'Cambrian Street'

BobM

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Well Bob it's good you're going with the Peco TT as I can't find the Airfix kits I have in stock. I know that they're there somewhere I just don't know where and so far I've drawn a blank. Sorry about that mate. I'll probably find them when I'm looking for something else.

Regards Lez. 

HI Pal,

Thank you for your kindness in looking, although the Airfix one is perhaps a  'nicer' looking piece, the Peco will be fine.

Regards always

Bob                    

Hi Guys,

As always I'll post images as I go along, it'll be an 'adventure', if I take things steadily and 'think' as I go, I should be okay?

Regards to all,

Bob

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

DA7FB246-16E7-4FAA-917A-0893F51A92D2.jpeg.b584653653297ee69c7c8e54b6f117b4.jpeg

Sending all you good guys my very best wishes to you and all your family for Christmas, also thanking you for the guidance, support and above all friendship you've extended to me throughout the year, this has been so greatly appreciated.

Regards always BOB

(This light train is hanging on my garage door and currently illuminating  driveway too!)

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Happy Boxing Day Guys. Hope it's been a good one for all...?

With Boxing Day being a rare day when there's nothing for me to do but 'veg' for a change, decided with some trepidation to take the plunge and install the Peco turntable pit!

Not having a circular saw, (which even if I had one available would have been rather awkward to use in the confined space), I set about drilling a series of holes within the inner ring outlined with a marker pen and then set about the task of cutting through the remaining pieces to remove the ring of baseboard.

This task given my limited abilities, was labourious, noisy and the end product also a little clumsy, unprofessional and thoroughly messy! 

Given a bit of filing and sanding though the edges of the hole were smoothed, also given that the pit slips in neatly, firmly and the flange hides all the rough bits from, sight - what the eye doesn't need to see won't hurt anyone (but for me).....

This is what the turntable are looks like this evening.....so happy with a Boxing Day on Cambrian Street - back at the nursery as usual form now on, so the past two day Christmas break was very much apprciated.

Will post images of what I hope will be further progress on this area as it happens.

It;s in now anyway, next decision is after wiring the deck up, whether to get it working electrically, install a manual crank device or leave for now to 'the hand of God'?

Regards always guys,

Bob

IMG_0195.JPG.bb1548c3c6d16ab2f9b2ddaeea7b2963.JPG IMG_0196.JPG.9b46a13be408cde15362f8090833c4c4.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG.4c9f0545578628dfe1283d6b580aaf05.JPG IMG_0199.JPG.78799e9e1f7ed4844eb649f60d1544b1.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, BobM said:

Happy Boxing Day Guys. Hope it's been a good one for all...?

With Boxing Day being a rare day when there's nothing for me to do but 'veg' for a change, decided with some trepidation to take the plunge and install the Peco turntable pit!

Not having a circular saw, (which even if I had one available would have been rather awkward to use in the confined space), I set about drilling a series of holes within the inner ring outlined with a marker pen and then set about the task of cutting through the remaining pieces to remove the ring of baseboard.

This task given my limited abilities, was labourious, noisy and the end product also a little clumsy, unprofessional and thoroughly messy! 

Given a bit of filing and sanding though the edges of the hole were smoothed, also given that the pit slips in neatly, firmly and the flange hides all the rough bits from, sight - what the eye doesn't need to see won't hurt anyone (but for me).....

This is what the turntable are looks like this evening.....so happy with a Boxing Day on Cambrian Street - back at the nursery as usual form now on, so the past two day Christmas break was very much apprciated.

Will post images of what I hope will be further progress on this area as it happens.

It;s in now anyway, next decision is after wiring the deck up, whether to get it working electrically, install a manual crank device or leave for now to 'the hand of God'?

Regards always guys,

Bob

IMG_0195.JPG.bb1548c3c6d16ab2f9b2ddaeea7b2963.JPG IMG_0196.JPG.9b46a13be408cde15362f8090833c4c4.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG.4c9f0545578628dfe1283d6b580aaf05.JPG IMG_0199.JPG.78799e9e1f7ed4844eb649f60d1544b1.JPG

Morning All......

Thanks for the kind comments, has anyone seen an example where the handrail of the supplied Peco turntable has been replaced with the Dapol girder sides. Would that work?

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM

26 minutes ago, BobM said:

Morning All......

Thanks for the kind comments, has anyone seen an example where the handrail of the supplied Peco turntable has been replaced with the Dapol girder sides. Would that work?

Regards always,

Bob

Further to above have seen this 'hybrid' as 'inspiration' but may be 'outside' my abilities?

However, 'nothing ventured' and all that, may just have a go?

