Hornby announce the LMS/BR 20 Ton Coke Wagon

Garethp8873

in order to light it they had a gas poker which they lit and inserted into the coke in the grate until it got going,

Nowadays, H&S would have a fit at the thought of one of these 'light sabres' being wafted around the living room spewing forth flames.

Brian R

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Will any of the Private Owner ones appear?

Mark Saunders

Be interesting to see that especially after me seeing the 'STANTON' 8863 example on P.133 of the tenth volume of Private Owner Wagons by K. Turton this evening... I wouldn't complain on that livery!! :)

This is the Appleby Frodingham (Scunthorpe) version from BRCW, there were two versions of the lettering as per their Iron Ore Hoppers!

These were all pooled during the in September 1939 at outbreak of war and became BR P series wagons after and survived in this livery till they were eventually repainted/renumbered!

Mark Saunders

post-3578-0-28075500-1465549507.jpg

• Like 1

This is the Appleby Frodingham (Scunthorpe) version from BRCW, there were two versions of the lettering as per their Iron Ore Hoppers!

These were all pooled during the in September 1939 at outbreak of war and became BR P series wagons after and survived in this livery till they were eventually repainted/renumbered!

Mark Saunders

attachicon.gifaf coke lr.jpg

......... by which time they wouldn't have been a very attractive advert for Steel Plates !

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely be buying some of these - Pleasing to see how Hornby wagon chassis & brake gear has improved over last few years compared with how it used to be. I am Intrigued that as per prototype pictures the Dia 1529 Cattle correctly has tiebars and 8 shoe braking whilst Dia 1530 correctly has 8 shoe and no tiebars - I am no expert (getting excuses in early !!) In my ignorance I had thought  that tiebars were generally limited to 4 shoe wagons, how common is it for 8 shoe wagons to have tiebars - is there an imbalance in the braking forces that necessitates tiebars for 8 shoe braking on Dia 1529 or was it a just in case ?

What Is/will be the resale price of a Three Aitch kit after Christmas?

Mark

The price is probably plunging at this very moment ......... a bit like the £ after Brexit .......................................

I'm intrigued by the diecast underframe : how on earth are they going to attach the axleguards firmly yet flexibly - so they can spring the wheels in - without compromising the see-though look of the chassis ? ................. presumably it'll be some sort of Clever Design !!?!

The price is probably plunging at this very moment ......... a bit like the £ after Brexit .......................................

I'm intrigued by the diecast underframe : how on earth are they going to attach the axleguards firmly yet flexibly - so they can spring the wheels in - without compromising the see-though look of the chassis ? ................. presumably it'll be some sort of Clever Design !!?!

Hornby Dublo/Wrenn were half way there with their 21t hopper chassis, a diecast chassis but only lacking the open frames! The wheels were in separate inserts that pushed in!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Dublo/Wrenn were half way there with their 21t hopper chassis, a diecast chassis but only lacking the open frames! The wheels were in separate inserts that pushed in!

Mark Saunders

When I saw that they were using die-cast frames I did have a 'Back to the Dublo Future' moment. 

Relatively light cast sections, so I suspect the underframe will safely deflect enough - at least once! -  for axle insertion, especially using a jig before the body goes on. But if it is too stiff then formed dimples in what is probably a phosphor bronze sheet to take pinpoints - as used by Bachmann on their MU's which collect current off the split axle ends -  is another possible solution. Since Hornby's new suite of manufacturers now incorporate features previously only seen on Bachmann models, such a development seems quite possible.

What Is/will be the resale price of a Three Aitch kit after Christmas?

Are we about to learn just how many have been sitting in the Round Tuit pile since the late 1970s?

Nowadays, H&S would have a fit at the thought of one of these 'light sabres' being wafted around the living room spewing forth flames...

The first domestic grate with which I became familiar had the 'gas poker' integral with the front casting. The only fun you could have with that was opening the gas tap, and delaying ignition somewhat to obtain a satisfactory fireball effect. That came to an end the day I really went for it and got the chimney pretty full of a gas/air mix: it burned with a most impressive 'organ pipe' accompaniment. (Much like the howling noise of a soot fire in a chimney.)

• RMweb Premium

Are we about to learn just how many have been sitting in the Round Tuit pile since the late 1970s?

Given the Three Aitch habit of short-shot sprues, probably not a whole number. Still, it was a decent kit and would have been even better, and a lot easier to build, if they'd included the rest of the underframe. Now about to be thoroughly eclipsed by a Hornby rtr model though - who'd have believed that in 1978?

Nowadays, H&S would have a fit at the thought of one of these 'light sabres' being wafted around the living room spewing forth flames.

Brian R

My 'light sabre' has been safely retired ......................................................... for the summer - but it'll be spewing forth flames ( hopefully once only ) when winter comes. ( Don't tell H.&.S. ! )

Given the Three Aitch habit of short-shot sprues, probably not a whole number. Still, it was a decent kit and would have been even better, and a lot easier to build, if they'd included the rest of the underframe.

Interesting. This was the 3H OO kit I never attempted as the subject was then (and remains so now) essentially out of area for my modelling zone. Never any such trouble with the many examples I purchased of the 3H LNE general merchandise opens and vans and the underframe kits, or the LMS opens.

In the 1960s my grandparents lived in a council house in Exeter with an open coke fire,

in order to light it they had a gas poker which they lit and inserted into the coke in the grate until it got going,

cheers.

In 1964 we moved into a newly built house that had two bayonet type gas outlets, one by the coke fired boiler and one by the lounge fire. On advice from the builders, dad bought two gas fire lighters, one was the poker type, for the boiler and the other was a long horizontal bar, with a 90 degree bend at each end to form two legs and with a handle and flexible gas pipe at the middle, formed a tripod type stand that could be pushed under the grate. The bar had holes along it for the gas to burn. Over the years the metal in the igniter bar weakened and some of the holes joined together. Dad was frugal and what did it matter if you had fantail flames. The coke boiler had a flu up the kitchen wall, which cracked. Dad filled the crack with fireplace cement, but after every 6 months the crack would re-open and be refilled. When we had the solid fuel coke boiler replaced by gas, the son of the plumber asked if he could take the old flu pipe to his plumbing college, when asked why, he replied to show them how close we came to being asphyxiated

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. This was the 3H OO kit I never attempted as the subject was then (and remains so now) essentially out of area for my modelling zone. Never any such trouble with the many examples I purchased of the 3H LNE general merchandise opens and vans and the underframe kits, or the LMS opens.

Hoppers are tricky anyway and this one was similar to the Parkside 21 tonner: hopper as a single moulding with sides and ends separate, leading to a lot of long butt joints between flat sections. The real pain however was that the underframe included only the solebars, end platforms and headstocks, which made it fairly flimsy until mated with the body. Mine was very flimsy indeed as I mistakenly left out the end platforms, thinking they were mounts for tension lock couplers only (I was going through a period of 3-links). It still exists, though I wouldn't want to subject it to any kind of drawbar pull.

In other respects it is a typical Three Aitch kit - accurate and well detailed. I'd agree about the others in the range too.

Simple design by the look of it. W irons, Tie bars, V hangers and lever hooks look to be one plastic moulding, fixed to the rear of the solebar.

Brake Shoes (at the correct 1 in 20 inclination by the looks of it) look a like they'll be a doddle to space out, off the hopper bottoms if your going to a more realistic gauge.

The design of self centering for the coupling pockets mus be decades old but for those not converting to 3 link, it works.

Pic Nicked from the Hornby Website. I'm sure they'll not mind.

post-508-0-80847300-1468870542_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I see from the Hornby announcement that they are making quite a big deal that the cattle wagon and the coke hopper will have split-spoke wheels. I've had a quick trawl through my books and I can't find any examples with split spoke wheels - and I would not really expect new-build prototypes of this vintage to have any type of spoked wheel. Or am i looking in the wrong places?

Edit - except of course by looking through books, I'd ignored the actual examples on the Hornby announcement... Honestly, you can't get the staff, can you? Please feel free to ignore this nonsense now...

Edited by Zero Gravitas

I see from the Hornby announcement that they are making quite a big deal that the cattle wagon and the coke hopper will have split-spoke wheels. I've had a quick trawl through my books and I can't find any examples with split spoke wheels - and I would not really expect new-build prototypes of this vintage to have any type of spoked wheel. Or am i looking in the wrong places?

Edit - except of course by looking through books, I'd ignored the actual examples on the Hornby announcement... Honestly, you can't get the staff, can you? Please feel free to ignore this nonsense now...

Split spoke wheels seem to have been used on ( some ) new build wagons into B.R. days though I'd guess they would have been second hand/refurbished as disc wheels would have been cheaper to produce once the technology was developed in the 20's. The Southern rarely used split spoke wheels on new construction - as opposed to their innumerable 'rebuilds' - so maybe they were thought to give a smoother ride to the cattle ........ the 'northern' Companies, on the other hand, seem to have been quite happy to use disc or split spoke as available. Swindon, of course, had to be different and always used 'solid' spoke wheels before changing to disc.

• RMweb Gold

Wibblycostadelshaw could be using dozens of these? Eh Mike?

I know someone who makes metal kits of them, far superior to thick, lumpen plastic where it should be sheet steel. Also doing variations to boot.

So in answer to your original question, I will be having none of these!

Mike.

(Supporter of the cottage industry)

(Supporter of the cottage industry)

As am I, but now having a surplus of steel carrying vehicles in the strategic reserve cupboard and said small supplier not doing a version of the one (or possibly two) coke hoppers I need, I'll be happy to take a couple of Hornby's.

post-508-0-91964800-1468931321.jpg

I'll also feel much happier taking a saw to Hornby's version than one of Ian's masterpieces.

You might be supporting a cottage industry by buying from Hornby if they keep on their current financial spiral. :mocking_mini:

P

Ps has anyone told you the weather is unusually balmy in ol Blighty. (at the moment).

Edited by Porcy Mane