Elizabeth Line / Crossrail Updates.

• RMweb Premium

They should name parts of the Overground after Edward, George and Henry.  That way they have lots of numbers to play with for the different services that use them.  So from Liverpool Street Chingford could be Henry I, Cheshunt Henry II etc.  

When they finally get their upgrade to Camden Town and split the Northern into Edgware to Battersea and High Barnet to Morden* there are at least plenty of divorced royal couples to choose from when naming the two parts.  

*Or it may be the other way round - who gets custody of the Edgware is always a prime cause of dispute.

And I suppose you could name a service that didn't get to it's intended destination the Charles 1st line.

Jamie

• Like 1

They should name parts of the Overground after Edward, George and Henry.  That way they have lots of numbers to play with for the different services that use them.  So from Liverpool Street Chingford could be Henry I, Cheshunt Henry II etc.  

When they finally get their upgrade to Camden Town and split the Northern into Edgware to Battersea and High Barnet to Morden* there are at least plenty of divorced royal couples to choose from when naming the two parts.  

*Or it may be the other way round - who gets custody of the Edgware is always a prime cause of dispute.  

The "Elizabeth Line" is purely a figment of TfL's publicity organisation as the only line to be named after a person - yes, I know about the Victoria Line, but that was named for the fact that it went to Victoria as a location; the Royal connection is incidental. All of the names for London's Underground lines have come about through simple common sense and/or adoption by the public. Time will tell whether the travelling public adopts Elizabeth Line or simply sticks with Crossrail, which is of course what we have all known it as for over a decade.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

If things come to pass, it might end up as the Kim Jong-un Line..........

I often get the impression that TfL seem to be presenting Crossrail in that manner.  I'm surprised I'm still around having had the gross cheek to write and tell them their trains are awful and we don't want them west of their bailliwick.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The "Elizabeth Line" is purely a figment of TfL's publicity organisation as the only line to be named after a person - yes, I know about the Victoria Line, but that was named for the fact that it went to Victoria as a location; the Royal connection is incidental. All of the names for London's Underground lines have come about through simple common sense and/or adoption by the public. Time will tell whether the travelling public adopts Elizabeth Line or simply sticks with Crossrail, which is of course what we have all known it as for over a decade.

Jim

The Maidenwood Line does have quite a ring to it although I'm not so sure about Termfield.

• Like 1

They should name parts of the Overground after Edward, George and Henry.  

Probably not, because the units on the Edward line would all have to be painted blue and have faces, and on the Henry line the tunnels would have to be bricked up with the train inside. 

Not sure about George, was he mates with Gilbert the gay engine?

• Like 1

And I suppose you could name a service that didn't get to it's intended destination the Charles 1st line.

Jamie

Deleted as I was spouting nonsense. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why does it have to be named after royalty ?

The name could be sponsored, as could the trains and each station adopted, to gain additional income ?

It’s a Railway line, run as a business, not a charity or community function.

Edited by adb968008

Well, no, not if you are to the west of Paddington, when you have to wait nearly two years, until December 2019 (and I have a feeling that that has been put back by a bit - I have a recollection of seeing May 2019 as a start date for the western services). All that happens to the west is that TfL take over the Heathrow Connect services, using the 345 stock, but oerating from Paddington main line station. That happens, from what I recall seeing recently, with the May 2018 timetable change.

Why does it have to be named after royalty ?

The name could be sponsored, as could the trains and each station adopted, to gain additional income ?

It’s a Railway line, run as a business, not a charity or community function.

a) for reasons of TfL vanity.

b) Selfridges (for Bond Street)?

Hopefully not - that was one that the Central London Railway turned down over a century ago, for good reason. One thing that no-one with any sense wants is to have station names that change because the sponsorship deal has been renegogiated (and one reason why FCC couldn't get rid of the Thameslink reference in City Thameslink station).

Jim

• Like 1

Well, no, not if you are to the west of Paddington, when you have to wait nearly two years, until December 2019 (and I have a feeling that that has been put back by a bit - I have a recollection of seeing May 2019 as a start date for the western services).

All that happens to the west is that TfL take over the Heathrow Connect services, using the 345 stock, but oerating from Paddington main line station. That happens, from what I recall seeing recently, with the May 2018 timetable change.

Hi Jim.

As you correctly say, from next May (in 5 months time!) TfL will replace the Heathrow Connect service...but will run it under the TfL Rail banner until Crossrail proper (i.e. The Elizebeth Line) commences in December.

From next December, the Elizebeth Line will commence running initial services through the central core, from Paddington (Crossrail Station) eastbound to Abbey Wood.

The 10 new central and east London stations will come into operation.

This is what the Crossrail piece is about.

(N.B. Heathrow - Paddington will still be using the Paddington main-line station at this point and Shenfield services will still run into Liverpool St. main-line.)

As it's a staged process, in May 2019 (in only 1yr 5 months time) Shenfield services will transfer from using Liverpool St. mainline into the tunnel and terminate at Paddington (Crossrail station).

Finally the full set of Elizebeth Line services, to Heathrow and Reading will be implemented in December 2019.

So yes, the Lizzie does start in just under a years time, but won't be fully up and running until 2 years from now.

p.s. For those that don't know, TfL have already taken over the stations they will run west of Paddington.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

(N.B. Heathrow - Paddington will still be using the Paddington main-line station at this point and Sheffield services will still run into Liverpool St. main-line.)

Blimey: that sounds like a very significant change, which no-one seems to have talked about...

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I notice that they don't say it will mean an even longer, and more circuitous transfer to the H&C platforms or the taxi rank at Paddington - hmm, didn't expect them to. (or are they going to turn the Circle Line back into a Circular service I wonder?)

Blimey: that sounds like a very significant change, which no-one seems to have talked about...

:laugh:  Oops!

I don't know if that was a typo, or the bl**dy autocorrect.

Well it was long past midnight after all.....that's my excuse and I sticking to it.  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

b) Selfridges (for Bond Street)?

Jim

How about “Bond Street” with a second sign under it, saying “Sponsored by Selfridges”... it’s done other places already.

Sutton station is sponsored by “Sub Sea Seven”, who ever they are.

More like the previous Mayor's vanity, Boris came up with the idea (first suggesting it in 2013) and IIRC insisted on it - rather late in the day as Crossrail had appeared (covered up) on signage at Tottenham Court Road.

36546815626_e64330a439_z.jpg

But is it Crossrail? by Sheep"R"Us, on Flickr

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 4