I have sadly broken a section of the Peco handrail so, is 'someone' trying to tell me something?

post-243-0-44669300-1320177412_thumb.jpg.99d5edd8f1b2b6126d305e104f15d08a.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi

I have removed the girders from the Dapol decking, but I am looking at the Peco deck now and pondering do I, or do I not do this?

I know am only removing the hand rails, which are broken anyway, but I am dead scared to make that next step in case I foul up.

Regards always

Bob

IMG_0202.JPG.cff89250b48e2de3ec83c81c179927a8.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

I'd give it a go Bob. What really do you have to lose? - broken hand rails. To me they look over scale anyway. Just check the Dapol sides are long enough, don't foul anything etc etc. If you fit them (maybe use blue tack to see first) and don't like them, then remove them and make some new handrails. That wouldn't be difficult with styrene etc. Even then, I'd be tempted to modify railings off something else or another kit etc and use those instead. 

John 

Edited by 380John
Autocorrect!
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

This is just for illustration of ideas, using sticky fixers, this is the deeper girder which is to replace the metal handrail, I will need to cut the ends to accommodate the wheels of the deck? 

In your opinion guys am I going off beam here trying to adapt this, should I leave well alone?

Regards always

Bob

IMG_0203.JPG.d6c9e0e6e14b44a6f0b4fb9797fa6d65.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Here are the adapted Dapol girders, glued together and drying......

Given the busted up and broken state of the handrails, they may have to be removed any rate...to leave a flat deck?

IMG_0205.JPG.fc3e6003cc710b101dbb36c825626b7d.JPG

I have lightly offered the Dapol girders against the deck and they 'appear to be the same length'...I must think through how the ends will be wrapped around the wheels thoroughly.

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi

Having white tacked these to the outside of the rails....

I can see that the white bits have got to come off as it's not only far too high......

As built, if lowered to accommodate the wheels the girder ends will collide with the pit rims....

If the rails come off - without the white extra girder it may just sit (with a bit of packing underneath) on the deck?

Will remove the white first and see what it looks like?

Hopefully this still 'has legs'...?

IMG_0206.JPG.e10fc3821428f51bcd1b3837cbf93dcc.JPG IMG_0208.JPG.44d99ebbdb0e3ae55fad150e122503b6.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG.923d99185a1cd24c9c41a21b673a7f95.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi....

There's no way I could have slept on this....so if you'll pardon the expression ..    ' they're off'...!

Removed the depth of the extra white girder, here the Dapol sides have  simply been white tacked to the rails here....?

IMG_0210.JPG.94afbe6372f04945615164d28e416077.JPG IMG_0211.JPG.fca9242c1ba8c72eea950b5d6a2d1140.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG.d6a7be9d1810f9033f930be9baf7976d.JPG

With a bit of tweaking - I could live with this instead of the rails, could you good guys too...?

A better overall height and (for my purposes) a fair representation perhaps?

Now will sleep on it...!

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

Evening Guys....

All I trust are okay.....?

Have removed the supplied Peco handrail, attached the Dapol girder sides and will allow to set overnight.

Will then need to fill some of the gaps I've created to make it fit but will take it steadily and contented as it stands at the moment as a basis to carry forwards.

Any comments.....?

Regards always 

Bob

IMG_0214.JPG.66e6b69593fbbc9ee3e7cc6bda9b0d4b.JPG   IMG_0217.JPG.1204ac4dfbfc9f680fac2da772ecc717.JPG 

IMG_0219.JPG.52fb75a41e1287aded6612a2bb50e3e6.JPG  IMG_0223.JPG.5d7a2951601423b83a47fa08318cb853.JPG  

IMG_0231 (2).JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

Looks great Bob. Definitely worth the effort. Just the sort of look you were after and full functionality. Just goes to show what a bit of kit bashing can do and only 1 page ago you were unsure (understandably) of taking the "leap" but this serves as a lesson to all of us. "nothing ventured.... Nothing gained". Well done, you should be chuffed with it. 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, 380John said:

Looks great Bob. Definitely worth the effort. Just the sort of look you were after and full functionality. Just goes to show what a bit of kit bashing can do and only 1 page ago you were unsure (understandably) of taking the "leap" but this serves as a lesson to all of us. "nothing ventured.... Nothing gained". Well done, you should be chuffed with it. 

John 

Thanks John for your kind words of support......

I need to think things through perhaps to a greater extent in the future as although I feel once I am underway I can do things, but the finesse is still lacking and certain things look 'rough' and i have to revisit to tidy all the time?

I am happy with this as it does give the theme of a girder turntable I wished, perhaps not prototypical but good enough for me and my 'bedroom layout'.

Will post gain when further work is done on this, looking to initially install a mechanical 'Meccano' device to turn it, more 'fun' that way.

Whether I can retro fit it I'll have a think thorough, before I blunder into it.

Regards always

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1