Lima Siphon G conversion as a first-time project

Pete 75C

Trying to keep it simple, I've decided to make a condemned "static" model. The Collet bogies will have the excess plastic and coupling mounts sliced off and I'll finish the ends off with screw couplings and dummy ETH from scrap wire and plastic. Underframe, although wrong, will have to remain wrong as I don't want to get too involved for a first attempt. The corridor connections will go and the ends will be plated over. Rather than try and remove the lettering and save the Lima paintjob, I might plate a few louvres, prime and spray with Railmatch BR blue. Thanks are due to ChrisB who very kindly posted me a spare set of whitemetal buffers. Thanks are not due to the Royal Mail who delivered me an empty envelope with the end ripped open. Proof indeed that no act of kindness goes unpunished! The local secondhand shop has an old Airfix Centenary coach for a couple of quid. I believe the Siphons had rather chunky square-shank buffers, so although probably not entirely correct, the Centenary might donate its buffers to the Siphon. The Airfix buffers certainly look a lot better than the spindly Lima things which have to go. This is definitely a little "back-burner" project, but I will post some photos at some point. Many thanks to all those who have replied with info etc.

I managed to pick up a new Mopok Hawksworth BG on Ebay for a silly starting price, the seller not doing himself any favours by mis-spelling both "Mopok" and "Hawksworth". I wanted the whitemetal bits and bobs, not least the bogies, buffers, corridor connections and underframe details. That's all that I wanted. If anyone has any use for the printed GW choc & cream sides, whitemetal ends and clear plastic body former, send me a PM. I'll never use them.

• RMweb Premium

I managed to pick up a new Mopok Hawksworth BG on Ebay for a silly starting price, the seller not doing himself any favours by mis-spelling both "Mopok" and "Hawksworth". I wanted the whitemetal bits and bobs, not least the bogies, buffers, corridor connections and underframe details. That's all that I wanted. If anyone has any use for the printed GW choc & cream sides, whitemetal ends and clear plastic body former, send me a PM. I'll never use them.

Good luck with using the bogies...

I had the same idea, having picked up a Mopok Hawksworth BG at Scaleforum a few years back. The bogies need quite a bit of work to make them useable - I ended up just using the sideframes (having filed a whole lot of whitemetal off the reverse) on etched inner bogie frames I had sculling around my scrapbox.

So likewise... if anyone has need of another Mopok HW BG body (sides/ends/core)...

• 3 weeks later...

I got 2 sets of Blacksmith etchings from Coopercraft this week.  Ordered through their website, one phone call to confirm in stock and order received in about 12 days.  Very pretty they look as well. 

I managed to acquire 2 blue Siphons and a CCT on a 'buy now' on E bay for just 12.99, so total investment in 3 vehicles with addition of flushglaze and new wheels for the CCT and some transfers will be about 30 quid. 

Just need to get round to starting the Siphons, which are a straight fit onto a couple of old mainline chassis from outside framed examples. 

Expect no update for a few weeks!       

I got 2 sets of Blacksmith etchings from Coopercraft this week. Ordered through their website, one phone call to confirm in stock and order received in about 12 days. Very pretty they look as well.

I managed to acquire 2 blue Siphons and a CCT on a 'buy now' on E bay for just 12.99, so total investment in 3 vehicles with addition of flushglaze and new wheels for the CCT and some transfers will be about 30 quid.

Just need to get round to starting the Siphons, which are a straight fit onto a couple of old mainline chassis from outside framed examples.

Expect no update for a few weeks!

Coopercraft?

You managed to BUY something FROM Coopercraft??

• RMweb Gold

I have a fleet of Lima siphons on the to do list Pete, so looking forward to seeing your progress. Blacksmith models detailing kits purloined (last year and brand new) and Bachmann Collett bogie route as you have done. I'd like to have a go at the American bogies too, but understand the ABS kit is the only choice here - are they only available secondhand? I very much like the ex GW versions with side ventilators (hence the Blacksmith kits) I think giving the vans a bit more character.

