'Cambrian Street'

BobM

4 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Hi Bob,

Great to see you posting again, I hope you are well my friend? I second the recommendation for a Peco LK-55, just got one into my shop. (I part own a model shop now!), having not been able to get them from Peco for quite a while, it is a very nice kit and quite simple to setup, and as Phil says, Peco do a motorising kit as well.

Gary

Hi

Thank you for your kind words my friend, much appreciated, I am 'back in the frame' now and looking forward to rejoining the modelling clan.

Great news that you're into the model shop now as a business venture, how exciting!

When we are through this terrible scenario we find ourselves in at the moment, I do intend to spend a few days down in the Eastbourne area again, combining a trip on the Bluebell and a visit to your shop.

I am minded to use the Peco turntable on Cambrian Street for peace of mind and ease of installation, probably be after Christmas now before I get back into full modelling 'swing'.

You take care my friend, thanks again

Regards always

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Firstly it's great to have you back posting Bob. I would go with the Airfix/Dapol kit first mate. That way you ain't throwing money away first off. The kit is really easy to build and if you can't get it working how you want it has cost you very little and you haven't had to cut a hole in the base board. Then if you don't like it and/or you can't get it working (there are motorising kits available), you can shell out for a Peco one and motor kit. As others have said it's fairly easy to install and get working. Give me a day or so and I'll have a look in my stock as I think I have an Airfix one I can send you. I might even have two as it happens as I was going to  build it upside down as a well type. 

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great to see you back posting Bob, compliments of the season to you.

I agree wholeheartedly with what lezz has said. The Dapol one s surface mounted. I even thought about doing one and having a manual mechanism where you physically turn a handle to move it. It's less complicated and actually adds to the realism I feel. Let's face it, back in the period your railway is set, that was the way to turn a locomotive. 

For the price of the kit, its a bit of guilt free experimentation without the worries of damaging or destroying something expensive. If it doesn't work the peco is worth a shot. You might even be able to detail it with parts from the Dapol kit to then give it more of a gwr feel. 

All the very best to you, 

Great to see you back. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you Lez and all my dear friends, I am greatly touched by your kind support and encouragement, I do like the surface mounted turntable idea as it is more in keeping with my time period and abilities, so will more than probably trend towards this....

307a23ae23607b9da17504294c139722.jpg.a6462f16ba812d0cc1ed23a6084b496a.jpg

baf58045c7ab93678855df87bff5494c.jpg.e7a16626302700bcd378bf2ddffef5ec.jpg

Copyrights as shown throughout

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Hi

I do have 'busted up' old Dapol that I have as a positioning feature a looks okay do you think?

IMG_0181.JPG.06e530e6ac6fc46664af62fce23510fc.JPG

ban_1963_4_13_4701_600_360_72.jpg.d6d4ac3873ea37ad3b25f00064091c88.jpg

Copyright Steve Banks

Positioning will undoubtedly alter but the general theme remains?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, BobM said:

Thank you Lez and all my dear friends, I am greatly touched by your kind support and encouragement, I do like the surface mounted turntable idea as it is more in keeping with my time period and abilities, so will more than probably trend towards this....

307a23ae23607b9da17504294c139722.jpg.a6462f16ba812d0cc1ed23a6084b496a.jpg

baf58045c7ab93678855df87bff5494c.jpg.e7a16626302700bcd378bf2ddffef5ec.jpg

Copyrights as shown throughout

Regards always

Bob

Hi

Just musing how some of these turntables were just dug into the earth,  whilst other were 'bricked'?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening guys,

Hope all are well?

Just musing and running an idea past you for comments on its potential to adapt the MPD for the better, so please do advise either way.....?

Having marked to position of the base for the Dapol  turntable, have rejigged the position to a remoter spot.

Using the 'freed' space to create a larger coaling and watering road, with space for empty coal wagon storage too.

Will investigate too whether there's room for coaling stage?

What do you think guys, the turntable would be easier to install here and I could insert a manual driven method to turn the deck?

Does leave an area for perhaps another road off the turntable?

IMG_0183a.jpg.cfa7c6c94a9be00e5bb24765d6fae29b.jpg

IMG_0186.JPG.b24fee9864e937c71e58560c97f85e24.JPG IMG_0187a.jpg.0098212a1402e8e3313cbcbd6a182e00.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi

On the question of coaling, what length of ramp would be involved to obtain a suitable angle?

Unsure which turntable position option to plump for just yet?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening....

Now forgive me for being thick......but....

In any of the turntable scenarios I am contemplating and I am just using this image as part of my question to you good guys.....I understand that the rails off the turntable will have to be raised slightly to meet the height and marry  with the deck track, but what I cannot get my head around is how the straight edge of the platform (circled) will not collide with rails as it rotates, because it is a straight edge and not curved to match the rotation?

IMG_0181.JPGa.JPG.2e273669bfdf36384f4832f258b6d3c1.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Here another web image showing the same as mine?

Maybe it's me?

12003-800x800.jpg.bdeeefbce60c030299031888e49ba49e.jpg

Could leave the deck straight, minus the winder and have manual push type and slightly extend the rails?

A customer of mine, who is disposing of some of his layout says he has a motorised Peco turntable if I want it for nothing...?

Having a think about that one?

If I choose my second option as a position, this would fit.

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

11 hours ago, Harlequin said:

There's a video of one in operation on YouTube. His solution: Rails hanging over the end of the deck. 

Not very realistic.

Hi

Yes can see now that the deck rails project right out over the bricked 'tread' circle, where the operating guys would push, this where my thinking is incorrect perhaps?

The extended rails then marrying up to the exit road.

As you say though not ideal.

Bob 

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Is the Dapol kit really intended to be a working device or a static model? The ends are square when they need to be sectors and are the wheels and the rail plastic or metal? Metal bearings?

The Peco turntable seems like a better option if you want it to actually work - but it is a bit big...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Is the Dapol kit really intended to be a working device or a static model? The ends are square when they need to be sectors and are the wheels and the rail plastic? Metal bearings?

The Peco turntable seems like a better option if you want it to actually work - but it is a bit big...

Hi Phil....

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Dapol is a bit 'flimsy' and yes more suited to be a static display.

My only hesitations of using Peco was the commitment of the initial hole cutting and its size. However as I am being offered a Peco 'motorised freebie' I may just take the plunge!

As I don't have a jigsaw, my plan is to mark out the circle into which the pit sits, drill holes around the inner line and cut then through the holes to make the hole.

Would this work?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, BobM said:

Hi Phil....

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Dapol is a bit 'flimsy' and yes more likely to be a static display.

My only hesitations of using Peco was the commitment of the initial hole cutting and its size. However as I am being offered a Peco 'motorised freebie' I may just take the plunge!

As I don't have a jigsaw, my plan is to mark out the circle into which the pit sits, drill holes around the inner line and cut then through the holes to make the hole.

Would this work?

Regards

Bob

Yes, that should work fine. It might be a bit tedious but some things just are!

(I hope there aren't any supports underneath!)

5 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

There would be in the first option, the more remote site is clear beneath thankfully, keep the neighbours amused with drilling anyway! :lol:

The motor I believe is the older version, but I could perhaps update to the new type?

Bob

Edited by BobM

11 hours ago, Harlequin said:

There is, I've discovered, one cross piece that may have to be slightly cut into to accommodate the pit, but hoping it'll remain as a strengthener, at least its not a support leg!

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Well Bob it's good you're going with the Peco TT as I can't find the Airfix kits I have in stock. I know that they're there somewhere I just don't know where and so far I've drawn a blank. Sorry about that mate. I'll probably find them when I'm looking for something else.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1