to 2000 which lets me have Virgin 47's, Class 60's in Loadhaul / Mainline / 3TG. I also have 1 Class 57 - Purple Ronnie and really want to get hold of a Porterbrook liveried 47 and Deltic.

Regards

Jeff

Latest addition to Buxstone's fleet - Class 25 Tamworth Castle circa 1991 - just fits in to the era I model. I have a couple of 25's now - this one plus an Intercity liveried ETHEL

I've been meaning to ask someone this for a while but what is an ETHEL?

Great layout by the way.

I've been meaning to ask someone this for a while but what is an ETHEL?

Great layout by the way.

Electric Train Heat Ex locomotive

ETHEL

Regards

Jeff

Hello all,

A new arrival came in the post today in the shape of ltd edition Ely Cathedral in weathered Large Logo Blue. Seen here with a rake of Intercity Mk 2 air cons. I think the weathering is pretty well applied but needs a little more on the roof - particularly at the ends.

post-7486-127505876074_thumb.jpg

I have also spent some time ripping up the track where the wagons were catching on the platform. The plan is to complete remove all the track and ballast then re-set the platform at the correct distance from the running line. Once done I will then carefully measure and re-lay the final track. Fingers crossed the rolling stock won't catch this time. Strange how a setback like this can stop you from doing anything on the layout for a few weeks due to frustration ...

A couple of views of the lifted track ... GRRRR!!!

post-7486-12750591611_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127505917157_thumb.jpg

I have also spent some time completing the concrete pad area that the new carriage shed will be positioned on ...

post-7486-127505924352_thumb.jpg

The carriage shed will cover the track on the right all the way to the end and will be large enough to accommodate 2 coaches. I have been building a kit of a locomotive hoist which will be placed at the back of the loco shed. I still need to build the office block , maintenance walkways, and storage sheds to complete the depot. My aim is to have these partially hidden by the carriage and loco shed so you have to peer round the other buildings and give it a sense of being crowded.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Great Photos...

Love the RTC Class 46 and the GWR Green Class 47...

Do you have any more pics on these...

Great work and some great photos... Keep it up!

Jamie

Hi Jeff

Great Photos...

Love the RTC Class 46 and the GWR Green Class 47...

Do you have any more pics on these...

Great work and some great photos... Keep it up!

Jamie

Hi All,

I have taken a few pictures of some locos on Buxstone shed that have been stabled overnight! Strangely there were only Class 47's on shed today and I managed to catch 12 of them in a variety of liveries. On shed today were:

47500 Great Western GWR livery (Heljan)

47079 GJ Churchward GWR livery (Bachmann)

47535 University of Leicester Large Logo Blue (Bachmann)

47572 Ely Cathedral Large Logo Blue (Bachmann)

47474 Rowland Hill Parcels (Bachmann)

47476 Night Mail Parcels (Heljan)

47573 London Standard Original NSE (Bachmann)

47541 Queen Mother Intercity with Scotrail branding (Bachmann)

47211 Railfreight Grey (Heljan)

47361 Wilton Endeavour Railfreight Distribution (Heljan)

47826 Springburn Intercity Swallow (Heljan)

47145 Meriddin Emrys Tinsley Blue (Heljan)

post-7486-127560055036_thumb.jpg

I managed to get a pass and get a few close ups as well:

Great Western Green liveried 47's

post-7486-127560061543_thumb.jpg

post-7486-127560065854_thumb.jpg

The London Standard fresh from the paint shop:

post-7486-12756006783_thumb.jpg

Finally a view from my train home at the locos at the stop blocks. These are (from left to right) Wilton Endeavour, Ely Cathedral and Night Mail awaiting their next duties.

post-7486-127560084097_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

It has been a little while since I have touched Buxstone. Quick update for you. I have built an extra 6" to the fiddle yard which will extend the number of roads to 14 plus a few dead end sidings. Unfortunately I have been unlucky with the 3x2 I have been using which is warped and twisted so one of them will need rebuilding.

My son wanted to go and play with the sound fitted 47's I have so I cleaned the layout and set a track for him to run. Just to continue my bad luck theme, Queen Mother kept derailing on the same point - so another job I will have to attend to.

On the positive side my inactivity on the layout has allowed me to get lots of jobs done. So far I have built a signal box, overhead crane to go at the back of the depot and I alos have a pikestuff single road engine shed to build and kitbash. It will be long enough to hold 2 coaches and I plan to raise it up by adding a brick wall to the base of the shed. Pics to follow when I start it.

I have a day off on Tuesday and plan to spend it in the garage. I will take a few pics and pot then.

Regards

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All,

Not touched Buxstone for nearly 6 weeks!! The problem with Queen Mother derailing has been traced to a point that has raised up by 2mm when ballasting as ballast went under the point. The upside is the point and some track near the board join needs lifting and replacing. I have become a little bit disillusioned with a few little problems with the trackwork and this is the reason I have not ventured in to the garage to rectify the problems.

I never thought ballasting would cause these kinds of problems...

Hopefully I want to get back in the garage and resume with Buxstone. I have spent a lot of time planning and writing lists of jobs to do.... However, this doesn't actually get them done.

I look forward to updating with photos when I get some things done.

