Hornby announce the LMS/BR 20 Ton Coke Wagon

Garethp8873

If you look further they are also doing diag 151 with a solid end

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/br-20-ton-coke-wagon-3-3.html

A few weeks ago they requested an internal photo so,  hopefully, the interior doors will be accurate.

History of the BR Cokes at Larkin, David & Mann, Trevor (1983a) 20ton standard Coke Hopper Wagons.  Model Railway Constructor vol. 50 (part 592) pp 478 - 483.

Drawings - Coke wood raves diag. 1/150 , Coke steel raves diag. 1/151 ; Coke all steel sides diag. 1/152 .

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcoke

Paul

Now that people are starting modification to other options, seen in the excellent 1/152 above, I wonder if we actually know which 1/151's had wood raves rather than steel ones.

My recollection, from researching and building a couple of brass examples in 7mm, was that the 1/150's were as the LMS type, wooden raves all round. The 1/151's had full steel ends and metal side raves, and the 1/152's full metal sheet all round (as above).

Pictures make it difficult to see if the 1/151 examples are metal or steel raved. Some appear as wood, with what looks like grain apparent, some are just grubby, and others look painted - therefore not wood? A wander through Paul Bartlett's pictures make this apparent, and I wonder if anyone has a definitive answer. It might be that some metal raves were replaced with wood, in the hope that this would be more resilient in the face of chemical attack from the coke. For us as modellers, I wonder if the metal raves were simply sheet, or if it had a lip top and bottom, which would affect the appearance particularly from outside.

Another thing that struck me going through Paul's archive is that the vac pipes required holes in the lower triangular side supports for the pipe to pass through. Some of the shots show only one or two of these supports to have holes (no pipe present) an indication perhaps these had also been replaced after a few years.

John.

Retford: Thrumpton Crossing 1963.  Colour view that might be of help for weathering?:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/2483150209/in/dateposted/

Great shot which shows different variants, and also that they were not always covered in rust! Modelling the mid/late '50s, I have to remember that at this time many of these wagons , and the 16T minerals, were new, and so could still have a relatively light coating of weathering/rust, most unlike the 1970-80s.

I also find the 'raw' wood raves on the Hornby models a little jarring. Certainly Paul Bartlett has photo examples of them unpainted later in life, but the picture above would seem to have all parts of the wagons in a uniform grey, which certainly fits in with my (now distant) memories.

I have about 18 assorted other Cokes to do, I may leave the odd one in 'raw' wood, most will receive wagon colour.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C. 

Edit: Another thing about the photo is the height of the load! Has anybody any thoughts on what would make a good model substitute for coke?

Edited by 45568

• RMweb Gold

Edit: Another thing about the photo is the height of the load! Has anybody any thoughts on what would make a good model substitute for coke?

Used I think in flower arranging and other related hobbies, lava rock is my weapon of choice, it can be bought small but will probably still need to be ground down a bit more. I've just used 20 bags of the big stuff to make a soakaway under a new garden area, but not all of it made it to the outside!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This may sound like a stupid question, but wouldn't some of the coke have fallen out through the gaps between the planks at the top?

Yes, a fair amount used to litter the trackside at Orgreaves coking plant, but once it had settled it "locked" itself in place and was fairly stable.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These photos have ben mentioned in the thread so I though I'd post them here in case they are any use for livery details - though I'm not sure about the accuracy of the image colours.

post-5613-0-59544300-1488358194_thumb.jpg

Toton LMS 4F up freight June 64 J151

post-5613-0-47698100-1488358200_thumb.jpg

Stanton Gate 4F 44113 down empties July 52 J005

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Might be helpful to some.

If the solebar door closing hooks get broken, it's a bit of a faff to bend new ones.

I've found in my local model shop, (in Alicante, but bear with me), in the ship detailing section, some eyescrews which are 0.5mm diameter brass wire with a 1.5mm hole, which to my eyes would do nicely.

The manufacturers name is Artesania Latina SA and the item number is 8603..Although based in Spain I would imagine these are widely used by the ship modelling fraternity and might be available in the UK, or maybe a similkar product.

They don't seem to have a website, but their email is "artesanialatina@artesanialatina.net" if you're minded to pursue a stockist.

Mike.

I've found in my local model shop, (in Alicante, but bear with me), in the ship detailing section, some eyescrews which are 0.5mm diameter brass wire with a 1.5mm hole, which to my eyes would do nicely.

So you'll be bringing a packet to Wakefield for me????

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Followed the path of others to produce some 1/152 coke hoppers... plasticard overlays over whole side outside, over raves inside. Transfers including Pensnett branding from @cctransuk of this parish - thanks again John. Varying degrees of weathering....

1.152 coke hoppers.jpeg

Pensnett coke hopper.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1