Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

I wonder what the rôle of that crane is in the great scheme of things? I struggle to see what a crane with such a long jib might be employed to do, though its arrival does explain why all the fine stone is being employed to create a working platform.

I don't think they are going to let it sit around, might find out,when I return tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think they are going to let it sit around, might find out,when I return tomorrow.

Looking at the website it would seem that BPH have had a lot of involvement in seawall etc piling including locations where there has been scour.  Which suggests that it might be used for piling works.

I wonder if there'll be another 'crane' arrive in the next day or two; this time with a piling rig on the front. That Mercedes lorry with the box body will have come up with a pretty accurate view of the sub-surface structure, which they'll need in order to place any piling precisely.

I still can't work out what those two 'bulges' in the juice rail are about- any ideas, anyone? Surely, if a sprung conductor shoe encounters something like that, it'll get torn off?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there'll be another 'crane' arrive in the next day or two; this time with a piling rig on the front. That Mercedes lorry with the box body will have come up with a pretty accurate view of the sub-surface structure, which they'll need in order to place any piling precisely.

I still can't work out what those two 'bulges' in the juice rail are about- any ideas, anyone? Surely, if a sprung conductor shoe encounters something like that, it'll get torn off?

The 'Bulges' are where the conductor rail insulators have been broken / displaced due to the actions of RRVs - the bits of wood are probably to help them get on or off the line.

Yes they will require fixing before the line reopens but given that won't be happening any time soon its hardly a priority - particularly as its entirely possible more damage may occur (though if that were likely NR should be looking at removing the conrail and relaying it when the track goes back in to the area under repair so as to avoid wasting money).

• Like 1

The 'Bulges' are where the conductor rail insulators have been broken / displaced due to the actions of RRVs - the bits of wood are probably to help them get on or off the line.

Yes they will require fixing before the line reopens but given that won't be happening any time soon its hardly a priority - particularly as its entirely possible more damage may occur (though if that were likely NR should be looking at removing the conrail and relaying it when the track goes back in to the area under repair so as to avoid wasting money).

Thanks for that, Phil; I realise fixing them isn't a priority, I was more interested in how, given their curious symetry, they might have happened in the first place.

• Like 1

Interesting to see what is now happening with that extra fencing going in - some maybe some sort of work immediately at the back of the existing wall?

Given its proximity to the cracks in the sea-wall, it's perhaps to stop plant and personnel discovering a sink hole using empirical methods.

• Like 3