Heljan plans 2010/11

class29returns

• 2 weeks later...

Just for info lads; this release still has the welded up gangway doors so it's only really suitable for 1966 and subsequent years.

Dave.

Dave,

Is it possible to backdate the doors like a "Peak" nose or is there more too it than that? The pics on the Hatton's site don't give much away and they're the best I can find of the model.

Cheers,

David

Guest Max Stafford

The doors can be scribed on with relative ease with small plastic or brass scraps attached to represent hinges. I think George Dent did the conversion last year in Model Rail.

Dave.

As requested, a few shots of 33008 in green plus a shot of a pair in an unusual location..

Nice :) Though if you could explain the headcodes for me that'd be good to! When I googled them for my Class 14 I didn't really get anything helpful back for either :(

• RMweb Premium

Nice :) Though if you could explain the headcodes for me that'd be good to! When I googled them for my Class 14 I didn't really get anything helpful back for either :(

Referring to the four class 33 pictures the headcodes displayed are:

Double white blank (often known as "square") meaning simply the front of a train when no other route number or headcode is appropriate. Its use was largely confined to e.c.s moves and shunting movements for many years but with the general disappearance of headcodes on trains it has been seen a little more widely on those locos and units suitably equipped. An unofficial display of one red and one white blank was commonly used by drivers of short-distance shuttles and branch line operations where frequent changing of the official code between numerals and red blanks every few minutes was considered a time-consuming nuisance.

33 would be a reference to the locomotive class and may also indicate reporting number 1Z33. Again in more recent times the actual code carried often bore no resemblance to the route used.

0E is a third extempore code often used by locomotives operating Venice Simplon Orient Express workings (0E for Orient Express); note that the 0 is numeric as an alpha O was not included on the roller blinds. The train shown appears to be formed of VSOE stock

89 is the official code for a semi-fast train between Portsmouth Harbour and all points beyond Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads or Cardiff Central running via Netley. In practice WR crews often displayed "square" between Cardiff and Bristol as they were not necessarily familiar with SR route codes. 89 was also used (with or without official sanction) for occasional workings to Weston-super-Mare.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for that! I can't quite remember what numbers are in the Heljan 33/2 but will put two red squares on one end!

The Heljan head code sheet contains:

89 (can be rotated to do 68)

99 (can be rotated to do 66)

HG

5J

EK

GO

2 x white blanks

2 x red blanks

62 was the Waterloo to West of England generally, 99 is either Uckfield or Tunbridge Wells, can't quite remember which at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

11 Brighton - Exeter St Davids post-1976 (when 6L+6B was used, then again when the Cromptons returned)

89 Portsmouth Harbour - Bristol / Cardiff

90 Waterloo - Weymouth Quay boat trains

96 Waterloo - Southampton Western Docks boat trains

99 Brighton - Bristol / Cardiff

were among the headcodes regularly seen on Cromptons at Southampton and all of which can be made from the Heljan sheets.

It is also easy to cut the Heljan sheets and make additional codes.

G2 was used between 1967-1975 for Brighton - Exeter (and Plymouth before the route was closed)

G6 was used at that time for the summer Sundays Brighton - Poole train

For a light engine the trailing end should show double red blank. When the loco is coupled to a train the trailing end should be set to double black blank. For modelling purposes I use double reds.

Freight trains used a complex series of alpha-numeric / numeric-alpha codes for trips wholly within the SR and all-alpha for inter-regional workings. Cromptons were employed on a fair number of local trips, oil and general freight workings.

Referring to the post above 99 also indicated London Bridge - East Croydon - Uckfield.

• RMweb Premium

Link here http://www.semgonline.com/headcodes/eheadcodes.html

My post here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=441959#p441959 refers to the most comprehensive publication offering the information you seek. Copies are often available on eBay and occasionally other sources such as Amazon.

Posted in the open forum as it may prove of interest to others as well.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps a surprise is the omission (at least for now) of further 33/1 types. D6580 in green could arguably be piped but only ran thus for a very short time. Given the ease of obtaining 33/0 and 33/2 compared with the relative scarcity of 33/1 in plain rail blue there could be a gap in the market here.

Surely, D6580 in green with push/pull equipment was on the last list of Cromptons released? Hattons have at least 10 in stock as I write.

Archived