Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete. The two sidings front left, is there any reason why they are so short as even if you only pop a couple of locos in them, they may look better extended the full length of the platform roads. That way, you could position stock in them too (e.g. Parcels vans) which would provide more justification for the loco stabling. If you didn't want locos and the like sat in them to obscure the view of the station, you could rust up 2/3 of their length and model them as part-abandoned.

I may be talking out of my nipsy and missing something; if so, please ignore me :)

• Like 2

Peter, as Andy says, good questions and no I don't mind at all. In fact I haven't really explained what's going where and what I want to achieve with this layout.

The top line on the plan isn't the only platform road. This will be Platform 1 (non-electrified) and will look like it has no physical connection to the rest of the layout. That's entirely intentional and I'm picturing the odd DMU arrival off of the West London line and maybe a Crompton and a couple of Mk1s, picture the "Kenny Belle" shuttle from Kensington Olympia to Clapham Junction, although I won't be able to run-round.

The next two lines down will be Platforms 2 & 3, 3rd rail, served by EMUs and either platform able to act as a headshunt for the depot.

The scenic break is the road bridge and then the backscene will screen the fiddle yard and allow the depot roads to be on view. If I have 12ft of layout to play with, I've never liked "6ft scenic, 6ft hidden", always preferring to have something to look at along the whole layout length when viewed from the front.

There will be a single road loco shed up tight against the backscene, and this will also conceal a hidden entry/exit point to the fiddle yard, so technically I will have the ability to run-round if the need arises.

The two lines at the bottom right of the plan are inspired by the approach to Selhurst New Shed (see pic below). They will end in a low-relief EMU shed, but the option is always there to add an extra board and turn the layout into an L shape if it ever gets exhibited. EMUs will then be able to go through the shed doors to an extra fiddle yard arranged at 90 degrees to the main boards. That's a possibility, not a certainty.

This is definitely a layout for EMUs with little consideration for freight, but as Jason mentioned, extending one or both of the loco sidings would allow the storage of some condemned stock or a rake of vans, as well as a loco or two between duties.

I'm not entirely sure I've explained that very well. If I get a chance I'll knock out a track plan with all the various elements marked on it... I just need to pin the track out full-size to see if it works or not.

post-17811-0-92969700-1446199573.jpg

© Copyright Roger Templeman and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 5

Hi Pete. The two sidings front left, is there any reason why they are so short as even if you only pop a couple of locos in them, they may look better extended the full length of the platform roads. That way, you could position stock in them too (e.g. Parcels vans) which would provide more justification for the loco stabling. If you didn't want locos and the like sat in them to obscure the view of the station, you could rust up 2/3 of their length and model them as part-abandoned.

I may be talking out of my nipsy and missing something; if so, please ignore me :)

Not a bad idea at all Jason. When I was at Norwood circa 1983, we had a couple of short loco sidings and you could usually find a pair of Cromptons, an ED and a 09 sitting there so that's the look I was aiming for. There's no reason at all not to extend at least one of them because the plan, as it is now, makes no provision for any kind of freight and that might be a mistake.

These were mine on Deesdale Road, used for stock and Locos...

That's what I had in mind Andy. Too many EMUs are bad for you. Just the odd wagon or two at the front edge of the layout for a bit of variety.

• Like 2

How about P1 back at a slight angle.

That's the look I was going for originally. I thought it would make Platform 1 look completely disconnected from everything else (see plan in Post #1) and as though this line arrived on a completely different alignment. Time to grab some flex track and some pins...

• Like 2

Hi Pete, as an admirer of your work on Croydon North Street and West Croydon, I am looking forward to seeing your new project. I have no doubt that it will be finished fairly soon by the speed at which you work!

Excellent work on the boards! Up to the usual standard.

Now will we be seeing one of the forthcoming Dapol 73s at Wandsworth Park?!!!

• RMweb Gold

These were mine on Deesdale Road, used for stock and Locos

attachicon.gifDSCF1010.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1031.jpg

attachicon.gifStafford 2015 31st Jan 1st Feb 160.JPG

WHOOPS

attachicon.gifDSCF1153.jpg

Peter

Apologies for the hijack  but seeing Deesdale Road as it was  5 years ago reminded me of the changes.  The wreck was set up as a special picture at the Roundhouse and still looks great.

Looking through your area layouts I am also reminded of the 'Merton Dasher' - the Wimbledon-West Croydon line that was so useful in school days.

A further comment on dowelling - Deesdale Road has some on the latest extension and it has made lining  track up so much easier but ... I also have a single bolt again to make sure it does not fall on the floor when undoing.

Cheers, Peter BB

• Like 1

A little messing around with the loose track has produced the following which certainly has a nice "flow" to it. Straight lines are so "last year"! Gone is the odd little "kink" leading off the single slip into Platform 2. Gone is the siding at the very front of the original plan intended as a dump for condemned stock. Gone also are the loco sidings, replaced by one long siding that can serve for both freight stock and the odd loco or two. That leaves 3 platforms, 2 of which can be used as a headshunt from the depot. It certainly doesn't look as cluttered but I do hope getting rid of the loco sidings isn't a mistake.

The one thing that isn't going to change now is the main block of pointwork on the centre board, so a job for the weekend will be to mark out, cut slots for point motors and fit feeds and insulated joiners etc. The pointwork can then be fixed permanently. I may then get the fiddle yard storage roads fixed in place using the Peco Streamline. All flex track on view will be a mix of Exactoscale wooden sleeper bases with bullhead rail and concrete sleeper bases with flatbottom rail, so that will take some time to make up.

post-17811-0-80043300-1446215039.jpg

post-17811-0-83284900-1446215040.jpg

post-17811-0-85255900-1446215041.jpg

Finally a quick shot showing a mock-up of the scenic break. I will get round to drawing up a plan showing everything in place.

post-17811-0-18202800-1446215043.jpg

• Like 14

I have no doubt that it will be finished fairly soon by the speed at which you work!

