• RMweb Gold

Buxton in the pre-tops era, lots of green an blue diesels and dmu's, that's what I've been thinking about for the last couple of days.

As some of you may know I dived into the world of EM gauge earlier this year with my layout Edge Lane Junction and although the scenic section is only going to be roughly 12' long it will need a fare size fiddle yard for the full length trains. This is something I don't have space for a the moment but I've been carrying on regardless.

Over Christmas I was looking through Flickr when a photo appeared of Buxton in the early 80's and it reminded me of seeing a layout based on the depot an station in the early 90's in railway modeller and it was something I really fancied doing one day, do I turn my attention to this putting ELJ on hold? I've kind of lost my modelling mojo because of this

Unfortunately this has got me thinking and spending a good few hours looking at old photos of the depot. It's still something I want to build one day, but do I start it now and put ELJ on hold? Practically it's easier as there is no need for a huge fiddle yard and I can build it in sections. Also having a quite a few locos and not much stock some kind of depot is appealing, although there's quite a few representations on Buxton already, I imagine a late 60's version to be quite interesting.

Thoughts, ideas and photos would be very welcome.

Thanks, Paul

I think any model of Buxton is welcome.

It's a nice prototype where big locomotives can stand happily alongside little units and it not look odd in the BLT set up.

Most modern image small station with TMD models are a variation on this prototype because it was so unusual in the post steam world.

I can't think of another prototype example of such a set up (sets self up to be proven wrong ).

I thought you'd gone P4 ? Lol

What years you fancying mate ,did the link to old maps work I sent you

I like Buxton station ,shed and thanks to you found out that the train of ICI wagons used to reverse into the platforms and back out so lots of potential ,after a quick look at the 1967 plans realised it was a very busy area track wise

I can understand your reasons behind the change

And what you've already done on ELJ can be stored until the room is available

Brian

• RMweb Gold

There have been a couple of models of Buxton around, all seem to me to miss the one of the crucial bits of the railway operation in the area.

Alongside the conveniently situated depot and station the trains from Hindlow and Dowlow reverse (coming in over the old Cromford & High Peak and Ashbourne branch) in loops to the north of the station.

This enables the freight traffic to use the old Midland line through Peak Forest. 

Also I believe, local trip freights were still using the Higher Buxton goods depot in '80s.

All in all a great location with far more potential than just a loco depot and station. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone, I don't really know much about the area other than photos and videos on YouTube, Keith if you conker templot let me know and you can show me how to do it!! :)

I just like the idea of a small station and depot that doesn't look wrong because it's real, although I might possibly add a few things. I can picture my SLW 24 ticking over now on the stabling point, unfortunately it's sat upstairs still in the box.

As for ELJ if I go ahead with this I'll just moth ball it.

I'm still a bit undecided as I've put a lot of time into ELJ but the more I think of Buxton the more I want to start it. It wont be 100% Buxton but it's a great blue print to go off.

Thanks again for all your comments and input fellas it's much appreciated :)

Cheers, Paul

Think I seen that if it was a couple of years ago, big decision now is do I go for it??

Cheers, Paul

If you don't, and you've lost your Mojo with your other one you will end up doing nothing, I know from previous experience.

Paul it will be great what ever you decide. I am looking at a southern depot as a trail piece to be combined into a later layout. Sound fitted comptons and gronks. First must conker Templot.Keith HC

Soak in vinegar and bake in the oven overnight for best results.

• RMweb Gold

If you don't, and you've lost your Mojo with your other one you will end up doing nothing, I know from previous experience.

Thanks Andy, I just don't want to regret starting something new, I think it's just the fact I can't see ELJ being anything more than a scenic diorama due to the size it will have to be, which is kind of disheartening when I haven't ran anything in nearly 6 months and I've a brand new new 24 still sitting in its wrapper.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Fortune favours the brave. if you don't try it you'll be sitting there saying "What if" and before you know it time will have gone along and you will think you could have built it by now which may leave you more dis-heartened.

