DCC Blanking Plate

• RMweb Gold

I recently acquired a DCC Bachmann Compound (Rails advent sale), but I want to convert it back to DC operation as I can't afford to DCC my loco collection.

Is this a simple case of removing the chip and replacing it with a blanking plate?

If that is the case, would anyone have a spare blanking plate that I could acquire.  Very happy to pay/cover any costs you may incur?

Many thanks,

Stephen

I recently acquired a DCC Bachmann Compound (Rails advent sale), but I want to convert it back to DC operation as I can't afford to DCC my loco collection.

Is this a simple case of removing the chip and replacing it with a blanking plate?

If that is the case, would anyone have a spare blanking plate that I could acquire.  Very happy to pay/cover any costs you may incur?

Many thanks,

Stephen

Bachmann locos usually coming with a blanking plug included in the box - looks like a small PCB.

Steve

Many thanks,

Stephen

Unless DC is disabled in the DCC chip you should be able to run it on DC without taking out the chip.

Have you tried to run it ?

Hi Tony

Unless DC is disabled in the DCC chip you should be able to run it on DC without taking out the chip.

Have you tried to run it ?

On past experience with Bachmann chipped locomotives - whilst they run on DC the performance is not as good as with the chip replaced by a blanking plate.

Blanking plates used to be a standard spare from Bachmann retailers.

Regards

Ray

Blanking plugs have a peculiar property in that very few people particularly want one.

Those who run DCC take the plug out and plug a chip in.

Those of us who run analogue and aren't planning on going DCC would be just as happy with a loco with the pickups hardwired to the motor - which would cost less to produce!

So the only people who really want blanking plugs are those currently running analogue who think they might switch to DCC at some stage in the future.

It is quite possible that one may wish to run locos on your own DC layout and friends DCC layouts or vice versa.

On locos with the gubbins in the tender and tender pick-ups, it's handy to have a blanking plate to avail of the extra collecting wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for all the replies, I really appreciate your advice and offers of assistance.

I run my set up with high frequency track cleaners and remember reading that these fry the DCC chip. So prefer to remove it if I can.

Will take another look in the box to see if there is a plate, if not I may be in touch with you Don for one of your spares.

Thanks again everyone and all the best for the holidays,

Stephen

Archived