Now will we be seeing one of the forthcoming Dapol 73s at Wandsworth Park?!!!

I think I might take a bit more time with this one... North Street was 4 months from bare boards to finished!

Dapol 73? Oh yeah. If it ever arrives...

Hi Pete,

The scenic break make it's easier to understand. I wasn't sure about all the pointwork but it's part of the fiddleyard. 

I am wondering if you could add a point and still have a two road loco stabling point come fuel point as the layout is looking less cluttered. Otherwise looking good.

A few pic for some inspiration.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-76231600-1446248685_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-97778400-1446248997_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

The scenic break make it's easier to understand. I wasn't sure about all the pointwork but it's part of the fiddleyard. 

I am wondering if you could add a point and still have a two road loco stabling point come fuel point as the layout is looking less cluttered. Otherwise looking good.

Hi Peter. Yes, a lot of the pointwork is hidden as part of the fiddle yard. I think I do need to get a loco siding back into the equation somehow. I'm also tempted to have the line into Platform 1 climb a little from where it emerges under the road bridge. Think Farringdon Thameslink. Just a few steps up from one platform to another. The justification for the subtle height change could be that this line continued on somewhere.

Nice shot of 33062. Formerly an Eastleigh loco, it transferred briefly to Stewarts Lane back in the 80s before withdrawal. I'm 99% sure that as a secondman at Norwood depot, this was the loco that we managed to derail whilst putting together a ballast train in Three Bridges yard one Saturday night. The driver and I retired to the BRSA club for a pint or two and it had been rerailed within a couple of hours. Job cancelled, taxi home. Happy days.

As promised, a basic plan marked out to show what's what. There reaches a point where you have to start laying track and I think I've reached that point. The plan works full-size and features everything I wanted, so best crack on.

Unless I've missed something...

post-17811-0-86052300-1446283625_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Pete,

That's a great looking plan, I think you have it about right now. 

I don't remember seeing 33062 as much as some of the others and I think you are right in that it was withdrawn quite early on in the 80's.

Not sure I know a railwayman that's not come off the road at some point. I worked at Eastleigh Depot for a while as a shunter and came of the road on night with a 47/7, it was only the front set of wheels  but did cause a few problems.

Another couple of  Crompton pics for you.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-50318700-1446286548_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-54635600-1446286595_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Always enjoy your Croydon-based layouts, Pete. This is no exception. Course with sufficient space you could always model the Selhurst depot in full... and the LB/Victoria lines over and undering for E & W Croydon... or perhaps not :O

Mal

Thanks Mal. Z gauge in the spare room? Wife might veto that one... Might? Who am I kidding...? :jester:

I will end up with a little bit of Selhurst at Wandsworth Park. The EMU shed will be based on Selhurst New Shed complete with red stripes up the sides and over the roof. Built a little later than the 70s, I know, but it can be a little bit of modeller's license.

• Like 1

Can someone who knows more than me about wiring (that'll be all of you, then...) put my mind at rest about wiring up the electrofrog single slip?

As supplied, there are 4 soldered feeds. I'm assuming the outer two (marked as "1" and "2") are track feeds that connect direct to the DCC bus wires and the remaining two feeds are for frog polarity?

post-17811-0-60572000-1446301827.jpg

Edit: Sorted. I was being an eejit. The outer two are stock rail feeds. Saves soldering dropper wires.

Edited by Pete 75C

As promised, a basic plan marked out to show what's what. There reaches a point where you have to start laying track and I think I've reached that point. The plan works full-size and features everything I wanted, so best crack on.

Unless I've missed something...

attachicon.gifwandsworth_park_final.jpg

why don't you make it more like Clapham Junction with the Platform Arrangement? Have Platform 1 at the back and 2/3 as an island.

That was the original plan, Matthew. However, since spreading the track out full-size, something about it just didn't look right, so I came to the arrangement shown above. Never say never though! I'll wire up and fix down the pointwork, but the platform arrangement may change.

A day of tracklaying planned for today. Endless marking out and drilling holes for point motors, droppers and frog feeds. Hardly exciting but hey, only needs to be done once.

There was one thing that was bugging me. When laying the Tillig pointwork with Exactoscale concrete bases on the West Croydon layout, happily, there was zero height difference at rail joints. Both Tillig and Exactoscale use Code 82 flatbottom rail and the sleeper bases by happy coincidence were identical in height. On Wandsworth Park, I've gone back to using Peco Code 75 points (flatbottom) with a mix of Exactoscale wooden sleeper bases (Code 75 bullhead) and concrete sleeper bases (Code 82 flatbottom) and I was expecting a bit of a nightmare with rail height at the joints. My fault for trying to combine different standards. Luckily, there's not much of an issue. I've used Tillig fishplates as I have loads left over and they're a much smaller profile and neater looking than the Peco joiners.

The first picture shows a Code 75 point joined to Code 75 bullhead, and the second picture shows the same Code 75 point joined to Code 82 flatbottom. There is the tiniest "step up" but I'm not going to worry about it. Running the unpowered half of a Hornby 2BIL over the joint, there's no jump or wobble. In fact, it all looks pretty perfect. I could get all bogged down with shims and using pliers to slightly manipulate the fishplates but being a lazy modeller, I don't think I'll bother!

post-17811-0-38974800-1446370251.jpg

post-17811-0-38136900-1446370252.jpg

• Like 6