Regards

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi again Jeff

I know how you feel, I've had the odd dodgy bit of trackwork causing derailments now and again. There is nothing for it but take a deep breath and dive in and get it done, its worth it in the end and better to do it now than damage things later on when you've spent more time on the layout.

Best of luck and look forward to phots of the progress.

Jeff,

love this layout, makes me think about moving into my own garage!

I am thinking of adding a fuel point, like you have and wondered what the distance is between the two lengths of track, which the fuel point is sat between - if that makes sense?

thanks,

Dave

Jeff,

love this layout, makes me think about moving into my own garage!

I am thinking of adding a fuel point, like you have and wondered what the distance is between the two lengths of track, which the fuel point is sat between - if that makes sense?

thanks,

Dave

Thanks for the comments Dave, I will measure the distance and post tomorrow evening.

Regards

Jeff

Thanks for the comments Dave, I will measure the distance and post tomorrow evening.

Regards

Jeff

Dave,

The distance between the tracks for the fuel point is 5.5cm. I have attached a close up photo for you to see.

post-7486-128385654337_thumb.jpg

I have been to look at the problems of derailing over the point and taken a picture showing how a class 47 'rides up' and promptly derails:

post-7486-128385683859_thumb.jpg

I'm not actually sure how easy it will be to rectify as I am unsure how much track will need to be lifted. Has anyone else had problems with ballasted track and if so what is the easiest way of removing it, cleaning up and relaying so all is flat again????

Any suggestions greatly received!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I had to lift all the points on my Weoley Castle layout to make modifications to them. Only three were ballasted, but I managed to remove the points without affecting any adjacent trackwork.

I carefully slid the rail joiners all the way onto the adjoining pieces of flexitrack (you may have to remove a couple of chairs to do this) and then just lifted the points. If your rails are painted, it may take a bit of force to move the rail joiners, I used a small screwdriver, and had to gently tap it with a small hammer on some to break the paint's seal. Take great care as one slip can cause damage to the layout and yourself. When you relay the point the railjoiners can be slid back into place. I had to replace a couple of railjoiners, and it might be wise to do this anyway.

Hope this helps, Andy

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Before you rip it up:

You've only mentioned that QM derails, are your other locos okay over the point or is it the loco at fault?

Was the track glued/fixed down, if yes I don't see how the ballast got underneath?

Is there the possibility that the track has expanded with heat and/or the baseboard swollen with moisture ingress and forced itself up at this point?

If it needs lifting and you have used PVA soaking with warm water might soften things up. Alternately gradually slip a thin edge under and gently prise it up, maybe after cutting the track either side of the problems. Then clean away all traces of ballast from board and track and relay.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Welcome back to the slow moving saga that is Buxstone! Progress has been slowed massively by family life... I have an 18 month old son who requires loads of attention - not complaining as I absolutely love being a dad. I also have an 8 year old who loves football and tennis and I spend many an hour coaching his football team or watching him play tennis. Kids are fantastic.

However as a consequence of my time commitments, Buxstone has taken a back seat....

Something had to give ;-)

I have actually done some modelling over the last month and I have managed to extend the fiddleyard by 6 inches ( giving me 15 through roads ) and lifted the problem point that was causing all the derailments. The 2 points closest to it are being dug out of the ballast and I am hopeful of the track gang coming in and relaying the 'missing link' soon. I should have all track laid and ballasted then and will need to move on to completing the electrics (for electrics, read complete the point motors and associated contol panel) - all bits are bought, just need to complete / start! Guess which is more honest....... yup, start.

My current motivation is to weather my stock ready to take to the Wigan show in December and run it on Oulton TMD. Allan has extended it by another 5 feet and it should be even more fun to operate. Currently the stock I have I feel is good enough to run on the exhibition circuit is:

- A rake of Dapol Covered Steel Wagons

- A rake of OCA / OBA opens with Steel Loads

- A rake of Heljan Cargowaggons

- BDA's with steel loads

- 97201 - Experiment

- D7670 Tamworth Castle

- 47541 Queen Mother

A long way to go to match Allans stock.

I have been spendig some time weathering other stock using the fabulous guide produced by Kevin of Leaford Park. I have attached a couple of pics of 37 410 Aluminium 100 that I have just completed - snowploughs and bufferbeam detail to finish. Hope you like it

post-7486-032494000 1286747589_thumb.jpg

post-7486-032494000 1286747589_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jeff

post-7486-001399500 1286747603_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Spent some more time weathering locos. I am starting on my DCC sound fitted fleet first.

I am toying with the idea of splashing out on an airbrush but I'm quite happy using brushes, cotton buds dipped in thinner and baby wipes at the moment.

A few pics of the 3 I have completed so far:

37410 Aluminium 100

post-7486-044954400 1287695293_thumb.jpg

37057 Viking

post-7486-090353300 1287695304_thumb.jpg

47211 - A favourite loco of mine as it was the first one I ever sound chipped.

post-7486-064187900 1287695316_thumb.jpg

A 'cruel' front view of 47211

post-7486-093333300 1287695323_thumb.jpg

All 3 lined up showing the front view

post-7486-044862000 1287695343_thumb.jpg

Finally the roof weathering

post-7486-012453500 1287695362_thumb.jpg

I would love to hear any comments and ideas how I could improve them - obviously I need to fit the buffer beam detail and coupling wire - only another 80 to go!!!!

Thanks

Jeff

Archived