Manxcat

Just been talking to Virgin Trains ,on the 26th I will be on train to Carlisle from MK and arrive Carlisle at 9.25  shuttle train at 9.55 arrive Glasgow  at 12.08 in the show by 12.30 not to bad at all.Coming back Glasgow to Carlisle catch the 18.46 to MK long day but worth it they are doing a grand job considering all the problems and no buses ,any points of interest on the diversion route I should be looking out for?

• RMweb Gold

Just been talking to Virgin Trains ,on the 26th I will be on train to Carlisle from MK and arrive Carlisle at 9.25  shuttle train at 9.55 arrive Glasgow  at 12.08 in the show by 12.30 not to bad at all.Coming back Glasgow to Carlisle catch the 18.46 to MK long day but worth it they are doing a grand job considering all the problems and no buses ,any points of interest on the diversion route I should be looking out for?

I'd check that if I were you.  The gen I've been given is that the 18:40 GLC to CAR is a bus.  :cry:

One of us has been given a bum steer. :no:

• RMweb Premium

The new flyover at Norton Bridge just north of Stafford where the Manchester line will leave the West Coast main line.

Quite a lot of extensive civil engineering.

I will be at Glasgow with Altone Quay come and say hello

Terry

any points of interest on the diversion route I should be looking out for?

Seem to recall it being pretty dull until you get to about Holywood or Thornhill - with the exception of Dumfries station which has probably the most attractive architecture on the GSW network.

Drumlanrig gorge is pretty attractive at the right time of year; loads of mechanical signalling between Dumfries and Kilmarnock; and usually with pre-group Glasgow and Sou'West signal boxes.  A few LMS built ones too.  

You'll cross the River Ayr on the / one of the largest stone arch bridges - but probably won't notice this from the train.  Kilmarnock has a couple of railway works to the west of the line: former Hunslet Barclays' (dunno the current brand name - Wabtec?) beside the station and another one just to the north.  Kilmarnock station is recently part-refurbished with "cute" BR(Sc) style signage.

More signalboxes at Lugton and Barrhead, the latter being a Caley design.

All far more interesting than the WCML.  But slower.

I have descended from the attic where I've been sheltering from the latest bout of seriously bad weather to find it's now February and the month of Model Rail Scotland!

J38 is progressing nicely but doubt if I'll have it finished in time for running on Alloa at the show, however we are not short of J38s. Heading to ScRSG headquarters tomorrow evening for more wee tasks on Alloa, to hopefully pick up buffers from engineer Franks and to listen to Vitalspark. Not a great selection of biscuits last week so may have to bring a box of Goodfellow and Stephen's legendary Chocolate Violets - a delicacy from the east of Scotland and only occasionally smuggled (by me) to the west. Will not be allowed out, however, if I don't first fit new dishwasher - current one beyond sensible repair.

Looking forward to the show and really must write a list of all the bits and pieces I need. Say this before most shows, get lazy, keep list in head and come back with all manner of things I didn't really need and little of what I was desperately needing. Spending may be modest this time - see paragraph above re dishwasher!

I have descended from the attic where I've been sheltering from the latest bout of seriously bad weather to find it's now February and the month of Model Rail Scotland!

J38 is progressing nicely but doubt if I'll have it finished in time for running on Alloa at the show, however we are not short of J38s. Heading to ScRSG headquarters tomorrow evening for more wee tasks on Alloa, to hopefully pick up buffers from engineer Franks and to listen to Vitalspark. Not a great selection of biscuits last week so may have to bring a box of Goodfellow and Stephen's legendary Chocolate Violets - a delicacy from the east of Scotland and only occasionally smuggled (by me) to the west. Will not be allowed out, however, if I don't first fit new dishwasher - current one beyond sensible repair.

Looking forward to the show and really must write a list of all the bits and pieces I need. Say this before most shows, get lazy, keep list in head and come back with all manner of things I didn't really need and little of what I was desperately needing. Spending may be modest this time - see paragraph above re dishwasher!

