Elizabeth Line / Crossrail Updates.

The Londonist visits the Crossrail train simulator.

The ride doesn't get as far as Twyford, to see if there's a simulated angry man on the platform, waving his fists at the new fangled contraption.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This morning a HEX unit failed on the Up Main Line between Southall and Hanwell and wasn't (or couldn't be?) moved for getting on for 90 minutes.  I don't know what happened but watching on Open Train Times it appears that the line was examined after the unit had finally moved prior to the Up Main reopening.  The Up Main was closed between Dolphin Junction (just east of Slough) and the next available access back onto the Mains east of the failure - at Ladbroke Grove, a distance of over 16 (sixteen) miles.

Somebody in Swindon Control clearly made a very sensible decision that the best way to keep trains moving and avoid decimating the GWR long distance timetable was to suspend HEX services, suspend Heathrow Connect services, and suspend the Paddington - Hayes shuttle service and it was noticeable that most of the trains which were still running didn't suffer excessive delays.  Interesting to speculate what TfL's reaction would be to having that done to Crossrail services notwithstanding the availability of alternative routes for virtually all of the services which were suspended or what would have happened if TfL had exclusive use of the Relief Lines.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to speculate what TfL's reaction would be to having that done to Crossrail services notwithstanding the availability of alternative routes for virtually all of the services which were suspended or what would have happened if TfL had exclusive use of the Relief Lines.

Hi Mike,

I seem to recall from my time involved on the Crossrail project that trains can be terminated at Paddington and turned around (using ATO) and sent back 'east' in times of perturbation to the west. I assume that such an option is still available although I haven't been directly involved for over 3 years now.

Regard's, Ian.

The more recent change (as of early last summer) is the addition of an extra 2 tph running to LHR, which will no doubt have meant more planning work has been required, not to mention the declared intention to add yet another 2 tph at a later date.

Keen to know when Hanwell will go from 2 to 4 TPH. Hoping it is in May this year when TFL take over Heathrow Connect.

Also wondering if this means we'll finally get a service after 9pm and on Sundays too!

Hopefully the new timetable gets published soon.

Guy

Edited by lyneux

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

I seem to recall from my time involved on the Crossrail project that trains can be terminated at Paddington and turned around (using ATO) and sent back 'east' in times of perturbation to the west. I assume that such an option is still available although I haven't been directly involved for over 3 years now.

Regard's, Ian.

Judging by the schematic on Open Train Times there are what appear to be two turnback sidings, plus of course plenty of space in Crossrail land at Old Oak (if trains can get that far).

Judging by the schematic on Open Train Times there are what appear to be two turnback sidings, plus of course plenty of space in Crossrail land at Old Oak (if trains can get that far).

Some years since I worked on Crossrail (and wasn't a happy experience) but I seem to recall there are turnback sidings at Westbourne park by the bus garage. (Along with a siding for the concrete batching plant under the elevated bus parking area.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

IIRC there were initially plans to turn back a lot of the trains at the west portal or thereabout and those sidings will be for that I think.

Jamie

Those plans still exist - and will do until the Elizabeth line gets another western branch that does NOT involve using ANY of the GWML (with the possible exception of Old Oak HS2 station)

At a minimum there will be 24tph arriving at Paddington from the east - which TfL want to increase to 30tph within a decade. The GWML simply cannot absorb that level of service with 6 tracking at least as far as Airport junction (or beyond).

Interestingly those 'sidings' will in fact be signalled as if they are terminating platforms with a full overlap allowing high speed entry, plus some form emergency access suitible for use by members of the public will be provided. This is so that there is no need to undertake a physical check that all passengers have alighted while the train is in Paddington westbound platform - which would seriously screw up the plans for 24tph, let alone 30tph!

IIRC there were initially plans to turn back a lot of the trains at the west portal or thereabout and those sidings will be for that I think.Jamie

Yep, a pair of turnback lines within the CBTC area and not the GWML proper have been provided and will be used through an Auto-Turnback facility

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Ron.

In the first video that train looks a bit overlong for Maidenhead platform - might be the viewing angle of course but it will be interesting to see if it does fit?  I was also far from impressed by the lack odf acceleration in the Up train departing from Maidenhead - is it really that slow I wonder or was the driver being particularly cautious for some reason?  (Definitely does not compare with the rate at which the 387s get away from a stop - and their acceleration was plain to see right from the start with Drivers inexperienced in getting them away from particular stations.  Yesterday leaving Reading on a 387 the start was so 'spirited' that the Driver had to shut off before we'd gone about 400-500 yards!)

I was also far from impressed by the lack odf acceleration in the Up train departing from Maidenhead - is it really that slow I wonder or was the driver being particularly cautious for some reason?  (Definitely does not compare with the rate at which the 387s get away from a stop - and their acceleration was plain to see right from the start with Drivers inexperienced in getting them away from particular stations.  Yesterday leaving Reading on a 387 the start was so 'spirited' that the Driver had to shut off before we'd gone about 400-500 yards!)

I wouldn't read anything into it, the 345s were specified to have metro-like acceleration - the 7-car sets working out of Liverpool St can really shift when they need to.

Edited by Christopher125

In the first video that train looks a bit overlong for Maidenhead platform - might be the viewing angle of course but it will be interesting to see if it does fit?

Hi Mike

A few months ago a construction manager and I did a survey of Maidenhead for the ASDO for the 80x's, we were both surprised to find that the platforms are only just long enough for an 8-car Class 387 (160m), and from what I remember of the scheme plan (I've been off work for a few weeks due to illness), the platforms are only 185ish metres long, so are too short for a 9-car Class 345 (205m).

The Class 345's are fitted with a ETCS based ASDO system, but we are not sure whether it'll be used just yet, there are also rumours of platform extensions at the London end of Maidenhead, but that would require moving all the nice new shiny signals and overlaps we've just installed, so we haven't heard much on it.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

I notice the Acton dive-under (required to facilitate Crossrail) has been under a T3 possession for at least the last two weeks, if not longer. It seems a bit odd given that by railway standards it is still brand new.

Jim

Could be work to remove some of the restrictions that have been placed on stock running through it.

Simon

I notice the Acton dive-under (required to facilitate Crossrail) has been under a T3 possession for at least the last two weeks, if not longer. It seems a bit odd given that by railway standards it is still brand new.

Jim

Structural defects in the retaining walls, now open with a 20 TSR through it.

That's interesting, and not exactly a commendation for the civil engineers who designed/built it.

Jim

As is normal with these things, they spent that long sorting out the 'plan' there wasnt enough time to build the thing so it was a rush job, I was amazed how wet and green it was down there and it wasnt mould, a mower would have been very useful.

As is normal with these things, they spent that long sorting out the 'plan' there wasnt enough time to build the thing so it was a rush job, I was amazed how wet and green it was down there and it wasnt mould, a mower would have been very useful.

Built in accordance with Network Rail's vegetation policy, perhaps?

(Lush growth for...years, followed by trimming back to bare ground, followed by lush growth, etc.)

Jim