BRM February + FREE DVD

SteveCole

Although my purchase from W.H.Smiths contained a further 2 printed cards, I reckon those who have to download are not losing too much.

The cards are too shiny and too thin, negating any advantage. 

I will endeavour to print off the downloads and start again.

Why is the fact that two versions of the magazine are being sold, one with printed cards, and one without, seems too difficult to admit?

• RMweb Gold

STRAT'71 thank you for answering my question, it does to me seem odd that they are sending out two different versions but must make sense to someone sure someone will tell us the reason why at some point.

cheers

Mike

• Moderators

Hi Andy,

Please advice me how to download the free kit shown in the January 2016 issue of BRM.

I must be going wrong somewhere along the line, I cannot find a link on the disc supplied

or on the modelrailwayscenery.com site.

Hello,

P.M. sent

Best,

Howard

• Administrators

I understand the concept but I'm struggling finding the difference.

Perhaps this photo will help:

N and 2mm wagons2.jpg

On the left, the 2mm scale wagon, the right a standard Graham Farish model. The 2mm FS wheels are half the width of the N gauge ones.

If you build track to suit, the clearances around the point crossings can be a lot tighter so the track will look better.

Hi all,

Here’s a run-down on what’s inside the February 2016 issue of BRM.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Steve

Thanks very much.  I have my copy of the February issue and it is great as always.  I keep reading the invitation to participate in the product poll for the year but cannot find any link that will take me to a page so that I can take part in the poll.  Can you advise please?  Many thanks, Colin

Thanks very much.  I have my copy of the February issue and it is great as always.  I keep reading the invitation to participate in the product poll for the year but cannot find any link that will take me to a page so that I can take part in the poll.  Can you advise please?  Many thanks, Colin

Hi Colin,

The poll closed on Sunday night I'm afraid (we ran it from Boxing Day), it was printed in the magazine as the 16th Jan but we later worked out we wouldn't have time to design the pages in the March issue of the magazine for the results if we left it open until then.

I don't usually buy BRM but I bought this copy in Smiths as I fancied a read of something railway-related. I am really enjoying the edition so far. What is interesting (to me) is that I really like the article about Croydon North Street, which is odd because I am a steam person, indeed a pre-group fanatic to the point of being boring about it, and I work in 7mm scale. But it's a lovely model, and the attention to detail is really impressive. To me it demonstrates how we can learn from, and be inspired by, modelling that is quite unrelated to our own scale/era/whatever.

That 2mm scale/N Gauge comparison in post #30 above is interesting too. If anyone ever says anything about 7mm FS wheels being 'coarse' again, I shall smile. I quite fancy a bash a 2mm finescale myself, and even have a prototype in mind, but I doubt it will ever come to anything. Not enough time left. I am so slow these days...

• RMweb Premium

I've now read the printed version and watched the DVD. All very enjoyable. I do like the way it seems to be encouraging us to do more modelling instead of ready to run stock and ready to plant buildings.

BRM, RMweb and mremag have together resulted in me changing how I model. The main factors were the BRM/RMweb build a loco challenge (success) and discussion on memag on renumbering locos - that set me off renumbering one, then adding nameplates and weathering it, eight locos now on the workbench for this treatment. I'm now starting to be much more thoughtful in what I buy, make and run. I'm now starting to model actual trains which have a special interest for me and are appropriate for my layout. For example, I'm starting to get all the bits to make a reasonable representation of a Glasgow - Edinburgh push pull set with a class 27 at each end.

As a fairly recent returnee to the world of railway modelling, I have been thinking about having a try at some card buildings, so when I saw a couple of mags in Sainsburys  were offering free card kits, it seemed a good time to give it a go.

I don't normally buy  many rail modelling mags ( the local model shop has  a good stock of free back issues),  the choice on the shelf was RM with a half relief Metcalf kit, and a shrink-wrapped BRM offering, according to the card header, two free gifts, a DVD and  a card building kit.

Having chosen the BRM mag,  I was disappointed to find the "kit"  is in fact incomplete. Browsing this thread indicates that some elements of it may be on the DVD (not checked it yet)  and others may be downloaded,  but this is not what I expected for a quick trial of card modelling.

I must say I am left with a sense of having been duped,  must remember in future,  caveat emptor.   Won't be in a hurry to purchase BRM in the future.  :-(

• RMweb Premium

My WHS sold out (assuming they came in) quickly this month :(

Will consider digital version if I don't find another print copy on my travels.

If you are planning running Pocketmags on the ipad don't buy this magazine in digital form. If you hold it as portrait one page at a time it's OK but go to landscape and one section of the screen blacks out. Their technical help are hopeless. I got no reply. Sent reminder, ignored. Others are reporting the same problem and similar treatment by 'support'.  I think it has to do with the app not keeping up with iOS updates, but they should be aware of this and at least talk to their customers. BRM are obviously not bothered either. Should say Hornby mag is behaving the same, I haven't bothered trying to get help their. MR, D/Ld on a different app is fine.

• Administrators

My WHS sold out (assuming they came in) quickly this month :(

Will consider digital version if I don't find another print copy on my travels.

You can buy online; https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/store/back-issues/british-railway-modelling/british-railway-modelling-february-2016

I know this is a bit late, the March issue being almost upon us, but why did my subscription copy of the Feb edition arrive over a week later than it was available in WH Smith and elsewhere?

Not only that, but I see the copies in Smiths have the card kit as an extra inside the big plastic bag, and my subscription copy doesn't have it at all....

• Administrators

How did Phil Parker go about cutting out the Windows, without damaging the bar's between the Window panes?

Julie

Sharp knife. Regular blade changes. Start each cut in the corner as shown on the DVD that came with the first installment.

Yes, it did take hours!

• RMweb Gold

As Phil says, take your time and use a sharp knife, the scalpel with point is better, but be careful as you can run into the window glazing bars and cut through them.

I printed out the windows on self adhesive paper, which is quite thick.

Again as Phil says start the cut at the glazing bars and work away from them towards the middle of the window, that way you wont run into the edge and cut through them.

Have fun!

Cheers

Ian 

• RMweb Premium

I've just bought the Feb. issue in Canada. I missed the Jan. issue through being out of the country.

Is there anything in the Jan. issue I need to know to build the kit?

Observation: 2 files of kit bits on the Feb. DVD. Store copies here were not in plastic and had no card sheets.

Everything else looks nice; I'm still way behind in my reading.

Archived