'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

If Kernow are processing payments then a simple phonecall to them will ensure currency. I have found them just as friendly on the phone as they are when I visit.

True but it would be a lot easier and less hassle for Kernow if you could update them online like all the other online retailers I use, especially for our overseas modelers.

Is it just me?  When I get a new card, I ring up anone who I have back orders with (e.g. Kernow) and give them the updated details.  OK that's difficult / expensive if you're abroad but . . . I guess that you could send an email with your order no (nos?) plus the new start & end dates and the 3 character code from the back?  I guess you could also include the last 4 digits also.  Specifically you are not sending the whole credit card number (which won't have changed) over an insecure email link.  But you will send enough for Kernow (or whoever) to update their records.

Just a thought - and it not only helps Kernow / whoever with order processing, it also speeds despatch of your eagerly awaited item.

I ordered a 30064 about four years ago, although I do not see my order on the Model Rail Offers website. Hmm, not to be whiney I am wondering if after all this time that the order has been lost. Which begs another question. Many of us probably provided credit card numbers with our preorders. With the passage of time, many of those credit cards have expired. Will we be contacted for updates?

Cheers

Malcolm Turner

Calgary,Canada

Yes, anyone whose card has expired will be contacted. E-mail me at chris.leigh@bauermedia.co.uk as a reminder and when I'm next in the office I'll ask Kernow to check if they have your order. (CJL)

Please be patient for a little while longer. With the long gestation period of this model it is inevitable that card - and other - details may have changed in the meantime. Please wait to be contacted by KMRC, as not all the liveries are arriving at the same time and they will be dealt with as batches are received. Lots of phone calls to Camborne will simply bring the despatch process to a standstill. (CJL)

• Like 2

I had an email from Kernow a couple of days ago concerning updating card details. Luckily I do have money now, but I still would rather some way payment could be taken at start. Interest rates are so low , it is not going to make that much difference. Isuppose te way now would be to do it by crowdfunding, so not only is the money there to fund project,but also means you know you have paid.

• RMweb Gold

The biggest frustration with this model has been the ones that we can't do because - despite lots of tooling variations and separate parts - there are some combinations of detail that we don't have. Virtually no two of them were the same, it seems. Only the other day I was saying to Richard, "It would have been nice to do the Redbridge Sleeper Depot one."

"Can't do it. Wrong details." was the reply. (CJL)

Would the same apply to the ones used at Longbridge Austin Works in the 1940s and 1950s?  The Austin ones were Davenports, works numbers 2503 and 2505. I think the Southampton ones were mainly built by Vulcan Ironworks, Wilkes-Barre PA. the only exception being the one which became DS233 at Redbridge which I believe was built by H K Porter. 

Would the same apply to the ones used at Longbridge Austin Works in the 1940s and 1950s?  The Austin ones were Davenports, works numbers 2503 and 2505. I think the Southampton ones were mainly built by Vulcan Ironworks, Wilkes-Barre PA. the only exception being the one which became DS233 at Redbridge which I believe was built by H K Porter. 

I guess it would. I asked about the Redbridge one and we can't do it because the details are different. I guess Davenports would have yet more differences. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I guess it would. I asked about the Redbridge one and we can't do it because the details are different. I guess Davenports would have yet more differences. (CJL)

I managed to find a picture of Austin No.5 at Longbridge during 1958 just before it was scrapped in Roger Shenton's "Changing Tracks". 

Compared wth the SR locos the cab looks completely different as does the plumbing under the LH side.  I would guess that it was closer to the Rivarossi one in USATC livery, numbered 1948.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

Looks to be a cracking little loco, can anyone advise if one would be suitable for an 80s themed layout?

For the UK, I would think only if you were modelling a preservation line like the Bluebell Railway. They certainly weren't in any mainline operation (not since '68) and not in private industrial not long after (IIRC).

as most layouts are fictional, could always assume some did continue in industry, or got brought back from overseas. some continued in operation in the Balkans. Would be one of the unmodified ones though.

On a similar note I am assuming more of the London Transport/Metropolitan locos survived so I can justify one on my 70s layout!

Thing is that once you have crossed that bridge you can do what ever you want. Just remember OO is wrong gauge, so compromises are always made using OO. I accept that, but at same time am also playing around with British HO.

Does anyone know which manufacturer the Hornby/Rivarossi one is based on.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I managed to find a picture of Austin No.5 at Longbridge during 1958 just before it was scrapped in Roger Shenton's "Changing Tracks". 

Compared wth the SR locos the cab looks completely different as does the plumbing under the LH side.  I would guess that it was closer to the Rivarossi one in USATC livery, numbered 1948.

it's the other way round - it's the Southern cabs which are different : they were all modified at Eastleigh ....... compare with the N.C.B. or original U.S.A.T.C. models for instance.

• RMweb Gold

it's the other way round - it's the Southern cabs which are different : they were all modified at Eastleigh ....... compare with the N.C.B. or original U.S.A.T.C. models for instance.

Thanks for that. The USATC one is very similar to the second Longbridge one, the NCB one possibly even more so.

On a similar note I am assuming more of the London Transport/Metropolitan locos survived so I can justify one on my 70s layout!

OK off topic - but rue_d_etropal you may not be too far off reality.   My 1969 edition of HC Casserley's Preserved Locomotives notes that 4 of the Metropolitan locos still existed; 3 for engineers' trains and one (no 1 John Lyon) for possible preservation by London Transport.  I have also annotated the book to the effect that one was stored at Parson's Green,  Also I saw one at the Science Museum January 1973; this being before most of the Science Museum railway collection was moved to York and elsewhere.  Sorry, I didn't record which particular locos these were.

But as you may know, both Sara Siddons and John Hampden still exist, John Hampden being preserved by LT.

My point is that as we tend to create fctional railways, based on real ones, we can bend history to our advantage. I think there were only 2 USA tanks in NCB, but that does not mean there could not have been more. As some of the questions relate to differences between the manufacturers then woud be interested to know which one the HO version is.

By coincidence mymini layout project does have a connection with he Longmoor line, as I am presuming there was a line through Dunsfold, and as that is virtually on doorstep of David Shepherd, when the LMR closed he could have set up operation at my fictional Dunsfold station and yard. Now does that give me reason to run a LMR USA  tank as well?  I have ordered an original WW2 version, but one could have been preserved.  Ah the power of fiction.

• Like 2