The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

THE 'My New Tool' Thread

Grasshopper John

I did a search but couldn't find anything to show off our new purchases, so I thought I would start one, apologies Mod's if I'm in the wrong section.

So to kick off I'm a sucker for anything that helps in our Hobby of building, One of the problems especially in winter is bad light, I saw an advert on the TV the other day and thought 'that would be handy', so after much soul searching I succumbed to my non existent will power and bought this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Lenser-H7R-Rechargeable-Headlight-with-Charger-200-lumen-NEW-/151887369719?hash=item235d3155f7:g:~V0AAOSw8-tWXE8b

I know its not cheap but it will have other uses, but it does have a variable focus so when doing that bit of fine detailing on whatever we are building this should 'shed some light' on the subject.

Feel free to post your new Tools here as it all helps our hobby, But hurts our wallets :)

Grasshopper John.

• RMweb Gold

thats exactly the same lamp i get issued with at work and its brilliant while uncoupling at night etc

its also very useful when trying to put loco bodys back on to chassis as you can angle the lamp, adjust the focus and turn the brightness down

the only negative thing i will say about it is once the battery starts to go it dims very very quickly (as ive found out a number of times walking to and from worksites) but the charger has a USB connector so it can be quickly recharged via a usb car ciggy adapter thing

edit: watch you dont snag the cable between the lens and charge socket, i did that with my first one and damaged it beyond repair, my current one is 2 years old and has no issues though

New purchases? You don't have to spend money to acquire new and useful tools. I've just raided the workshop to find a bit of old chipboard, a 120 sanding sheet from my orbital sander, some 600 sand paper for the other side, and some double-sided tape!

post-7091-0-89556800-1449230086.jpg

I did spend some money last night on a new, and hopefully very useful, tool though, but it won't be here for a few days.

Totally agree John It certainly doesn't have to be a purchase any new Tool and or Idea that helps us all.

This wasn't exactly a purchase I saw it in the window of a local charity shop

post-14207-0-81069800-1449231647.jpg

It's a very old Tea infuser which I used to wash my coal for the tender, came in very handy, I swaped it for a book :)

Grasshopper John.

• RMweb Premium

This is my latest tool, a pair of special reading glasses.  My regular prescription +1.5 dioptres, which means I can view at 10 inches and in 3D unlike a regular magnifier and better than the head mounted magnifiers.  Just try a pair of the cheap reading glasses from a news agent or the discounters over your own specs or on their own if you don't wear specs

post-25365-0-89529400-1449234215.jpg

I use an electric toothbrush for cleaning before painting David, It's amazing how many household items can be used in our hobby.

This is a little idea I came up with recently while trying to paint the numbers on the smokebox numberplate for my Black 5

post-14207-0-17937700-1449314656.jpg

The idea was ok but it didn't work, Its a filter from a cigarette a small piece of tube with a smaller rod through the middle, and you have a miniature roller, I pushed a cocktail stick through the middle then just inserted the the tube at one end and pushed it through.

I suppose you could use it for other purposes, the reason it didn't work was because the numbers had such a low profile I ended up painting the whole of the plate.

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of those head-mounted flashlights. I keep one in our motorhome because there is a good chance that something will happen outside in the middle of the night. The head mount means that light goes where I look and keeps down the disagreements with someone holding a flashlight.

I started building my first wagon kit for many years the other night, and trying to get the first corner square drove me nuts. I managed it in the end with a square and some Blutac, but I'd end up locked in a padded cell wearing a straightjacket before I'd got far with the dozens of wagons I've got to build!

post-7091-0-38269000-1449445864.jpg

So I thought I'd try some magnetic clamps, and ordered a pair from York Modelmaking. I ordered them late Thursday night, and they arrived on Saturday, so it looks like my sanity is saved, at least for a while! I tried them for the first time today, on a Scalescenes bridge kit, and they're great. It made getting the corners square so easy, without all the fumbling and swearing I'd normally do. I wish I'd been extravagant and bought two pairs now, as it would have made it even easier. I just hope they work as well on the wagons!

post-7091-0-36820100-1449445894.jpg

post-7091-0-36344600-1449445925.jpg

They look good John.

My solution for corners, I just cut up some aluminium quadrant into different sizes then use crocodile clips to hold in place one at the top one at the bottom.

post-14207-0-79930900-1449480870.jpg

As they hold the piece at a proper right angle it allows you to 'move' the bit you are working on to make it easier to get a soldering tip into the joint.

The cutouts in the corners are good on the magnetic ones, as they keep them clear of adhesives. I found I could slide them up and down the card quite easily, so with the bridge I glued the middle section, then slid each clamp in turn down to the middle, glued that end, then slid it back. It's still in one piece this morning!

The aluminium angle idea looks good too, and worth trying. I think a variety of tools to perform similar functions is useful for different situations.

• RMweb Premium

They look good John.

My solution for corners, I just cut up some aluminium quadrant into different sizes then use crocodile clips to hold in place one at the top one at the bottom.

attachicon.gifDSCN0684.JPG

As they hold the piece at a proper right angle it allows you to 'move' the bit you are working on to make it easier to get a soldering tip into the joint.

It's worth taking an engineers square with you when buying angle, as not all is an accurate 90 degree angle....

• 5 weeks later...

Charity shop bargain from today, a whole £2, unused cordless manacure set with lots of diamond tipped attachments and a buffing/polishing wheel

BEDD7C55-ECB2-4B2C-882E-477E45919CCD.jpg

Are you sure that's not for a horse...........................

Archived