Hornby Winter Sale

Black 5 Bear

I know Hornby close down over Christmas to give staff a well earned rest, however some form of update would be welcome. My K1, which was ordered on the 23rd of December still hasn't arrived despite payment being taken. In light of the above post, I will be ringing them this morning as they seem to ignore e-mails. 

I have just spoken to Hornby, they state that there was a mix up in the warehouse pre-Christmas,the K1 along with other items was not available for sale. They claim to have sent a cancellation e-mail which never arrived, the order page on the website however still shows processing. No reply to 3 e-mails. Not impressed to say the least and will be taking this up with their managers !!!!!

• RMweb Gold

I have just spoken to Hornby, they state that there was a mix up in the warehouse pre-Christmas,the K1 along with other items was not available for sale. They claim to have sent a cancellation e-mail which never arrived, the order page on the website however still shows processing. No reply to 3 e-mails. Not impressed to say the least and will be taking this up with their managers !!!!!

It gives me no joy to post that here is another forum member who has suffered the same poor/non existent communication .Good luck in your quest for a manager.I too have a item which is still "processing ".It was delivered 7 weeks ago.

I regret that like Don Quixote and SanchoPanza,we are tilting at windmills !

Hornbys ordering system is sometimes in a state of disarray.

I've an order that was delivered in November thats still marked as Processing.

Of current purchases from the Winter Sale/Last Chance lists, one ordered on the 26th December is marked as Dispatched but doesn't include a tracking number although the order says that it can be tracked and has a link to the courier.  Orders placed on the 28th and 30th of December are still marked as Processing.

You sometimes get the feeling that the order processing department has a very small staff...

Update (06/01/16):  Order of the 26th Dec arrived yesterday, and the order of the 28th arrived today, although its still marked as "processing".  Order of the 30th on the other hand, is marked as "dispatched", so it may be here tomorrow!  Odd.....

A retailer who actually cared about customer satisfaction would send the item anyway. If the item was out of stock, they would offer an equivalent or better alternative, even if that meant them losing some money.

This is why I will never buy direct from Hornby, unless the item is something I'm really desperate for, and isn't available elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

You need to check your card statement and see if payment has in fact been taken.

If it has then their "invitation to treat" has been accepted by them, and cancellation can only be by mutual agreement.  If you do not agree they have to make restitution.  Just giving yoou your money back on the card is not sufficient.  If stocks of this model exist (en route or at a retail outfit) they will need to supply from those sources.

Barrack room lawyer's hat removed.

Thank you Andy, they have already refunded £79.99 back to my card without agreement. This was done between Christmas and New Year, I have raised an official complaint and await some form of resolution/redress. An offer of that loco or similar at the price agreed would more than suffice.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Andy, they have already refunded £79.99 back to my card without agreement. This was done between Christmas and New Year, I have raised an official complaint and await some form of resolution/redress. An offer of that loco or similar at the price agreed would more than suffice.

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted re: checking card statements but it is IMHO important to check your c.c.regularly on line.If you don't already do this ,I recommend you set up and log on regularly just to see where you are at a glance.We RMWeb members live by plastic after all. Just a thought...

• RMweb Gold

You need to check your card statement and see if payment has in fact been taken.

If it has then their "invitation to treat" has been accepted by them, and cancellation can only be by mutual agreement.  If you do not agree they have to make restitution.  Just giving yoou your money back on the card is not sufficient.  If stocks of this model exist (en route or at a retail outfit) they will need to supply from those sources.

Barrack room lawyer's hat removed.

Useful information.Thing is.....do Hornby actually know that ?

• RMweb Gold

Waiting for the K1 and Colas 56 to re-appear at full RRP. Has anyone else other than R Jennings and myself had the same problem ????

Just what is going on down in deepest Kent ? Concessions Apple Green B1's priced at a silly £150+ now leaking sideways onto ebay at £100 o.n.o.Market forces ? Just how do you explain that or justify inflated r.r.p. .?

• RMweb Gold

In fairness to Hornby I think I should that I ordered British monarch as soon as the sale started and received it in a matter of days. So not all bad

Indeed no No one is suggesting that.However,please remember that this company is investing significantly in direct sell. At this moment,judging from some of the posts on this forum,there are far too many errors and a significant lack of appropriate response to those mistakes.Warehousing and distribution are now "contracted out" and maybe that's part of the reason....but it surely is no excuse for uneven performance and frustrated customers who are in the dark concerning their orders.

