Hornby Winter Sale

Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium

Ryde on Time

Your observations regarding Amazon are interesting and their definition of when a contract is concluded is not in accordance with UK (English or Scottish) law.  This is however  explained because you are actually dealing with Amazon EU SARL a company registered in Luxembourg and operating under their laws.

Hornby on the other hand is a UK company operating under English law and their T&Cs make no mention of when the contract is concluded, because English law defines that. 

• RMweb Gold

Received my coaches this afternoon (see post 41) one week after ordering. However, the dispatch team have doubled up my order and sent two of each coach! Have decided to keep the extras and emailed Hornby asking how they can be paid for.

• RMweb Premium

Received my coaches this afternoon (see post 41) one week after ordering. However, the dispatch team have doubled up my order and sent two of each coach! Have decided to keep the extras and emailed Hornby asking how they can be paid for.

I know it's the right thing to do but why? They stuffed up not you.

• RMweb Premium

Who said I needed it explained? I simply asked why he did it. If you re-read my post it says

"I know it's the right thing to do but why? They stuffed up not you"

Why should he have to pay for a mistake that wasn't his mistake to fix?

• RMweb Gold

Who said I needed it explained? I simply asked why he did it. If you re-read my post it says

Apart from the obvious ethical matters,there are certain legal obligations to be attended to . Do you keep something sent to you knowing it to be a mistake on the part of the sender ? I think not. Your duty is to seek clarification from that same sender. As I read it,Rowsley 17D is using the opportunity to purchase more of the same. That is all. He does not complain. Is it such a good idea to make more out of this than there actually is ?

• RMweb Gold

Ryde on Time

Your observations regarding Amazon are interesting and their definition of when a contract is concluded is not in accordance with UK (English or Scottish) law.  This is however  explained because you are actually dealing with Amazon EU SARL a company registered in Luxembourg and operating under their laws.

Hornby on the other hand is a UK company operating under English law and their T&Cs make no mention of when the contract is concluded, because English law defines that. 

Amazon was just one example. Another would be John Lewis (who are uk based) who state

• Order acceptance and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on the despatch to you of the Products ordered unless we have notified you that we do not accept your order, or you have cancelled it in accordance with the instructions in Change or cancel an order

The reason for this is so the the seller has an opportunity to check in case a mistake has been made on the website (listing a TV for £4.99 instead of £499) which would be picked up in a shop when you went to pay

I am not aware of any court case that has tested this though so am not sure that any 'Law' exists

Apart from the obvious ethical matters,there are certain legal obligations to be attended to . Do you keep something sent to you knowing it to be a mistake on the part of the sender ? I think not. Your duty is to seek clarification from that same sender.

Why?

I reckon your duty is to keep the parcel in a safe place until the sender asks for you to return it. I don't see how you have any obligation to contact the sender re unsolicited goods.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Why?

I reckon your duty is to keep the parcel in a safe place until the sender asks for you to return it. I don't see how you have any obligation to contact the sender re unsolicited goods.

Bernard

These would not,I imagine,be classified as unsolicited goods. For goodness sake,this was a mistake that must be obvious to all...or is it ?

"Why?" is a request for an explanation. So, you said that it needed to be explained.

There are plenty of ways in which the OP could act which would cost him neither money nor integrity. He already said that he wanted to pay for the coaches.

• RMweb Premium

Ryde on Time

The John Lewis T&Cs also say:

For most products sent directly from our warehouse, your credit/debit card will be charged when your order is dispatched.

(I did check that they operate under English law and they do.)

So JL have found a way of staying with English law, since acceptance of your money is only (for most products) at the time of dispatch - which is what closes the contract.  I am not sure about the "other products" which AFAIK are not covered at all under the T&Cs.

There is no specific law that I am aware of and in common with much of English law the conclusion of contract is defined by precedent.

I think we could go on and on finding examples and ways that companies do (or maybe do not) comply with the law, but I am not sure that would help the thread forward.

I would however be interested in finding out the final resolution for the thankfully very few who have been adversely impacted by Hornby's glitch.

• RMweb Premium

"Why?" is a request for an explanation. So, you said that it needed to be explained.

My point is why should he have to fix a mistake he didn't make?

If you purchased a brand new car and it arrived in Black, when you had actually purchased Blue, would you pay to fix it? I don't think you would. It's exactly the same principle.

Why?

Bernard

I believe that legally the property becomes yours after a certain amount of time (1 month?) if it appears at your address without you asking for it. Similar thing to lost property handed in, often returned to you in the same period.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

If you purchased a brand new car and it arrived in Black, when you had actually purchased Blue, would you pay to fix it? I don't think you would. It's exactly the same principle.

He didn't have to do it.He chose to do it. A voluntary...not an imperative act.He seems to have turned it to his advantage.

• RMweb Gold

I believe that legally the property becomes yours after a certain amount of time (1 month?) if it appears at your address without you asking for it. Similar thing to lost property handed in, often returned to you in the same period.

Stewart

In this particular case ...how then would you distinguish between the goods he ordered and those he did not ?

It's not. It's like a second, black car arriving with the blue one. The question of " not having to pay to fix the problem" seems to be your response to the idea that it might be possible to get something for nothing because of an honest mistake.

It's always illuminating to see this sort of thing. Please never offer to be a counterparty in any transaction with me.

For anyone who missed out on a K1, Hawkins Bazaar sale includes the weather R3305 K1

They are currently showing 2 in stock for £65 !

http://www.hawkin.com/Hornby-r3305-br-2-6-0-k1-class

Dang! Not seen this seller before, but sadly they don't ship outside the EU apparently.

I'd have taken a BR 2-HAL for 65 quid (also less VAT if they shipped here) in a minute <sigh>

• RMweb Gold

Thank you also for the tip from me. I have just purchased 4 X "K" type Pullmans and an R4484 Pullman for £25 each. Includes free delivery.Oh,and I also get a free toy rocket !!  I'll probably lose it in the trees if I fire it..Grandson should be happy though. :angel:

• RMweb Gold

Back to my unsolicited goods whereby Hornby mistakenly sent me two of each coach I ordered. This is covered by the following legislation: Regulation 39 of the Consumer Protection Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 . As the goods were sent by mistake, I am required to contact the trader and have them collect the goods within a certain time period, a fair period being 14 days. If they have not been collected then they become mine to keep or dispose. Since I want to keep the goods I have made an offer of payment. Hornby's automatic reply to my email said they were experiencing delays in replying to emails. If I hear nothing within the next couple of weeks, I will send them the official "please collect your goods that you sent in my error within 14 days" email.

• RMweb Gold

Back to my unsolicited goods whereby Hornby mistakenly sent me two of each coach I ordered. This is covered by the following legislation: Regulation 39 of the Consumer Protection Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 . As the goods were sent by mistake, I am required to contact the trader and have them collect the goods within a certain time period, a fair period being 14 days. If they have not been collected then they become mine to keep or dispose. Since I want to keep the goods I have made an offer of payment. Hornby's automatic reply to my email said they were experiencing delays in replying to emails. If I hear nothing within the next couple of weeks, I will send them the official "please collect your goods that you sent in my error within 14 days" email.

Thank you for posting this.It gives clarity to your particular situation.Secondly,it shines daylight on the problem that some of us have recently experienced with regard to non response to e mails.....but not the reason for it.

Archived