Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

Really enjoying the picture updates David,

I was tempted to go out this morning and catch the engineers train, wish i had now.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2016-03-10 at 19.03.40.png

Graham.

Yes G, would be nice if someone had the time to capture it,on the way down and put the photos up.

It was an early start today, normally it would leave Hoo Up Yard at 0800 hours.

Yes G, would be nice if someone had the time to capture it,on the way down and put the photos up.

It was an early start today, normally it would leave Hoo Up Yard at 0800 hours.

I was going to catch it through Meopham, maybe next time.

G

• Like 1

Very interesting stuff - especially the Turneresque lashed-to-the-foremast footage in the southerly (?) gale.

By what kind of % does the roll resistance of that materials train increase in creeping around 10 chain curve compared to level straight pw?

How long does it take to unload with those machines?

Can you remind us please where that roadstone originates?

many thanks

Very interesting stuff - especially the Turneresque lashed-to-the-foremast footage in the southerly (?) gale.

By what kind of % does the roll resistance of that materials train increase in creeping around 10 chain curve compared to level straight pw?

How long does it take to unload with those machines?

Can you remind us please where that roadstone originates?

many thanks

1 Significantly, though the maths are beyond me; there are pages of stuff on the Internet devoted to this.

2 The machines are surprisingly quick and thorough- my old boss, who had been depot manager at TML Sevington during the Channel Tunnel's construction, reckoned there was very little between hopper and grab discharge, once you'd allowed for the time opening, closing and checking doors. I'd estimate between five and ten minutes for one of the bogie wagons, and less for the four wheelers;so about 2-3 hours for a 20-wagon train.

3 I don't think anything about the point of origin of that roadstone has been mentioned, though the trains are despatched from Hoo Jct (North Kent). It looks as though it's fairly dark-coloured; could it be granite from Mountsorrel or elsewhere in the Charnwood Forest area?

• Like 1

Thanks for that response FC - interesting about the time taken over checking doors etc.on hoppers.

RaR wonders whether the RaR materials train would have been postponed  had it been blowing a gale like the day before.

I do realise the roll resistance stuff is hugely complex; it just struck those guys top and tailing the train would have been aware of an enormous wattage being exerted from DP on to the siteworks, compared to the return.

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that response FC - interesting about the time taken over checking doors etc.on hoppers.

RaR wonders whether the RaR materials train would have been postponed  had it been blowing a gale like the day before.

I do realise the roll resistance stuff is hugely complex; it just struck those guys top and tailing the train would have been aware of an enormous wattage being exerted from DP on to the siteworks, compared to the return.

dh

I presume the rear loco is ANR (Attached Not Required) and is there to simplify operation by avoiding the need to run round.  So in fact it isn't providing power on the back but is actually adding deadweight.

I presume the rear loco is ANR (Attached Not Required) and is there to simplify operation by avoiding the need to run round. So in fact it isn't providing power on the back but is actually adding deadweight.

Yes you are correct, the rear 66 is being towed unpowered, to the site, the reverse,on the return trip.

A max of 4 hours to unload materials, includes, the lunch break.

Also to remember, it may have to be loaded with spoil or site waste, not much of that though.

Edited by David Todd

These, seem like mushrooms',more appearing after dark.

I would propose these are fitted with teak panels, foot rests at the bottom, with removable fitted cushions.

Great place to sun bathe,later in the year, from sunrise to 1700 in the summer.

25580869212_52502b6d81_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

25069120324_604d4501f0_b.jpg

25606932901_2affce2260_b.jpg

• Like 5

While waiting,for the fog to be burnt away today,I have have been sent these photos,

By friends Mike Jackson/Nigel Scutt.

This was the day before,I went to Samphire Hoe,but had been told of it by the Rangers.

Returning to Shakespeare section, after working Abbotscliffe section.

They are about to enter western side of Shakey Tunnel.

post-13585-0-84862100-1457783084_thumb.jpeg

post-13585-0-01699900-1457783119_thumb.jpeg

post-13585-0-31758200-1457783159_thumb.jpeg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The idea of those patches of concrete now looks a bit clearer - although so odd that I might be on the wrong track - but they seem to be sloped to ensure water run-off, hence the holes bored in the wall.  Presumably this is to avoid  or mitigate against the newly added material being washed away by heavy seas?

• Like 1