Point Motors for beginners

SirStanierFan6229

This was my worry with moving the crossovers: There would be no less than three sets of 'dead frog' points per track, which could compromise the running of some of the small 0-4-0s, even though the main loops will generally have 4-6-0s or bigger running over them, and perhaps make point operation a little confusing at times. Nevertheless, I agree that if I were running DCC or using better track (which, alas, will not be the case) I would consider the revised plan more carefully. Also, just thought I'd point out, I don't have any children yet (and won't be considering having any for a good ten years or more!) - it was my younger siblings who I mentioned!

Er, whoops! Sorry! Anyhow, all things considered, perhaps you may want to retain your original plan and choose the form of remote point operation for the crossovers that suits you best. Personally, I would not go for a mechanical method (wire in tube etc) over that distance, so your choice would be cheap and simple solenoid motors with a capacitor discharge unit to operate them, or go for Tortoise or Cobalt motors from the off. I would go for the latter, as you will find them useful later on as your hobby develops, but that depends on your budget of course.

The number of frogs in each circuit is the same regardless of where the crossovers are in the circuit. 

Going live frog using streamline small radius is perfectly feasible, the right hand crossover could be moved to the curve at the right using one (or possibly two) curved points to make a bit more space.

Might I suggest reversing the direction of the sidings off the inner loop? That way you would be reversing trains into the sidings which means the locos wouldn't be trapped, and it's also in accordance with how sidings would be laid on the real thing.

As regards moving the crossovers, if you're concerned about locos stalling on the points, that's probably all the more reason to move them to the front, because if a loco stalls at the back, you're going to have to reach across the layout to give it a push. Having plain track at the back would also allow the possibility of hiding the back stretch behind a row of (removable) low-relief buildings so that the trains are hidden for part of their journey so it appears they're actually going somewhere!

Personally I haven't had much trouble with small locos stalling on PECO Insulfrog points (avoid the Hornby ones with the horrible big plastic frogs). The only place we've really had issues with one was the one at the foot of the incline on my father's layout where the combination of a frog followed by the change in gradient could cause stalling.

PECO Streamline (and I think even Setrack) points are long enough that an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 shouldn't find itself with two wheels sat on different frogs simultaneously,leastwise not on the same side of the loco (it's possible that a loco might straddle two frogs of a crossover simultaneously but as they'd be on opposite sides of the loco, that's not quite such a big problem.

Might I suggest reversing the direction of the sidings off the inner loop? That way you would be reversing trains into the sidings which means the locos wouldn't be trapped, and it's also in accordance with how sidings would be laid on the real thing.

As regards moving the crossovers, if you're concerned about locos stalling on the points, that's probably all the more reason to move them to the front, because if a loco stalls at the back, you're going to have to reach across the layout to give it a push. Having plain track at the back would also allow the possibility of hiding the back stretch behind a row of (removable) low-relief buildings so that the trains are hidden for part of their journey so it appears they're actually going somewhere!

Personally I haven't had much trouble with small locos stalling on PECO Insulfrog points (avoid the Hornby ones with the horrible big plastic frogs). The only place we've really had issues with one was the one at the foot of the incline on my father's layout where the combination of a frog followed by the change in gradient could cause stalling.

PECO Streamline (and I think even Setrack) points are long enough that an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 shouldn't find itself with two wheels sat on different frogs simultaneously,leastwise not on the same side of the loco (it's possible that a loco might straddle two frogs of a crossover simultaneously but as they'd be on opposite sides of the loco, that's not quite such a big problem.

That's a very good point (if so blindingly obvious, I couldn't see it), and will be done on the final layout... Sorry everyone, but point motors are, for the moment at least, off the shopping list!

My Lima 09 used to stall on streamline short radius pointwork when running slowly.

Looking back, I believe resetting the back-to-backs correctly may have helped.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I would just point out that post 3 URL is incorrect.  It is www.brian-lambert.co.uk    My Electrical page 1 deals with most of the basic point motor wiring.   :O

Hi Brian,

Have seen your website and now I have seen you on the web I will go onto it to see if it sorts me out.  The problem I have is 'taking over' some wired and part wired point motors with all the wires the same colour and am trying to work out which wires go where.  Hopefully your site will explain.

Cheers, Peter BB

Hi Brian,

Have seen your website and now I have seen you on the web I will go onto it to see if it sorts me out.  The problem I have is 'taking over' some wired and part wired point motors with all the wires the same colour and am trying to work out which wires go where.  Hopefully your site will explain.

Cheers, Peter BB

Hi Peter

Assuming they are solenoid point motors you have, what make and model of point motor are they?  Seep PMx range, Hornby Surface R8243 or the under point R8014 , Peco PL10 under point or PL11 surface? 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter

Assuming they are solenoid point motors you have, what make and model of point motor are they?  Seep PMx range, Hornby Surface R8243 or the under point R8014 , Peco PL10 under point or PL11 surface? 

Brian,

Thanks for your reply.  I was looking for an enhanced picture of a point motor to work out what I should do - previously I have only worked with Seep which are clearly marked.  The points in question look like Hornby - no idea of the actual model - and, hopefully, I have worked out which connections were made to which points this morning.  There are paired sets and as I see it by connecting them up and throwing them I will find out if these interlock appropriately ... if not then I will change one pair of connections on one point.  If all goes well I will then make up a control console.

On another note your website has a lot of information so thanks again, cheers, Peter BB

Archived