I had the same dilemma earlier this year. For once I bit the bullet and went for it and whilst I still have a lot of work to do I made the right call.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Stu.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stu, I am liking the idea more and more and I spent most of yesterday looking at old photos, Buxton seemed to be pretty big in the 60's.

Going off a few old photos I've come up with a rough track plan, although I've added an extra short siding just before the depot. On the real Buxton there are siding on the bottom right, I've left these out but I might add an play around with them later.

This is not to scale and very rough as I'm sure I'll find more things out the more research I do. Although there seems to be a lot more work than ELJ will be, I'd only need a cassette for a fiddle yard and I could still use the layout without one an shunt around the depot.

Here's the plan

497C57A6-7F03-4149-939C-FA0071E9392A_zps

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Keith if I could get all the track flowing it would look quite good with hand built track, it'll all depend how big it will end up, I wouldn't want to compress anything but it might end up just to big.

I know the depot could hold 4 locos on each road and the stabling sidings could hold at least 6, so I think some studying of the templot user manual is on the cards, that could take some time haha.

Thanks again, Paul

It's got a lot more play value than ELJ and like Keith said you could connect that on the end one day

The plan looks good but do you need another crossover so trains can arrive and depart from any platform ?i think the prototype there was one under what will be the scenic break to sure,you could have it off scene

If the longest platform is 6 coaches long (I'm an n gauger so not sure how long a coach is in 00 ) just under a foot a coach? Mabe 9inches a Mark1 ? Then your taking 6 foot for the platform at with a loco mabe then another 4for the pointwork mabe 3 and a half then 4,5or 6 upto the bridge then another 6 foot for the fiddle so in a straight line possibly 19-20 feet mabe slightly more

I'd do it as a U shape makes the plan more manageable unless you've 20 foot

Sorry it's all guess work lol but it's a good idea and one I think you'll enjoy (you do like your TMD's ) and the sound of a few DMU's sat idling in the platforms would sound great lol

Sorry to put my two penneth in mate lol

Brian

George T and I took a trip to Buxton about 10 Years ago, here are some pics that may be of help.

post-9335-0-93107000-1451395672_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44515500-1451395706_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-42333000-1451395750_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-22711600-1451395801_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09519500-1451395860_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45567800-1451395896_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-20749100-1451395932_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13031800-1451395980_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-43343000-1451396021_thumb.jpg

Bloody shame really, I don't know if you can still get down the Footpath to get around the back like we did.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Bri, I was trying to measure it up before, I think the platforms can hold 7 coaches an a loco going by google earth, so I recon the scenic section would be around 15' not that bothered about fiddle yard at the mo as it would only need to be for dmu's etc.

It does have a lot more play value like you said mate.

As it is now off google earth

7CB64EC5-808F-4D5B-9FC6-87C48C856CE1.png

An a few pics off Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/39hcsj

https://flic.kr/p/yXcv44

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

George T and I took a trip to Buxton about 10 Years ago, here are some pics that may be of help.

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 093.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 094.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 120.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 127.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 105.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 109.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 111.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 113.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 117.jpg

Bloody shame really, I don't know if you can still get down the Footpath to get around the back like we did.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

Cheers Andy that's great!!

I was thinking of maybe taking a trip up there to take a few pics in the new year, those photos really help though, thanks very much.

Thanks again, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, Railway Modeller November 2011 pages 872 to 876 Buxton TMD

Cheers Keith there was a good one I the late 80's early 90's to, if I remember correctly there was a few good layout in that addition.

Thanks again, Paul

HI I am currently modelling Buxton based around late 80s early 90s

mostly railfreight red stripe 31s 37s and class 20s for 80s and moving on to sector 37/5 37/4 and class 60s with the odd 47 thrown in . Dmu are Bachmann class 150 2 repainted to gmpt livery and others are 1 Merseyside and early provincial light blue and later blue liverys . I also have buxton class 108 and various class 104 converted from Hornby 110 so lots of motive power to run all dcc and some with sound

I have the depot building complete and is approx. 3ft scale length, platform 1 nearest to depot building is 7 ft long and platform 2 6 ft long

total length of layout is 24 ft by 2 ft

hope that might give you thoughts on what can be done

Cheers Dave

Archived