Hornby Winter Sale

Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium

Love the bargains. But wouldn't you be slightly hacked off if you bought the Network Rail Yellow HST @ £209 only to find it's now £139 ! So good bargains on Gresley and Thompson suburbans , back to sensible coach prices!

• RMweb Premium

Was looking at the Thompson and Gresley suburban coaches and think they look nice but I have no idea what sort of formations they would run in - I have tried searching the web and the forum with very inconclusive results.

If anyone could help, a few will be making their way north! Cheers

Was looking at the Thompson and Gresley suburban coaches and think they look nice but I have no idea what sort of formations they would run in ...

As seen deployed on both secondary and branchline services, and main line inner and outer suburban services, all mixed up.

Early in the BR period there was still plenty of pre-group stock running with these vehicles on branchlines. The advent of DMU's and the BR mk1 non-gangwayed steadily saw off the pre-group vehicles, then the Gresley types, then the Thompsons, the CL's being the last to go due to BR not initially building replacement vehicles.

If you wanted an outersub train, a typical formation would be BS/S/CL/CL/S/BS. Pitch it around 1955 and you can freely mix BR mk1, Gresley and Thompson types. I always thought the appearance of the Thompson CL's in the middle of such a set, with their central whited out oval windows made a distinctive train. L1/B1/ Baby Deltic/Brush type 2 traction.

But from 1948 to 1965, they near always ran 'mixed'. The only all-Gresley vehicle train I can swear to seeing were the fixed formation quadart sets.

• RMweb Premium

These Winter Sales are not confined to Hornby (UK). I've had similar e-mails from Hornby Italia. According to the Italian mags Hornby's logistics/distribution and shops are all now from their new site in Sandwich not the individual countries so they're selling off stock. Apparently Hornby is also considering "re-opening" the long closed Rivarossi museum as a sort of shop and visitor centre. Sound familiar?

• RMweb Gold

All for saving money just ordered two more ex-LMS suburban coaches, a full set now.:) if they are still going cheep in a couple of weeks I'll order two more so I can build a push-pull set and have it finished two days before Hornby shows of a top secret design they been working on.....probably.

• RMweb Gold

Acquired an O1 for renumbering purposes - to good a bargain to miss ;)

Arrived this morning in an absurdly large box full of those plastic bag pillows. I was pleasantly surprised to find an O1 with a straight running plate (unlike the image on the box)

Maybe Hornby are doing a double-blind crossover research test to see which forms of excessive packaging have the least number of returns?  <g>

Lucky you with the straight running plate O1.  I have an LNER version to photograph after these A4s and Bulleids, and Kitchener...  cheers

Bought the "Balfour Beatty" Sentinel from the Winter Sale and a couple of Mk1 Parcels coaches (in WR choc/cream) from the Last Chance saloon.  However, although I placed my order on the 26/12, its still marked as "processing" in My Orders. When did toboldlygo order his 01, I wonder?

Thje only thing that puzzles me is that the choc/cream parcels coach in the Winter Sale (R4642A) is £2 more expensive than the one (R4624) in the Last Chance sale. Is there any difference or is it just that the sales team forgot that they already had it listed more cheaply?

I'm sorely tempted by that K1 however..... 

Oh well.  Happy New Year to everyone!

(edit for post-new year typos....)

I ordered the late K1 on the 23rd of December, this was after a message flashed up on their website stating only 2 left. This item is now shown as out of stock, a revised rrp of £129.99 is now posted. You might still be able to buy the early weathered version though, should you so wish. This is I think, still available on last chance to buy section of their website.

Happy New Year and bargain hunting for 2016.....

i ordered the NMT power cars and one of the graffiti'd mark 1 coaches on 22nd dec, and received them yesterday.  The NMT is a lovely model and has some nice details not found on other power cars.  Im also very impressed with the phone messages concerning delivery.  I had a message stating that my order would be delivered the previous day.  On the day, I was sent another message giving me a 1 hour window when the parcel would be delivered.  faultless if you ask me.

• RMweb Gold

Bought the "Balfour Beatty" Sentinel from the Winter Sale and a couple of Mk1 Parcels coaches (in WR choc/cream) from the Last Chance saloon.  However, although I placed my order on the 26/12, its still marked as "processing" in My Orders. When did toboldlygo order his 01, I wonder?

Thje only thing that puzzles me is that the choc/cream parcels coach in the Winter Sale (R4642A) is £2 more expensive than the one (R4624) in the Last Chance sale. Is there any difference or is it just that the sales team forgot that they already had it listed more cheaply?

I'm sorely tempted by that K1 however..... 

Oh well.  Happy New Year to everyone!

(edit for post-new year typos....)

Late on the 23rd December

Ordered the Colas 56 on the 30th December though got the e-mail this morning saying that due to a 'technical issue' item was not actually in stock and will be refunded shortly . . .

. . . Come on Hornby sort this 'technical issue' out - Third time this has happened now

Will add to be fair not had any other issues with ordering through Hornby its just for items in the 'Last chance to buy' / Winter Sale sections where they never seem to be available.

I know Hornby close down over Christmas to give staff a well earned rest, however some form of update would be welcome. My K1, which was ordered on the 23rd of December still hasn't arrived despite payment being taken. In light of the above post, I will be ringing them this morning as they seem to ignore e-mails. 

Archived