If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

I know it's outside your timeframe but think of all that lovely NSE stuff it can run alongside...

Tempting. More than, in fact. I just have this 1970s thing going on at the moment so I don't want to paint all the station furniture red! I also don't want to date the layout any earlier than 1970 as I'll have to go out and buy a kettle. Shoot me if I ever do that...

My kinda kettle. I have nothing against ke... steam engines... I just don't know anything about them. A bit like women... they're a total mystery.

• Like 2

Kettles are very much like women.......hot,steamy and temperamental ....

The women where you are must be different to the ones down here, I've not come across any that could be discribe as hot or steamy, fiery and temperamental yes.

Running the risk of derailing this thread completely... after living in Essex for 8 years, don't forget the cheap brightly coloured plastic ones. Kettles, of course... :mosking:

Finally finished the inclined track into Platform 1. This is Mk3. The first one was too steep and the second was so shallow it was hardly noticeable! Platform 1 will sit just under a scale 4ft higher than everything else. Why? Because I like it, I just can't think of a single prototypical excuse.

What about Gospel Oak - adjacent separate platform for the Barking line, and a walk up the slope between the platforms for the North London  line and the Barking platform.

Thanks for that. Nice to know that different platform levels exist in real life, even if the reason isn't always apparent. I had Farringdon in mind, but I particularly like Gospel Oak. Looking at the image (below), the difference in height between the platforms looks pretty similar to what I'm trying to achieve.

post-17811-0-21048000-1449162089.jpg

© Copyright David Kemp and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

• Like 2

I've just finished wiring up and it's most definitely beer o'clock. Over 100m of wire which for a simple end-to-end layout staggers me somewhat. All 15 point motors are fitted and tested and four frog juicers (2 x hex, 1 x dual & 1 x mono) have been used. I'll grab a picture or two tomorrow but frankly, the quicker I can turn the boards back right way up, the better! I still need to make up the control panel, but that has been simplified (I hope) by using a couple of 25 pin D connectors.

• Like 3

100m ! Is that DCC or not.

My next layout will be more finescale, I'll actually venture into the world of electro frogs and juicers I think

DCC Rob. Just "two wires to the track" as I remember the Hornby Zero One advert telling me circa 1980... right.

I guess in retrospect, 100m isn't too outrageous. For a twelve foot long layout, just the two bus wires equal 8m. I really don't know what I'm doing so the frog juicers, although pricey, save a lot of work. It probably all looks worse than it actually is... I'd just better not lose that wiring diagram.

• Like 1

Yeah the two wires was a bit of fiction.

I just wire each section to a bus bar, had no problems with insulfrog points, to date.

Keep up the good work

..... And of course all my points are operated by push rods so that knocks a lot of wiring out !

I just wire each section to a bus bar, had no problems with insulfrog points, to date.

And of course all my points are operated by push rods so that knocks a lot of wiring out !

I don't have any issue with Insulfrog and would have been happy to use them to keep things simple. You read that short wheelbase locos don't like them etc, but I wouldn't have been particularly worried. Apart from the slips, all Peco Code 75 is electrofrog only, so that was what really made the decision for me. Frog juicers coming onto the scene have just simplified things for me and removed a potential headache. Probably 50% of the wiring is accounted for by the frog feeds and the point motor wiring so yes, it certainly could have been less "messy" under the boards.

With each layout that I wire up, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't getting a little easier each time but the truth of the matter is that (unlike Ian!) it's not a part of the hobby that I get enjoyment from... I still see wiring as very much a chore and just a means to an end. I'm much happier building a platform or painting brickwork!

• Like 2

Well that's my last code 100 plank I'm doing, hoping to use something better next time. But as I hope to have snow coverage it probably won't matter much !

Strangely the Bachmann 08 has never stuttered on the frogs - the worst offenders I've found are Hornby 31s that seem to short circuit on the frog reasonably often - must be something to do with the wheel arrangement

I've just finished wiring up and it's most definitely beer o'clock. Over 100m of wire which for a simple end-to-end layout staggers me somewhat. All 15 point motors are fitted and tested and four frog juicers (2 x hex, 1 x dual & 1 x mono) have been used. I'll grab a picture or two tomorrow but frankly, the quicker I can turn the boards back right way up, the better! I still need to make up the control panel, but that has been simplified (I hope) by using a couple of 25 pin D connectors.

Believe me, you will be glad that you put the effort in. It just might take a while .....

• Like 1

It all makes sense to me. Sort of...

post-17811-0-25427000-1449232409.jpg

post-17811-0-67960700-1449232412.jpg

post-17811-0-70061900-1449232414.jpg

I was looking forward to doing something that I enjoy now, but I forgot about the control panel...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Looks sorta neat to me,Pete.

Anent older times, don't forget the South Eastern was the first BR Division to abolish steam, in 1961, I think. Thus ELs in pure green without the custard dip would be ok, but no need to invoke 'kettles'.

Anent older times, don't forget the South Eastern was the first BR Division to abolish steam, in 1961, I think. Thus ELs in pure green without the custard dip would be ok, but no need to invoke 'kettles'.

I think re: steam, it's simply a case of "unfamiliarity breeds indifference". I must try harder to like them! If I'm flexible with the timeframe, something might appear on the layout, although I haven't a clue what.

Lovely stuff

I wouldn't go that far. You really do like wiring, don't you? Strange.

:jester: