'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening All.....

Have made some cosmetic filling in the girder, which is being allowed to set over before smoothing down....also under taken some preparatory work to the roadway of 'Borth Road Bridge' which  is intended to be granite set surfaced and may or may not have a footway?

IMG_0233.JPG.a89b116645c7b3f7ffb49d6bf498332b.JPG  IMG_0234.JPG.889106d0c7cfef1a1762728490236c61.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG.f970bb659e9da8c1681a60d242fb3269.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Afternoon all,

All well?

Thinking along the lines that the road bridge would look better with some 'footway' on either side, so the plan is to have a paved 3' scale width 'slabbed' path? 

Does this sound plausible?

The 'big debate' is however the colour scheme for the girder turntable, as my loose time period is late 50's - early 60's do I go for straight forward two tone grey, or a throw back, to add a bit of colour to the area, a GWR dark and light stone? 

I am favouring the grey tones as shown below.

unnamed.jpg.d1c2d02c7dbd777a1afcf251d14db69e.jpg 122079512_unnamed(2).jpg.d7b3d879f2f22c2825596b9217cf8011.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi Guys

I think the colour options for my turntable lie within this section of RMWeb.....?

Machynlleth turntable appears from the limited images I can see to be an overall grey.....?

The following taken off the above pages (Didcot) a weathered light grey-cream with darker grey structure...?

4227038834_4f499d0f40_b.jpg.bdbc2603142474fa21e5572c6e86f60a.jpg 5358604198_f187dee841_b.jpg.949f7e5bf173ffc6f46d67971862cc83.jpg

5358674630_0c88400a9f_b.jpg.40bbe6e389cd289e40ea536483db998c.jpg

Food for thought on the colour scheme

and another possibility....would it be wrong (or mad of me, given my past history) to attempt to perhaps, adding the additional supports beneath the turntable for effect, or where these only features on ground (non-pit) type turntables?

gwrbsh1188.jpg.442fdf0ae6d3adb52a6773c8a8107fb7.jpg

(copyright of Warwickshire Railways)

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Happy new year Bob! 

As for the turntable I'd go for grey. Personal preference of course but the area etc and the cambrian in general I think grey would be what I'd go for. No room for a turntable on my cambrian based layout but if I had.... It'd be grey. 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

HAPPY NEW YEAR....!

image.jpeg.1f710ebb0415e7e4a3704978e0bbee26.jpeg

Here goes guys...another year ahead of hopefully brighter times and modelling, best wishes to all as always.

Have made a start on painting up the turntable......by 'sleeper griming' the deck.......painting over the black plastic looking surface in the first image has certainly made a difference already...?

IMG_0242.JPG.c750098353eb915551d11eb473909626.JPG     IMG_0243.JPG.66f7258f84e506f5537899b806876fc0.JPG 

Regards always

Bob

• Like 7

Afternoon Guys......

When I was studying A level art in the 6th form and I was staring at a rather large and daunting  stark, bright, blank white canvas standing on the easel in front of me, I always brought mind the sound words from the first teacher I ever had the pleasure of being taught by...who said 'Bobby boy....just get rid of it'!

He taught me to apply a light wash coat of brown earth to rid oneself of that starkness and you were away!

So...apply that thought,,,,I have taken off the flat, raw plastic grey base of the turntable with a light grey wash to which further tones can be applied to build up a rather 'distressed and aging' metalwork.

Have purposely kept it light grey at this stage......

IMG_0244.JPG.bf9abd81695e91585095c3a96a40f4aa.JPG  IMG_0245.JPG.cfb510507813165690dedfedf442138e.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

Hi...

Planning next to apply, a (still light) darker grey tone to where I want to have the highlighted metal framework...?

Regards always

Bob

Knowing that I am a gardener, a friend has sent me this, who must be trying to tell me something, made me smile though!

1916733374_2022-103(1).jpg.5991c15b31520687d0709fa7c8b625a5.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

Evening Guys.....

Hopefully have made the correct steps here, choosing the 'grey option' is I believe paying off...?

Applied a light, dry brush mid-tone of thinned down 'grey green' to the lighter grey base colour, allowing this to dry prior to a darker tone and possibly a bit of brown and streaky rusty colour?

IMG_0263.JPG.5791430e5e60d4fcff694523033c875b.JPG  IMG_0269.JPG.e0772f8ba223138697349fc4adfaec16.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG.8f63f1017dc199e137297c2ab49b8063.JPG

Regards always

Bob

• Like 7

Hi

Going have a go at initially painting up the turning girders beneath the deck next, planning to have a dark grey tone and oily steel mix, as I would imagine this' area would be a very 'distressed' section?

Any ideas guys?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening guys.....

Have painted (what I'll term as the carriage) lower section of the remaining grey plastic in a base Humbrol Matt 173 track colour (originally I was intending to use oil steel, but when stirring this it was obviously the wrong), which when dry will be dry brushed with a grey......will post further when (progress hopefully) is completed?

The upper girders will be darkened further.

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

The (in shot) mug is just for you Gary!

IMG_0284.JPG.7fe5394abeab554daef54fb29a490910.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would just weather it with rust and dark grey/black powders mixed together Bob. I do like that track colour it  has the look of ancient rust about it.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I would just weather it with rust and dark grey/black powders mixed together Bob. I do like that track colour it  has the look of ancient rust about it.

Regards Lez. 

Hi

Thanks Lez I do have some smoke and dark weathering powders so will give them a go on the 'lighter' upper girders too, as I presume the finish won't be so 'heavy' as a coat of paint and can be undertaken lightly at first and in stages to see the developing effect?

Regards always, please stay safe...

Bob

Edited by BobM

12 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez. 

Hi

Must be an ageing thing but I cannot recall in the past what you've recommended to 'fix' the weathering powders to the surface?

I have Humbrol matt varnish (matt 49), which rings a bell?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi

Hopefully the very poor room light for this imaging, won't detract what I am attempting to convey?

Have applied dark earth and smoke weathering powders to the first four panels, only slowly doing this as I don't want to overdo the effect of muck and some developing rust, what antique folks would term as patina?

These have yet to be 'fixed'?

Any good?

IMG_0326.JPG.81a74243157d01d8df3d38f3f32c7388.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Guys

Before I plough ahead and do something I am unsure of attempting, please could I ask a question.

I only have Humbrol Matt29 clear varnish , which I will have to be applied via a brush to fix the applied weathering powders, is this going to be troublesome, or should I obtain a suitable spray product which you guys could recommend please?

Regards always

Bob

Hi Bob, I have never used one that's to be brushed on. Personally I use humbrol matt varnish in an aerosol can. Haven't got any complaints but I would recommend spraying at a decent distance as otherwise you will get a speckled effect. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, 380John said:

Hi Bob, I have never used one that's to be brushed on. Personally I use humbrol matt varnish in an aerosol can. Haven't got any complaints but I would recommend spraying at a decent distance as otherwise you will get a speckled effect. 

Cheers, 

John 

Hi....

Thanks John...

When I have used weathering powders previously on the granite set surface of the goods, I didn't used any fixer as it was just a flat, static non operational display, obtaining the effect, by wiping off and reapplying a few times until it became 'ingrained' in the surface colour and didn't wipe off, but this piece may require a different approach, hence my hesitancy?

Two thoughts I had were....

If I am applying this with a brush, will it move the powders around?

Can I lightly 'stipple' the varnish?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

My honest answer is that I don't know. But after using powders and knowing that they can be washed off, I'd imagine that the chances of moving the powder around would be quite high. Stippling might remove the powder and stick it to the brush rather than the model surface. I may be wrong but would definitely try a test piece. I'm interested to know the answer myself but my instinct tells me that I'd probably spray it rather than brush it. 

John