Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

Having just read the article in "Rail", the full extent of the damage has become apparent. It explains some of David's pictures where the old timberwork was dug up.

As they are going back to redesigning and then recreating the sea wall and track bed, it will be some time before trains are running again for sure.

I am very surprised the "Rail Engineer" have made no mention of this ongoing job, I expect they are awaiting a conclusion. May be a long wait!!

• Like 2

Having just read the article in "Rail", the full extent of the damage has become apparent. It explains some of David's pictures where the old timberwork was dug up.

As they are going back to redesigning and then recreating the sea wall and track bed, it will be some time before trains are running again for sure.

I am very surprised the "Rail Engineer" have made no mention of this ongoing job, I expect they are awaiting a conclusion. May be a long wait!!

More likely due to their deadlines; their last issue may have gone to press before NR were able to provide an interviewee and material. It does look as though it'll be a very long job. Some sort of concrete raft on bored piles will probably have to be built to support the track, whilst a new wall will have to be constructed inside the existing. The existing would then either be removed, or pressure grouted from the inside to fill the cracks to slow the rate at which it detoriates. Once again, our thanks are due to David for his excellent series of photos. It's to be hoped that they'll somehow be conserved for posterity.

• Like 1

Yesterday, the permanent way gang, were sent up to Abbots Cliff Tunnel.

Today, I was not really expecting anything happening.

But once on the cliffpath,I was a bit taken aback,with the appearance of the materials train.

I had checked,every day the Realtimes train w/site. no info had been given.

25619033845_e731bcc0f7_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Would interesting to know what these guys are up to,against the seawall.

25526365451_282d42a130_b.jpg

25593221686_9bb9ca93d0_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

25593221686_9bb9ca93d0_b.jpg

25618890185_bcecc85d09_b.jpg

• Like 4

I wonder if those chaps drilling into the wall were installing some sort of measuring device to see how much the wall moves when there's a bit of a sea?

Those concrete patches are odd; I can't thing why they might have done something superficial like that, unless that's the upper part of some pressure-grouting. I really ought to show these photos to sister and brother-in-law; they're both geotechnical engineers, though these days b-i-l's retired and sis spends here time dealing in the technicalities of landfill site.

• Like 2

When I was learning "environmental French" before taking students off (in loco parentis in the days when we still loved the EU) into Europe, the tutor said never mind the detail, concentrate on the big picture -  paragraph by paragraph.

Her advice has always stayed with me  - so lets not rush to judgement on a few patches of readymix. If it is to provide a datum from which to take stock of movement, I would have thought there were more sophisticated ways of assessing this these days with GPS and satellite imagery analysis.

So what are the options we onlookers can generate?

• I've already given you IKB's recommendation
  • I recall (was it Mr 0 gauge Lancaster Green Ayre ?) suggesting stabilising this stretch with a repeat of Samphire point - as a site for chunk of coastal Real Estate it would fund this option
  • do we need a sea wall at all if the railway is stabilised as a viaduct - as Stationmaster suggests. Let the sea do what it wants below.
  • Re-arrange the Norwegian boulders so as to protect a laminated/welded waterproof membrane to keep the sea out.
  • What about a wall of pensioned off Cruise Liners moored alongside the tracks as coastal protection - a kind of revival of camping coaches. ("Port outward Starb... um.. no, trade descriptions Act) ?
  • What about s/h Cruise Liners along there as temporary migrant accomm....

...time for bed said Zebadee :jester:

dh

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if those chaps drilling into the wall were installing some sort of measuring device to see how much the wall moves when there's a bit of a sea?

Those concrete patches are odd; I can't thing why they might have done something superficial like that, unless that's the upper part of some pressure-grouting. I really ought to show these photos to sister and brother-in-law; they're both geotechnical engineers, though these days b-i-l's retired and sis spends here time dealing in the technicalities of landfill site.

Looks to me like they are taking core samples to assess the condition and strength of the concrete - unless they holes are meant for drainage (but that would work two ways of course!)

The concrete patches might well be in connection with some other measuring activity - providing a suitable base for kit?

• Like 1

I know we are concentrating on the repairs, to the Eastern side of Shakespeare Tunnel.

But, thought you might like to see the Western side of Shakey tunnel.

I needed to walk, kill or cure day.

So after taking the photos, of delivery of materials and lunch on top of Shakey, a walk along the North Downs Way and down to the tunnel,then into Samphire Hoe,for a cuppa,in the office.

Heading West, leaving the top of Shakey.

25596257176_0b35880014_b.jpg

24991791084_27f117f4b0_b.jpg

Looking West, am heading for that slip road,into the depression,that is the tunnel entrance, that will take me down to the Hoe.

25596194026_cb05556f35_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

In the tunnel,the walkway, is raised above the road.

25503433472_755c283efe_b.jpg

Tunnel opens out into a tranquil world.

25503423792_f57e6cc40f_b.jpg

• Like 4

You didn't see my binoculars whilst you were down there, David?

How long ago were those photos taken? The running rail surfaces are clean, but the conducter rail could use some WD40.

I took the photos at 1430 hours yesterday,

As I said,in a previous post, the PW gang were dispatched to Abbotscliff tunnel,(you can see it in the distance), they used rail/road converted vehicles for transport, hence the clean rails.

Edited by David Todd

I took the photos at 1430 hours yesterday,

As I said,in a previous post, the PW gang were dispatched to Abbotscliff tunnel,(you can see it in the distance), they used rail/road converted vehicles for transport, hence the clean rails.

Thanks- I missed the reference to the PW gangs. Presumably, they accessed the site via the gates at the Warren; there are still some narrow-gauge rails set in the hard-standing there, btw, from the days when they had a batching plant for the sea defences.

• Like 1

Thanks- I missed the reference to the PW gangs. Presumably, they accessed the site via the gates at the Warren; there are still some narrow-gauge rails set in the hard-standing there, btw, from the days when they had a batching plant for the sea defences.

No, you can see in this photo, the black fencing,in the buddlea hedge line, these are large lockable gates, to the lineside trackway.

25622049185_6f47b0650e_b.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Bit more pointless trivia - this area in Davids photos was used quite a lot during the filming of the 1969? film "Battle of Britan". One man I worked live on the estate featured in some of Davids photos and had photos of mock ups of various German and RAF planes that were left after the filming for a few weeks until disposed of.

I know we are concentrating on the repairs, to the Eastern side of Shakespeare Tunnel.

But, thought you might like to see the Western side of Shakey tunnel.

Looking West, am heading for that slip road,into the depression,that is the tunnel entrance, that will take me down to the Hoe.

25596194026_cb05556f35_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

I

• Like 2