Performance is  below par atm. If you can't fulfil orders,then don't take them. ( Where have we heard that before ....elsewhere on this forum.?.Hornby are not unique in that respect )

• RMweb Premium

Yes sorry for the K1 issue , I ordered Rood Ashton Hall as soon as I saw it on sale,. It arrived in days and at all times I was kept informed by text th status of order. So really sorry for Black 5 bear , I have to say looks like you've been very unlucky on this occasion

• RMweb Premium

Black 5 Bear

It is important that you cantact Hornby and formally reject the return of your money (must be in writing which includes e-mail).  Insist that they supply the item as per the contract entered into at the point that they accepted your payment.

Do Hornby know the law?  I bet their legal depatment do, but they will try and use their terms and conditions to wriggle out of what they have described to Black 5 Bear as a warehouse c*ck up.  That is their problem not his.

Hornby's T&Cs state that they reserve the right to cancel an order if "we have insufficient stock to deliver the Goods you have ordered" and I am sure they will try and hide behind this.    However teir T&Cs also state "In rare instances, should it occur that an item becomes unavailable during the check out process, you will be notified that the item is no longer available during the check out process".  Since this did not happen they are in breach of their own T&Cs.

In the end it might just come down to pointing out that by accepting the money they have entered into a contract under English law.  They are now in breach of that contract and no matter what their T&Cs say, they do not take precedence over the law of the land in which they trade.

• RMweb Gold

I ordered my ex-LMS none corridor coaches on boxing day turned up yesterday. Very happy with them.

I know it is no consolation to those of you disappointed by Hornby, but my ex-LMS non-corridors just turned up, ordered on the 29th. 

So no complaints from me.

I am glad I have read these two pages because I am a first time buyer of Hornby and was shocked at their inability to deliver an order yet that I placed on 25th November. Now I realise they have significant problems with their systems, probably due to poor staffing, when errors do occur. I can live with that to a certain degree but having followed up at least 4 times by e-mail with them since early December and not received a single response other than the automated response that they'll get to me in 5 business days, I am now ready for a fight :threaten: .

As the credit card payment went through immediately it seems I may have legal rights I can enforce so I am attempting to get a refund on the £25 shipping fee, as that seems fair, given it is currently 5 weeks late. Lets hope we can agree when somebody actually makes contact with me as it may lead to a further purchase - therefore we can make this a win-win situation. The item was still in stock when I last looked.

• RMweb Gold

I am glad I have read these two pages because I am a first time buyer of Hornby and was shocked at their inability to deliver an order yet that I placed on 25th November. Now I realise they have significant problems with their systems, probably due to poor staffing, when errors do occur. I can live with that to a certain degree but having followed up at least 4 times by e-mail with them since early December and not received a single response other than the automated response that they'll get to me in 5 business days, I am now ready for a fight :threaten: .

As the credit card payment went through immediately it seems I may have legal rights I can enforce so I am attempting to get a refund on the £25 shipping fee, as that seems fair, given it is currently 5 weeks late. Lets hope we can agree when somebody actually makes contact with me as it may lead to a further purchase - therefore we can make this a win-win situation. The item was still in stock when I last looked.

Failure to respond to e mails seems to be a chronic condition.Within 5 business days? In my case...and others.....never.

Thank you Gents for your advice. I will await a reply and see what,if anything they are prepared to do to resolve this situation before upping the tempo.

The exact same thing has happened to me with the K1. I ordered 23rd December in the morning, and got an email on the 31st saying they couldn't fulfil the order and would refund me (after taking the money on 29th). I then emailed objecting to this course of action emailing straight away on the 31st, but on Monday they refunded it anyway! The thing that annoys me the most is that they were still showing it as in stock only moments before I placed the order!

Failure to respond to e mails seems to be a chronic condition.Within 5 business days? In my case...and others.....never.

I have a feeling that the management of Hornby follows modern practice where hiring someone who can organise responses to customers does not fall into the school of thought which includes synerges with a platform for revenue-growth going forward...

I bought Bude and Manston as separate orders, sending (without much hope of success ) a request that the orders be kept separate, but they were combined without my consent, exposing me to duty and taxes.  Fool was I!  

Mind you, I thought the Silver Jubilee set would be rare and sought-after....  and I expect the Bachmann H2 Atlantic to arrive un-announced any day...   :)

Archived