Dapol Black Label Range

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

A quick vid from one of the running samples seen at Warley today.

31276740695_0ba818a0d1_b.jpg042 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

I'm looking forward to receiving mine in due course, though speaking with Andy from Dapol he indicated that if this initial batch were successful then BR versions would also be produced.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 1

My final video from Warley, featuring the Dapol Stand, during the National Model Railway Exhibition 2016.
As well as demonstrations, on display was a large number of up and coming and prototypes, in N, 00 and 0 Guage, including the up and coming GWR Streamlined Railcars, BR Class 121 and 122, Class 59, plus the up and coming class 68's.
There was also a running sample of the eagerly anticipated Dapol Black Label Gresley A4 Pacifics.
Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUm9R5zFNg

I've been interested in the whistle too, and I've watched the models carefully in person when the whistle sound effect is going on - I've yet to see anything myself to be honest. The sound plays and then the normal chuffing of the chimney begins. Once or twice I've seen a faint wisp of the smoke when the whistle effect plays, but nothing too obvious

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, there was me thinking I'd receive my reserved loco in the new year.

But it would appear the BL locos have landed as I received a package ten minutes ago. Just going to make a cuppa and have a look..

Cheers

Peter

• RMweb Gold

So cup in hand I've had a look and very nice too. I ordered the Bittern Garter Blue type.

31784032075_e8672a5c8e_k.jpg038 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

manual and user guide and certificate

30942791934_9e28609f36_k.jpg039 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

What you get inside:

31784022875_eb8b77620e_k.jpg040 by Pedro Hill, on Flickr

I'm not in a position to test run it yet as I've dismantled my layout in view of a house move in the NY. But will certainly test it on my test track over Christmas.

Regards

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 6

Shame a lot of the close ups of the Loco were blurred. Impossible to see the actual shape of the Locos body from the video, Cabsides still appear quite thick as do the cab doors (all one piece?) . Washout plugs are still again heavy in appearance. Fixed roof vents ? Rivets oversize.

Comparing to the Current Hornby version the only improvement I can see is the Fairing over the Tender water filler (only used on A4's for the first few weeks) and the Rubber Cover between the Loco and Tender.  Steam looked fair, sound I find all versions of such the most annoying thing ever. 

Very little appears to have changed since the first prototype Locos shown on earlier pages.

Would I buy ? No. You can get two or even three Hornby A4's plus change for the same money.

Edited by micklner

Would I buy ? No. You can get two or even three Hornby A4's plus change for the same money.

But enough HAVE bought it (not including me) to mean Dapol should have money to invest in the next project.

For that we all should be very grateful.

Les

who deliberately made his headshunt JUST long enough to take a K1 to prevent him buying lots of lovely Pacifics for a shunting plank.........

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

I remember seeing these at Warley, can someone please post a profile view of a production model? I'm not 100% convinced the sloping front looked quite right personally. I think Hornby got it very well with their latest tooling. I'm just not convinced about this one.

I remember seeing these at Warley, can someone please post a profile view of a production model? I'm not 100% convinced the sloping front looked quite right personally. I think Hornby got it very well with their latest tooling. I'm just not convinced about this one.

Do you want it the same as Silver Link or the later ones? 

Silver Link was hand made by eye, then they made the wooden templates for the rest afterwards......

Les

I read the same, that Silverlink was built while the plans and templates were drawn up. I'm assuming any measurements would be taken from the production drawings and/or measurements from the survivors. Ideally I'd like to see when of the later versions.

Alright, the seperate trailing truck I get, but an extra driving wheel?  Is the middle driver flange less or is something going to go horribly wrong at some point with these ala LMS Garratt?  Personally I see why people have bought them (the smoke, light features and sound ad up for a very unique model, even by most DCC models in recent years), but is it really better then the Hornby A4 aside from a load of gimmicks?

• RMweb Gold

Alright, the seperate trailing truck I get, but an extra driving wheel?  Is the middle driver flange less or is something going to go horribly wrong at some point with these ala LMS Garratt?  Personally I see why people have bought them (the smoke, light features and sound ad up for a very unique model, even by most DCC models in recent years), but is it really better then the Hornby A4 aside from a load of gimmicks?

The extra driving wheel is grooved, so it gives you the option to run the A4 with or without a traction tyre.