A question for Flood re the Hawksworth BG - did you completely strip the Hornby Crimson/cream paintwork? Looks marvellous. Another on the to do list as well.

The Siphons were regulars on Newspaper trains to and from South Wales in the mid 1970s.

Neil

Hi Neil

Am sure Flood will be along ro respond too...we have stripped two Hawkesworth brakes with Superstrip - http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/precision-paints/solvents-thinners/pq18-superstrip-2.html- usual caveats about sealed containers and well ventilated environments apply!

First one has gangway ends and rain strips intact - another is on the way with the later plated ends and truncated rainstrips

Think I have lust spotted a use for the gangways from that one ... best find a Lima syphon!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Just need to get round to starting the Siphons, which are a straight fit onto a couple of old mainline chassis from outside framed examples. 

I always forget the old Mainline Siphons... had the chance to buy one yesterday, too... :(

Straight fit? Do you/have you planned to alter any of the undergubbins?? Looking at pics of the Mainline outside-frame G chassis, looks to have gas(?) tanks underneath which would not be needed for the later, inside-frame G.

Probably is the answer to that one.  The kit includes some plasticard to make up necessary battery boxes so once I get started I'll look at removing the tanks and replacing with battery boxes, or maybe just bodging some battery boxes.  Main reason I'm using the Mainlines is that I've had them for 20 years anyway and outside frame was outside my timescale, the bogies and wheels options are slightly better than the Lima ones and I'm not looking for award winning underframe perfection, rather than something that will look OK in a rake of other reworked (mostly cheap 2nd hand) vans.   

Plan A was to convert from outside to inside framed by cutting away sides and replacing with tongue and grooved plasticard with bit of working round doors, availability of couple of cheap Lima vans led to plan B. 

I'll start mid Feb when I get back from holiday.

Feather duly applied..... the Coppercraft website is actually very good - payment process easy, I did follow up with a phone call to a very pleasant proprietor after a few days which I think helped propel delivery.  For me the service was pretty good and although I haven't opened etches yet they look like great value at a fiver.   

Feather duly applied..... the Coppercraft website is actually very good - payment process easy, I did follow up with a phone call to a very pleasant proprietor after a few days which I think helped propel delivery.  For me the service was pretty good and although I haven't opened etches yet they look like great value at a fiver.   

Wonders will never cease. Next he'll be telling us that he has fixed the problem of the defective mould tools.

Please excuse me whilst I go and check whether Hell has frozen over......  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Wonders will never cease. Next he'll be telling us that he has fixed the problem of the defective mould tools.

Please excuse me whilst I go and check whether Hell has frozen over......  :jester:

Looking at what he had on his stand at the Taunton show, I think he has got most of the etches sorted out, but the rest of it seems to be diminishing. Any plastic molded stuff was pretty ropy and no whitemetal casting at all. Still a very long way to go, I think.

Looking at what he had on his stand at the Taunton show, I think he has got most of the etches sorted out, but the rest of it seems to be diminishing. Any plastic molded stuff was pretty ropy and no whitemetal casting at all. Still a very long way to go, I think.

Yes at The Weston Super Mud show he was explaneing that he can't yet afford a new injection moulding machine! As the other is cream crackererd Which might explane why he can't squirt out some stock to sell, there was other explanations of why he can't make anything or afford a new machine, but it's best legally I don't say much more

Believe me he would like to supply you

Been waiting over 12 months for some Etched GWR luggage grills he promised me within 'six weeks'

Spoke to him at least three times and there's always lots of burble but no action.

Gave up and got them from Brassmasters in about six days from ordering. (About four months ago)

• RMweb Premium

With regards the transfer carrier film, check out on of Colin Parks excellent EMU builds, where he uses something like micro-sol* to remove the film after the transfers have had a couple of days to harden off.

* might not be micro-sol, I can't remember now!

Andy G

Archived