Elizabeth Line / Crossrail Updates.

• RMweb Premium

I watched it and enjoyed it.  I also thought about the concrete diamonds and my thoughts were that perhaps the air rights for the space above have already been sold and that a building is proposed for that area and thus the concrete diamonds are better to look at than the bottom of a tower block.   I'm looking forward to the next episode. I would have liked to see some shots of the construction trains in the tunnels or perhaps that will be woven into next week's show.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Air space in parts of London is extremely valuable, and Farringdon is a pretty valuable spot being on the edge of the City and at a major transport interchange. I must admit, I was really saddened by how the Thameslink/Crossrail works have changed Farringdon. I worked there for a few years (my office overlooked the railway tracks) and it was like an urban village. Most of the businesses were independent local ones and there was a little community, despite its central London location and proximity to the City. Now all that has gone. Progress is progress and its not for me to try and preserve a world just because I liked it but nevertheless it saddened me.

As an example of costs, I won't go into details for obvious reasons but when I spoke to them about certain assets that were at risk from their activities the immediate response was to say they'd relocate us and pay all costs. When I asked if they were aware of just how much that'd cost they paused for a moment but assured me it wouldn't be an issues (we were talking £100 million+ ten years ago).

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I was somewhat puzzled by the 'concrete diamond'  arrangement and seriously I wonder how long it will last before water starts to leak through the numerous joints - after all it must go somewhere where there is rain.  And how do you clean the interior of a roof like that I wonder?

(Incidentally several of ius ventured a similar question about the inside of the roof at the new Reading station building back in 1989 although it has lots of bare steelwork surfaces where dirt can collect.  Didn't take too long to find the answer - it didn't get cleaned except at extremely rare intervals.

I watched it and enjoyed it.  I also thought about the concrete diamonds and my thoughts were that perhaps the air rights for the space above have already been sold and that a building is proposed for that area and thus the concrete diamonds are better to look at than the bottom of a tower block.   I'm looking forward to the next episode. I would have liked to see some shots of the construction trains in the tunnels or perhaps that will be woven into next week's show.

Jamie

I quite enjoyed it too but there were numerous annoying examples of superfluous use of the word "train" - not just "train station", "train platform" and "train track" were scattered throughout the narrative too.

I quite enjoyed it too but there were numerous annoying examples of superfluous use of the word "train" - not just "train station", "train platform" and "train track" were scattered throughout the narrative too.

I couldn't agree more. There's far too much of 'train' this and 'train' that!! Its a railway and should be referred to as such!! Just another case of slovenly use of the English language.

• RMweb Premium

I know they are developing a large building over Farringdon station, as I remember it was going to completely ruin the view out of my window. The concrete deck could be related to that?

I couldn't agree more. There's far too much of 'train' this and 'train' that!! Its a railway and should be referred to as such!! Just another case of slovenly use of the English language.

The thing that grated slightly with me was when they kept saying "two stops to the east" or whatever, combined with the graphic of the smoking train as mentioned above moving in the appropriate direction.  Nearly as annoying as Railroad Alaska where every swap between storylines is announced with "two hundred miles to the north" or whatever. 

• RMweb Premium

Train station is what people say. Fighting it is as futile as trying to get Americans to spell words like colour and flavour properly.

I was rather pleased today to hear our local Look North presenter correct herself and say that Manchester Victoria Railway station was closed, she started to say Train station then corrected herself. Maybe there is some sort of style guide somewhere in the Beeb.

Jamie

• Like 5

Train station is what people say. Fighting it is as futile as trying to get Americans to spell words like colour and flavour properly.

So why have they started saying it?  Someone must have influenced them.  Let him/her be found and horsewhipped.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was rather pleased today to hear our local Look North presenter correct herself and say that Manchester Victoria Railway station was closed, she started to say Train station then corrected herself. Maybe there is some sort of style guide somewhere in the Beeb.

Jamie

I wonder if the influence was Tom Ingall in this instance. He covers transport for Look North and is a well known railway enthusiast. Perhaps he put the word out to his colleagues on the programme?

Edited by 4630

Because you go to the bus station to catch a bus?

You go to a train station to catch a train?

You don't catch a railway?

You go to a police station to find it unstaffed

Dons tin hat

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there's any particular merit in either Train Station or Railway Station - it's just that the latter is what we've grown up with. The English language is so full of quirks and inconsistencies that I can see little point in trying to back up one or the other by logical argument.

I think there have been a few occasions where I might myself have said Train Station where I didn't want to draw attention to myself as a fogey.

• RMweb Premium

Dons tin hat

Hi

So do you go to a boat port to sail on a ship or a aeroplane port to fly on a plane?

