The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Warren Mitchell has died today.

Market65

I loved that tv show; even though it is un-PC these days to admit it, to naive folk who have yet to wake up to that it was satirical and only mirrored the thousands of bigots with exactly the same views, who really did exist.

Warren Mitchell for me played the part perfectly, although my favourite was the dead-pan sarcasm of Dandy Nicholls which matched Mitchell's ranting and raving.

I like the part in the obituary where he was not allowed to play Tiny Tim aged 5 in the primary school performance of A Christmas Carol, because his Jewish grandmother did not want him eating Christmas Pudding which had suet in it.

Thanks for some great entertainment, Warren Mitchell. Character actors of your quality don't come around very often.

• RMweb Premium

One of my favourite stories about him:

He recalled an exchange with a fellow Tottenham fan who had come up to congratulate him on "having a go" at immigrants. "Actually," Mitchell tersely replied, "we're having a go at idiots like you."

Lovely.

• RMweb Premium

If it was like the All in the Family American adaptation, there were 3 groups of reactions to it:

"That shouldn't be allowed on television."

"That's really funny -- there are people like that."

"By George, he's got that right!"

Archived