• RMweb Gold

HI I am currently modelling Buxton based around late 80s early 90s

mostly railfreight red stripe 31s 37s and class 20s for 80s and moving on to sector 37/5 37/4 and class 60s with the odd 47 thrown in . Dmu are Bachmann class 150 2 repainted to gmpt livery and others are 1 Merseyside and early provincial light blue and later blue liverys . I also have buxton class 108 and various class 104 converted from Hornby 110 so lots of motive power to run all dcc and some with sound

I have the depot building complete and is approx. 3ft scale length, platform 1 nearest to depot building is 7 ft long and platform 2 6 ft long

total length of layout is 24 ft by 2 ft

hope that might give you thoughts on what can be done

Cheers Dave

Cheers Dave I'm gona have to move into a barn!

Your layout sound great any pics and is the 24' including a fiddle yard or is it all scenic?

Thanks for the info it's much appreciated :)

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul

Last 6 ft is fiddle yard as only needs to hold 2 or 3car dmu and class 37 or 4 with 3 oil tanks or sandite coach which is a conversion into an unpowered 104 dmc  coach with railtec transfers applied from the BUXTON DEPOT PACK.

Most of the traffic on buxton depot was double or triple headed locos coming from the quarries for refuel and exams

Will try to get some photos on soon but working on fitting heathcote uncouplers to the fuel sidings and platform 2 to make it hands free shunting for the fuel tanks

cheers Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

Last 6 ft is fiddle yard as only needs to hold 2 or 3car dmu and class 37 or 4 with 3 oil tanks or sandite coach which is a conversion into an unpowered 104 dmc  coach with railtec transfers applied from the BUXTON DEPOT PACK.

Most of the traffic on buxton depot was double or triple headed locos coming from the quarries for refuel and exams

Will try to get some photos on soon but working on fitting heathcote uncouplers to the fuel sidings and platform 2 to make it hands free shunting for the fuel tanks

cheers Dave

Thanks Dave that's stopped me sweating a little ;) if I start this it'll be built in stages and it's going to be a long project. But I've always had a thing for depots, it will be with a heavy heart if I decide to put aside ELJ though.

It would be great to see some pics though have you got a layout thread on here Dave?

Cheers, Paul

George T and I took a trip to Buxton about 10 Years ago, here are some pics that may be of help.

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 093.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 094.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 120.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 127.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 105.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 109.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 111.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 113.jpg

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 117.jpg

Bloody shame really, I don't know if you can still get down the Footpath to get around the back like we did.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

The Ghosts Andy.

Not to mention the sadness of decline.

Ian

Hi Paul,

Sounds (& looks) like a good plan to me, will be interested to see how you get on.

A good source of old magazines if you're interested, is from the Manchester model railway society (I'm a member!);

http://mmrs.co.uk/magazines-model-railways/

We sold a lot at our recent exhibition but worth an email if there's anything you need.

Cheers,

John E.

PS I did ocasionally cycle up to Buxton station from Derby in the 80's and 90's, best was when Peak Rail were doing Austerity rides nearby.

Go for it.

Only one small request/suggestion. Before you do so would you ballast and weather your famous double crossing on ELJ? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would really like to see how it turns out.

Buxton looks an interesting option and will certainly have more variety (and more challenges) than ELJ. Visiting heavy locos as well as 350's (and Drewry's since you're in the 1960s)... summer visits by 40's on rail tour.

Only one thing- 24's were absolutely banned from Buxton, so you won't need your SLW24, so I suppose I will have to help you and swap it for a packet of track pins or something.

• RMweb Gold

Go for it.

Only one small request/suggestion. Before you do so would you ballast and weather your famous double crossing on ELJ? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would really like to see how it turns out.

Buxton looks an interesting option and will certainly have more variety (and more challenges) than ELJ. Visiting heavy locos as well as 350's (and Drewry's since you're in the 1960s)... summer visits by 40's on rail tour.

Only one thing- 24's were absolutely banned from Buxton, so you won't need your SLW24, so I suppose I will have to help you and swap it for a packet of track pins or something.

Thanks everyone for the replies and input it's much appreciated.

Derek would two packets of track pins be asking to much?? ;)

I was up in the room just before looking at the junction and I do feel really sad, I feel like I'm walking out on one of my kids or Mrs, sad I know but every minute of my free time over the last one an half years has been spent researching and building ELJ, I'll do my best to finish the ballast and weathering of the junction but it will be with a very heavy heart I'm afraid to say.

As for Buxton, if I can build it, I really need to measure it up properly as I know scenically it will be larger than ELJ but it could be used with a fiddle yard. In this house a completely set up Buxton or any layout in fact is a no go, but if I can build the depot area in two sections first then I can build the station an approaches later on then I think I can give this a go.

I'm going to add a little bit to the depot if I can, such as a stores siding etc but I'll try and do a doodle later.

Thanks again, Paul

Hi Paul, It will be good to see ELJ ballasted and weathered but rule No1 applies its your railway. As too Buxton build in modules is the way forward. The plan I am hatching will based on a modular design. Part one will be a former steam shed used as a diesel base. Mind you I like the planning a lot so it maybe some time before wheels turn.

Keith

Paul

as you know I have spent around 15 months researching, learning, designing and planning my number one project and recently I have had to accept that I neither have the time at the moment nor (in my case- not suggesting yours) the skills to complete it. Therefore I have moved onto a new project but that does not mean that I have abandoned 50G.

