RMW "Layout & Track Design" - all change............

halsey

I'm not so sure!  The 'dead-end' turntable looks like an accident waiting to happen, to me.  Perhaps you could start the curve into the turntable, so that it is already pointing towards the sidings in the 'rest' position?

Very rough sketch:

post-19820-0-89849200-1455207611.gif

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Typical - I post 2 options and the consensus is already developing to do a 3rd (i.e. something between the 2) - I'll have a play with the reality over the weekend but although I get the point and the run to the TT is doable but I think the curves after the TT might just be a stretch too far.

I'll look forward to David's input at 2am!

BFN

• Like 1

You could always put a wall or fence around the turntable where it is near the baseboard edge.  A few 2" nails with the heads filed off and drilled to take strands of N/S wire bashed into the baseboard supports makes a good solid Gordon proof restraint.

One advantage the modeller has over 305mm / ft is that our locos have infinitely variable control.  Gordon with his stiff pull out regulator,restricted cut off and slow acting brakes  (Did he have steam brakes or was it Vacuum?) would have had problems stopping in the right place to balance the table.   Was Gordon 2 cylinder like the RHDR locos? And was the tender a group standard 4200 gallon?  It is very hard to tell from nearholmers picture.

• RMweb Gold

"Dead End" it its then

See attached mock up - the "raised" section is 6mm ply which gives me a sacrificial BB topping and thereby makes the TT easier to recess without permanent damage to main BB.

I will disguise the two visible edges with a wall/hedge in due course and only have one TT feed track to lift with a very gentle gradient to marry up with the TT.

The shed environment will all be on the same level - not prototypical it but makes good sense for me.

Good news - I finally got a superb Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2 Loco deal via eBay - not cheap but truly NEW (old shop stock) - this will be my last one for a while BUT it has restored my faith.

Cheers all once again - have a good weekend.

post-27634-0-25461900-1455294985_thumb.jpg

DCB

Credit where credit I'd due. I think it is probably Reginald Dalby's picture; I definitely can't draw or paint that well. http://www.sodor-island.net/rsartists.html

As to Gordon's technical specification, if you ferret about on the web, I think that you will find that, like all the early engines, he was based on a model that ran on Rev Awdry's layout, so probably a three pole Reidpath, permanent magnet motor, or something of that ilk, rather than any number of cylinders.

(The fence thing is, of course the right idea)

Kevin

Edit: well, it appears that Gordon was, in fact, a Rovex's Princess, chopped-about and matched with a W&H tender, and he is preserved at Tywyn! http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/gordon.htm

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

More help please.......................... what can I use to permanently and rigidly fix Peco (track sleepers) to my Dapol (polystyrene) turntable base - David has come up with a suggestion but is there a glue that will work?

I have written to both tech depts.

I need to fix each product directly to one another for reasons of height so I can't use an intermediate enabling surface.

Cheers.

J

Or, forget glue, and go for a mechanical fastening of some kind.

Drill through sleepers and deck, and use 12BA NBWs?

Drill through sleepers and deck and use brass pins, clenched over underneath?

Insert a walkway of thin brass sheet between the sleepers along the length of the deck, with that fastened to the deck using12 BA NBWs?

Get rid of the sleepers, solder the rails to a sheet of copper clad, gapped for insulation, then proceed as above?

All are possibilities.

K

• RMweb Gold

Problem solved -

Pecos latest reply sheds light on it -

"Our Setrack track base uses a styrene type plastic so can be glued using a styrene solvent type adhesive. Our Streamline track however uses a polythene type plastic which cannot be glued. If you have any questions please phone us on 01297 21542 ext 261."

I was experimenting with a spare sleeper from my streamline track! 

My thanks to David as I have bought a short section of rigid setrack for the TT so that is what I will use and it will stick.

re Kevins solutions - all good but as yet I haven't ventured into the realms of copper/brass and soldering - perhaps that's next winters project!

BFN

• RMweb Premium

I'm just amazed the damn thing doesn't come with track fitted.  Something else to remember for the last great project.  Surely turntables don't normally feature sleepered track though?

I'm just amazed the damn thing doesn't come with track fitted. Something else to remember for the last great project. Surely turntables don't normally feature sleepered track though?

It would no doubt have the wrong size rails, spaced the wrong distance apart, and would create headaches for those who want to alter the length.

Not sure what proportion of purchasers would have those problems though.

• RMweb Gold

TT in situ KIT not completed but it all works EXCEPT FOR my first stupid mistake - I have wired all the shed tracks in common so although they all work - they aren't isolated one from another!

5 on/off switches now ordered - a 5 position rotary switch felt a bit beyond me!

Good job all my wire lengths are substantially oversized - an adopted standard philosophy which has stood me in good stead so far.

post-27634-0-08121400-1455728064_thumb.jpg

Edited by halsey
  • Like 2