What number will the j38 be, im always interested in seeing differant loco's with the subtle differences between them such as boilers smokebox doors etc.

Gary

Law will be making an appearance at Glasgow this year, the layout currently up at the club getting titivated for this years shows which include Railx and Perth.

Is this layout DCC yet? 

If so, I could bring my sound fitted Class 47/7 push pull set! 

If not, what about my DC set?

Is this layout DCC yet? 

If so, I could bring my sound fitted Class 47/7 push pull set! 

If not, what about my DC set?

Law will NEVER be DCC its just not practical with its size and the way it works, in the fiddle yard you do need instant control.

Yes bring along a set if you like i am sure we could give it a spin

Regards Arran 

What number will the j38 be, im always interested in seeing differant loco's with the subtle differences between them such as boilers smokebox doors etc.

Gary

Gary,

I'm intending to number it 65905 although I'm not confident I'll have every last rivet right!

The reason for 65905 is the unbuilt kit (SE Finecast) belonged to our great friend Steve Turnbull, one of the founder members of our Scottish Region Study Group, who sadly died aged 63 in 2014. When I bought it, it had a wee sticker on the box with 65905, obviously the number Steve intended to put on it one day. It seems appropriate I make it 65905.

Mike

Gary,

I'm intending to number it 65905 although I'm not confident I'll have every last rivet right!

The reason for 65905 is the unbuilt kit (SE Finecast) belonged to our great friend Steve Turnbull, one of the founder members of our Scottish Region Study Group, who sadly died aged 63 in 2014. When I bought it, it had a wee sticker on the box with 65905, obviously the number Steve intended to put on it one day. It seems appropriate I make it 65905.

Mike

Mike

That sound good and a good loco to have a j38 or a few even, i hadnt thought of se finecast to be honest, my two being alaxander kits. One being 65915 and the other a thornton loco, the number eludes me at the moment. On another matter i may bring my j88 over to alloa to compare to the kit built example and see if it is close enough to this loco. I believe it is 68335 on tr layout (the gorgie pilot)?

I look forward to seeing alloa again.

Gary

Frantically getting ready for the show and will be bringing my new layout Glenfinnan for its first outing.

Bill.

Bill,

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Glenfinnan is a most atmospheric location and I have great empathy with the north West of Scotland (and the Islands - it's compulsory, it's where the wife's from!). Always stop at Glenfinnan when I'm passing. Pics certainly make it look most inviting.

Mike

Bill,

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Glenfinnan is a most atmospheric location and I have great empathy with the north West of Scotland (and the Islands - it's compulsory, it's where the wife's from!). Always stop at Glenfinnan when I'm passing. Pics certainly make it look most inviting.

Mike

You'd have a hard job replicating the fog that has always been there when ive been in that part of the world, i can just remember seeing 5407 setting off when the lner lattice posts were still there - it must have been the late 80's when i was a wee lad.

Gary

Thanks for all the comments on Glenfinnan - I hope I have done it justice. There are so many details I wanted to include but not enough time to do them. Will post some more pics soon - but don't want to give too much away - you will have to wait till the show !

Bill.

Working at night was the original plan but local residents complained and the work has been re-scheduled to be carried out during daylight hours.

I will keep a look out to see what happens to rail services from next week and let you know.

Jim

Work has been going on for about 10 days now and services between Glasgow and Kilmarnock/Carlisle are still using the bridge. Hopefully this will be the case by Model Rail Scotland weekend but I still believe that anyone planning to come up by train should check the situation nearer the time.

Jim

My trip up on the Friday will be Virgin MK to Preston change to Northern for Lockebie and then a bus to Glasgow at least I get to try a 350 with a different layout and a new station Lockerbie coming back all Virgin Glasgow and via Carslile extra hour on journey but I will be there for my favourite exhibition of the year.

• RMweb Gold

There is a photograph of a layout in today's Times tablet edition. I don't know if it is in the print edition. The caption says that modellers have started setting up over 50 track layouts in Glasgow for the Model Rail Scotland exhibition next weekend.

I week early I think (hope).

Archived