Likewise, just because your current circumstances are not compatible with completing ELJ it does not mean that you never will in the future. You achieved something that you told me you doubted you would (although I knew you would in the end)- a double junction. That has got to be pretty good practice for the track work that you are about to build for Buxton- having looked at the photos, you won't be able to replicate it only using C&L ready made kits.... but now you have the skills to make turnouts how you need them- so even if (which for a moment I do not believe) that you never complete ELJ one day, it will live on in Buxton.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Keith, I love seeing diesels on former steam sheds, problem is most of them were pretty big, I first started back in n gauge an I started building a steam shed converted to diesel, it was well before I joined Rmweb but if I can find any pics I'll post them, once the match is finished I'll do a new doodle.

One problem with Buxton though is I know next to nothing about the area, were as I was pretty clued up on railways around Liverpool.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Paul

as you know I have spent around 15 months researching, learning, designing and planning my number one project and recently I have had to accept that I neither have the time at the moment nor (in my case- not suggesting yours) the skills to complete it. Therefore I have moved onto a new project but that does not mean that I have abandoned 50G.

Likewise, just because your current circumstances are not compatible with completing ELJ it does not mean that you never will in the future. You achieved something that you told me you doubted you would (although I knew you would in the end)- a double junction. That has got to be pretty good practice for the track work that you are about to build for Buxton- having looked at the photos, you won't be able to replicate it only using C&L ready made kits.... but now you have the skills to make turnouts how you need them- so even if (which for a moment I do not believe) that you never complete ELJ one day, it will live on in Buxton.

You know what Derek, you post has hit something on the head, I might not finish ELJ anytime soon but there's no reason that in four-five years time when I've got my man shed I can have one one side an one the other, I can plan Buxton with a weight of my shoulders now and I can finish the ballasting and weathering knowing it's not a waste of time or effort. (If any non railway modellers read this they'll think I'm nuts/mad/a looney)

I'll sleep tonight now :)

Cheers, Paul

And what's wrong with O gauge?

I was pointed in this direction by a mutual acquaintance. Buxton eh? A superb location, and as said before more play value, with or without a fiddle yard.

Are you over this way anytime soon? If so, you are welcome to pop in and I will go through the basics of Templot with you. You will find lots of help and videos on the Templot user site too.

All the best with this project Paul, I think it ticks more boxes than ELJ does for you.

Jinny ;)

• RMweb Gold

And what's wrong with O gauge?

I was pointed in this direction by a mutual acquaintance. Buxton eh? A superb location, and as said before more play value, with or without a fiddle yard.

Are you over this way anytime soon? If so, you are welcome to pop in and I will go through the basics of Templot with you. You will find lots of help and videos on the Templot user site too.

All the best with this project Paul, I think it ticks more boxes than ELJ does for you.

Jinny ;)

Thanks Jinty it defo has more playability, I'll see if the Mrs wants to visit her sister one day, she's only about 20-30 drive from yours so I could dump her there an I could pop over, although I might end up leaving yours converted to O gauge!!!! :O

Thanks for the kind offer though I'll try an sort something in the new year mate, I'll txt you :)

Thanks again, Paul

Buxton looks like it could be cracking! Will definitely be following with keen interest.

It sounds like there's plenty of planning and design work to be doing for Buxton which will take time, why not continue with the modelling on ELJ until you're ready to lay down the boards for Buxton? That way you still have some modelling to do whilst you're in planning stage for Buxton?

Whatever you decide it's you're railway and we'll all be keen to see more of you excellent modelling whatever it is of!

best wishes,

Marcus.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks fellas, still lots to plan with Buxton but I've been having a play around with some track this afternoon, I recon the holding sidings will take up around 8', I don't want any compression even though it would make sense I like my layouts to be a realistic as possible when it comes to scale I'm possibly my own worst enemy).

I've also done a rough diagram not to scale. I've added an extra siding which which will led to a small stores platform just to add a bit of interest (1).

I've also made the exit entrance road separate, this would allow shunting in the depot whilst locos are waiting to enter or leave the shed area.

Rough doodle not to scale

269B75E3-C092-4D25-889D-62568E74BE00_zps

An some pics of how the holding sidings might look

From the entrance

885BD5A9-3B6D-448E-ABA7-5977FF99BAB5_zps

942DAABD-76D6-497B-A427-8D98FA55D35B_zps

2F867515-415C-46ED-844A-8175C0B4713B_zps

And from the rear

454F3AA9-A850-453F-8661-AABF5B449096_zps

0169B950-BC6E-4954-A84A-434B61755430_zps

All thoughts and ideas are much appreciated as always.

Cheers, Paul

Paul,

Wholeheartedly agree with your "non-compression" rule.

Whilst each to their own, I find layouts with stations, depots and running line that are greatly compressed to look really quite silly. There are some on here that are really technically good with several platforms, depots, coaling/fuelling stages and cattle docks etc... that then have platforms just long enough for a co-co and 2 carriages.

PS is that diesel brake tender a kit or RTR? Never seen one before.

• RMweb Gold

I've also made the exit entrance road separate, this would allow shunting in the depot whilst locos are waiting to enter or leave the shed area.

I like the idea of a separate arrival/departure line as shown, but you lose head shunt length for the DMU holding sidings. Have you still got enough room to get a three car inside the head shunt point? Even then a six car might need to be split and taken in in two bites.

Apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs.

Another Paul!

Archived