Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

Dave covered Priory & the beach today,  I got the bit in the middle.

Hadn’t noticed 4w wagons before & today at least two grades of stone.

post-28432-0-25753200-1458228154_thumb.jpgpost-28432-0-15802300-1458228214_thumb.jpgpost-28432-0-67664200-1458228310_thumb.jpg

Came across this interesting view on the internet, can’t remember where.

Perhaps it is wellknown & the experts can give further details.

post-28432-0-49455000-1458228334.jpg

Unusual to see track & a wagon on the beach itself as well as piles of timber & a dangling lifebelt.

Perhaps trestle completion or repairs.

I supplied the Landrover + trollies + manrider photo a few days back.

We both arrived at Samphire Hoe simultaneously & they didn’t enter the tunnel.

After about a half hour the little convoy headed off back towards Abbotscliffe or Folkestone.

I missed that as well, chatting to one of the Rangers.

Brief Encounter indeed !

For the record the Landrover was from TOTAL RAIL SOLUTIONS who have an interesting website at  -

http://www.totalrailsolutions.co.uk/

Edited by helcion
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think they may be intending to drive piles to support a new sub-base, possibly concrete, for the trackbed. They appear to be prospecting for and marking pile locations, which would have to be evenly spaced and avoid the locations of the old timbers. With the base for the track supported by the piles, the old timbering can be allowed to deteriorate. Any voids created will be irrelevant. Presumably the life expectancy of the piles in contact with salty ground water will be sufficient. Note I am not a civil engineer, but have had some dealings with piling layouts for soft ground (on land reclamation fill over estuarine mud with prehistoric peat and clay beneath).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think they may be intending to drive piles to support a new sub-base, possibly concrete, for the trackbed. They appear to be prospecting for and marking pile locations, which would have to be evenly spaced and avoid the locations of the old timbers. With the base for the track supported by the piles, the old timbering can be allowed to deteriorate. Any voids created will be irrelevant. Presumably the life expectancy of the piles in contact with salty ground water will be sufficient. Note I am not a civil engineer, but have had some dealings with piling layouts for soft ground (on land reclamation fill over estuarine mud with prehistoric peat and clay beneath).

It definitely looks as if they are doing something of that sort - in effect a totally new structure slightly inland of the existing wall which will then be left to gradually decay.

• Like 1