The medium of transport is usually used to differentiate the types therefore it should be railway station, air port, sea port etc. The issue here is you can't have a road station as there are lots of different types of vehicle travelling on the road therefore it is called a bus station.

Cheers

Paul

Dons tin hat

Oh no, not again.  :cry:

An older generation remembers railways featuring significantly in their lives, perhaps using the train to go shopping in the nearest town or city, using the train to visit relatives or to go on holiday. Back in the day, nearly everywhere had a railway station and even if not a railway station then the sounds of freight trains and freight yards were never too far away.

Then something happened, railways were closed down, trains services were reduced and the railway's role in moving freight was diminished. Families bought cars, we even stopped going on holiday by train, more likely in an aircraft. Many of my younger relatives only experiences of trains up until becoming students were the Santa Specials on the SVR,

We stopped using trains and a whole generation, much outside of London, never needed the references. Now as the railway renaissance continues a whole new younger generation are discovering trains, for the first time, but they don't have the references, the language, because they've never needed them.

Then that is why language has reinvented itself and, yes, that means train station. Do I mind, well rather that than no references at all because that would have meant the railways would have died out.

• Like 2

Hi

So do you go to a boat port to sail on a ship or a aeroplane port to fly on a plane?

The medium of transport is usually used to differentiate the types therefore it should be railway station, air port, sea port etc. The issue here is you can't have a road station as there are lots of different types of vehicle travelling on the road therefore it is called a bus station.

Cheers

Paul

I didn't say either was right, just what most would think would be logical.

The point about ports both air and sea is a good one.

The English language is great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Class 345s were introduced to passenger service today with 345005 working an extra service from Liverpool Street to Shenfield and return.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F27693/2017/06/22/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F27694/2017/06/22/advanced

The same workings are in the schedule for tomorrow (23rd June), although don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't run.

Edited by 4630

• 2 weeks later...

Agreement has been reached between HAL (Heathrow Airport Ltd), DfT and TfL to allow an increase in the number of Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) trains to serve Heathrow Airport.

Crossrail will now serve the largest and busiest terminal (T5) with initially 2 tph, in addition to HEX's 4 tph.

With the 4 tph that terminate at T4, that makes a total of 6 tph Crossrail trains and 4 tph HEX   Total = 10 tph

With the 12 tph Piccadilly line service, there will be 22 tph from Heathrow to central London from late 2019.

They are looking at the feasibility of adding a further 2 tph Crossrail to T5.

Oyster cards payment is being extended to Heathrow too.

http://mediacentre.heathrow.com/pressrelease/details/81/Corporate-operational-24/8615

http://www.cityam.com/267806/heathrow-rail-services-boosted-elizabeth-line-deal

• Like 1

I don't think there's any particular merit in either Train Station or Railway Station - it's just that the latter is what we've grown up with. The English language is so full of quirks and inconsistencies that I can see little point in trying to back up one or the other by logical argument.

I think there have been a few occasions where I might myself have said Train Station where I didn't want to draw attention to myself as a fogey.

A very sensible view Andy. We may regret changes in accepted British English usage but trying to freeze it at a particular moment in time or believing that what our English teachers taught us several decades ago had some kind of ultimate authority is futile. In British English we no longer refer to our railways as railroads but at one time both terms were in regular use and, though it's still the official term both in Britain and internationally, few people outside aviation now refer to the places where aircraft arrive and depart as aerodromes (Conversely the Americans, who often deviate from ICAO standards, refer to everything from LAX to a dirt airstrip with no facilities as an "airport") . 

The change may reflect a change of usage. At one time you didn't just go to the railway station to get on a train; you also went there to send or receive parcels and goods, to collect the daily newspapers if you were a newsagent, to send or receive mail if you were the post office, and to conduct any other business that involved the railway. All those related to trains but often indirectly. Nowadays almost the only reason to go to a station is to use a train so train station probably does make more sense. In a similar way, American usage seems to generally now favour "train station" over the far more evocative "railroad depot" .

Of course if you're a Londoner you're used to going to an Underground Station or even a "tube station". You don't do that because you want to go under the ground but only because that's where the trains are and more often than not they're not underground at all (My local "Underground" station is about thirty feet above the street) 

Edited by Pacific231G

A few photos from the Evening Standard showing work in progress on Crossrail.

Some photos show work going on in the deepened and refurbished Connaught Tunnel.

You can also see the OHLE conductor rail installed, or being installed.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/revealed-amazing-images-show-progress-of-crossrail-engineering-work-with-18-months-to-go-a3579131.html#gallery

• Like 2